Coronavirus - Page 202 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, exile said:

That Whitty guy yesterday, saying more or less that it ain't going to work they need to do more. And the revelation that SAGE had recommended doing more but they (UK Govt) didn't act on it. Now Starmer calling for more, like a 2-3 week 'circuit break' lockdown. I don't recall Labour in Scotland supporting the current restrictions or urging going further; at least, the opposition seemed to spend all last week gurning about the restrictions and their effect hospitality business.

I know this is/could/should above & beyond party politics but we can't ignore the political dimension either. Maybe they really should all get together if it meant that they'd cooperate, and stop opposing things for opposition's sake. But hard to see how that would work, if (say) Tories want to go at slower pace of Johnson and/or put business first, while Scots Govt wants to act faster; it could end up in stalemate.

Even if all the Scottish parties got together in agreement (and let's face it, that ain't going to happen) we still wouldn't have the powers, or the access to funds to do anything significantly different to what's happening down south. We are just tinkering at the edges.

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Even if all the Scottish parties got together in agreement (and let's face it, that ain't going to happen) we still wouldn't have the powers, or the access to funds to do anything significantly different to what's happening down south. We are just tinkering at the edges.

Yes I realise that, it would probably need to involve Rishi Sunak agreeing a furlough scheme to match Scots Govt desired level of restrictions so that both could somehow share credit in doing the right thing. I only brought up  the scenario to try to think of a way of not bringing politics into it but it seems impossible.

Border restrictions are another one. For that one it probably really needs Drakeford to bring in first, on Eng-Wales border, since, as a unionist, and with Labour cross-border support, it wouldn't be screamed at for being too "nationalist/anti-English". For Scotland to do it unilaterally would be difficult.

Back in June, England had the opportunity to suppress the virus. With a functional test and trace system, support to help people self-isolate, a robust set of regulations to keep work and leisure spaces safe and a clear public communications campaign, we could have suppressed coronavirus into the winter.

But the opportunity was squandered. Worse, as restrictions were lifted on 4 July – what became known colloquially as “Freedom Saturday” – we were encouraged to relax, to travel back to work, to go to the pub, to mix and mingle. Meanwhile, the country’s dysfunctional, centralised and privately-run test and trace system lurched from one calamity to the next. World class?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/13/johnson-ignored-science-second-wave-sage-advice?CMP=share_btn_tw

On 10/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, phart said:

September 11th to september 25th went 45 to 89. so 2 weeks to double. Folk in hospital, this is.

September 25th to October 3rd went 89 to 191 so that's 8 days.

7 day average took 11 days to double though for new admissions. (chart updates tomorrow for this weeks numbers so that's 6 days out fo date atm)

hospitals more than doubled in 8 days there again.

2 doubling periods away from peak atm, although it's nowhere near as fats as March which was 4 day doubling.

8 days for ICU to double as well.

Deaths fortunately still down though as hospitals get better at mitigating fatalities. Some hospitals are really busy though, can't have high risk patients in for certain operations etc if too many covid patients, the risk is too high, a cancer ward in Edinburgh had 4 fatalities once Covid got into it.

Notice how easy they got Baroness Dido to stand down when she affected TalkTalk but can't get her to fuck off from test and trace. Mental.

4 hours ago, phart said:

Back in June, England had the opportunity to suppress the virus. With a functional test and trace system, support to help people self-isolate, a robust set of regulations to keep work and leisure spaces safe and a clear public communications campaign, we could have suppressed coronavirus into the winter.

But the opportunity was squandered. Worse, as restrictions were lifted on 4 July – what became known colloquially as “Freedom Saturday” – we were encouraged to relax, to travel back to work, to go to the pub, to mix and mingle. Meanwhile, the country’s dysfunctional, centralised and privately-run test and trace system lurched from one calamity to the next. World class?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/13/johnson-ignored-science-second-wave-sage-advice?CMP=share_btn_tw

As someone who lives in England, while I see general high compliance with mask wearing, even outwith mandatory environments, social distancing seems to have gone completely out of the window here some months ago.   Anecdotal example, the other week, I was sitting on a bench in the local high street, opposite McDonalds waiting for a mate of mine to turn up.  I was sitting at one of the bench, which was probably around 2m or so long.  Basically if someone sat at the opposite end there was probably enough space between us.  I had my bag next to me on the bench - not something I would do in normal times - some bloke sat down next me, directly the other side of my bag, so definitely less than 1m between us and started wolfing down his big mac - obviously not wearing a mask.

Other little things like when I'm out, back at the start, people were very aware of space and distance and generally did their best to observe a proper distance, stepping to the side to let people pass and the like.  That all seems to be less noticeable.

17 minutes ago, aaid said:

As someone who lives in England, while I see general high compliance with mask wearing, even outwith mandatory environments, social distancing seems to have gone completely out of the window here some months ago.   Anecdotal example, the other week, I was sitting on a bench in the local high street, opposite McDonalds waiting for a mate of mine to turn up.  I was sitting at one of the bench, which was probably around 2m or so long.  Basically if someone sat at the opposite end there was probably enough space between us.  I had my bag next to me on the bench - not something I would do in normal times - some bloke sat down next me, directly the other side of my bag, so definitely less than 1m between us and started wolfing down his big mac - obviously not wearing a mask.

Other little things like when I'm out, back at the start, people were very aware of space and distance and generally did their best to observe a proper distance, stepping to the side to let people pass and the like.  That all seems to be less noticeable.

Really rips my knitting when people without masks walk past you about 10mm away.  I want to get a sharp pointy stick 1.95m long with which I can fend them off if they stray into the exclusion zone.

1 minute ago, Alibi said:

Really rips my knitting when people without masks walk past you about 10mm away.  I want to get a sharp pointy stick 1.95m long with which I can fend them off if they stray into the exclusion zone.

TBF, if its outside and they're walking past you unless they cough in your face the likelihood of infection is slim to non-existent.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54540764

Decisive action from Wales, we should have done the same a while ago. It would have been great seeing Labour and Tory cunts exploding with rage.

You won't see a media frenzy given Drakeford is a Unionist politician with no desire for Indy for Wales. Like you say, if NS goes down that route watch for the likes of Baillie, DRoss and Tom Gordon screaming like apoplectic babboons. You'd hear the cries of 'Anti English Nationalism' from over there mate

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

I was on the train last night. Loads of space available to sit on your own and a guy came up and sat right next to me 😡 I couldnt believe it.

This morning there was a guy sitting further down the carriage. He had a mask on but it was simply covering his chin,  and he was lying sleeping with his mouth wide open , I mean WIDE open, snoring his head off . 
I could hear him snoring from the next section of the carriage. 

23 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

143 deaths recorded and 17.234 new cases most daily deaths since early June 

A further 19,724 cases of coronavirus have been recorded in the UK.

And there have been 137 more deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid-19 in the previous 28 days.

23 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Most people,  and I mean 99% haven't a clue about numbers and have zero understanding of exponential growth. You'd need a hell of an  information message to get that across. 

And 99 % of those no longer give a toss.

“the most consistent predictor of decreased susceptibility to misinformation about Covid-19 was numerical literacy"

"Across all countries surveyed, we find that higher trust in scientists and having higher numeracy skills were associated with lower susceptibility to coronavirus-related misinformation."

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.201199

Edited by phart

3 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

You won't see a media frenzy given Drakeford is a Unionist politician with no desire for Indy for Wales. Like you say, if NS goes down that route watch for the likes of Baillie, DRoss and Tom Gordon screaming like apoplectic babboons. You'd hear the cries of 'Anti English Nationalism' from over there mate

I have just caught glimpse of what appears to be a media frenzy in the making. Including charge of anti-English nationalism, and someone more or less baiting Drakeford about it*. So it is a test of the water for when the apoplectic baboons are to be limbering up.

* Tory Andrew Davies reffered to "The Welsh Government’s unhealthy obsession with travel restrictions and “banning the English” "

Mark Reckless, the Brexit party leader, taunted Drakeford – whose government is a firm supporter of the union – by arguing Wales was “sleepwalking towards independence”

Edited by exile

4 hours ago, phart said:

A further 19,724 cases of coronavirus have been recorded in the UK.

And there have been 137 more deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid-19 in the previous 28 days.

Not looking good nearly 20.000 cases deaths slightly down on the day before bojo will have to have a lockdown at some point there’s no other way of doing it 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Its easy to point th finger at government but people up and down the UK are flaunting the rules. 

Is it really so hard to follow a simple set of rules till this shit show ends?

That's fair, it's also why the support part is so important to change behaviours. It's no surprise there is a correlation between countries that did well and the support they give people to make it much easier to follow the rules.

There's also no mechanism to police individuals but there is for government. Got to try and pull the levers you can reach.

18 minutes ago, phart said:

That's fair, it's also why the support part is so important to change behaviours. It's no surprise there is a correlation between countries that did well and the support they give people to make it much easier to follow the rules.

There's also no mechanism to police individuals but there is for government. Got to try and pull the levers you can reach.

People arent even hiding the fact they are going to other households anymore.

If there are still strict measures in place at christmas, i have no idea how these people will cope

Ek-XSqeg-Xc-AI10-YS-jpeg.jpg

Thought this was quite interesting - on the one hand only 15% of Covid patients were admitted with it whereas the other 85% must have either caught it there or, likely in the majority of cases, were tested for it and were asymptomatic.  

On the other hand 55 ICU beds being taken up must be eating into capacity.