Coronavirus - Page 201 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

10 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

New Zealand has a fraction of the cases..... therefore a fraction of the accommodation required...... you’re comparing pumpkins with peas man 😀

Do you not think that providing this accommodation might be part of the reason why they have a fraction of the cases?

The debate seems to be skipping across topics. From only authoritarian countries can do it (Iceland, Denmark, NZ, Australia, Norway and Finland,did well) to only countries with smaller case loads have the available accomadation.

From Hotel industry website http://www.hotel-industry.co.uk/data/hotel-data-industry-size/

According to an accommodation survey by the New Zealand government, there are 3,089 establishments in total

The estimated number of hotels in the UK is 45,000, comprising 730,258 rooms

I think paying for hotels for isolation/quarantine would kill two birds with 1 stone. Putting money into a beleagured industry and at the same time providing external locations to break up household transmission.

Obviously easier said than done, but i'm just going on what i read. None of this is my own policy just reading articles discussing what other countries have done correctly etc.

1 hour ago, phart said:

I think paying for hotels for isolation/quarantine would kill two birds with 1 stone. Putting money into a beleagured industry and at the same time providing external locations to break up household transmission.

It is a good shout. Still think to certain extent you risk driving a (maybe) significant proportion away from getting tested...... for me, I’ll do my time at turnberry if I test +ve!

12 hours ago, ger intae them said:

It is a good shout. Still think to certain extent you risk driving a (maybe) significant proportion away from getting tested...... for me, I’ll do my time at turnberry if I test +ve!

Well if it would drive folk away from getting tested then it is a bad idea. Thinking on it I don't know. Some folk it would help but could certainly have others avoiding testing. Maybe an option to isolate away from home would be the best compromise.

14 hours ago, ger intae them said:

In New Zealand hotels are being used to quarantine people arriving from abroad. Testing isn't optional for those people. They can't get into the country without being tested and quarantined.

They have much smaller numbers because they are severely restricting who, and how many, can enter the country. By comparison we are doing virtually nothing to prevent the virus coming in from abroad.

A quick peruse of Twitter after the announcements shows in that demograph , the greeting on social media demograph, not much appetite for restrictions. First thing cited is economy. However management of the virus is the number one key to sorting the economy according to all the experts and also accorind to known reality.

Dr Jane Eddleston ICU head of Manchester Hospital is saying already 30% of beds taken up by Covid patients. Which creates all sorts of infection control problems, people are rightly concerned about "cancer patients" a cancer ward in Edinburgh got infected by Covid though and 4 patients have died already, having cancer/undergoing cancer treatment and then contracting covid is a very high chance of fatality.

Folk in Manchester celebrating their pubs are still going to be open. Going to be an interesting October.

'Ministers told weeks ago to impose short lockdown or face 'large epidemic''

'Most Sage proposals not acted upon by government despite strong warnings over second wave'

'...the country faced a “very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences” unless they took immediate action by imposing a two-week “circuit breaker” lockdown to reduce the spread of coronavirus.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/12/ministers-rejected-four-out-five-proposals-from-sage-to-avert-covid-second-wave

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, phart said:

years of life lost... sounds a bit like sacrificing older people to me.  Like something out of Logan's run!  There's no way of telling how long someone will live, its very individual.  They going to give us averages?  That would be open to massive interpretation and skewing.  Every day, year is a valuable to someone - it doesn't matter if it's the 68th year or their 22nd.  What a nightmare this is becoming.  It's not so much the idea here but the thinking behind his use of the word "instead".  Creep.

Coronavirus: Czech schools and bars shut in new emergency

The Czech Republic is imposing a new three-week state of emergency from midnight (22:00 GMT) to combat coronavirus, shutting schools, bars and clubs and restricting restaurants to deliveries and takeaways.

Kindergartens will stay open and special provision will be made for the children of critical care workers.

University hostels are also being closed temporarily.

Just now, wheres the pies said:

143 deaths recorded and 17.234 new cases most daily deaths since early June 

wow 143 is a big increase. Will need to see what days they get allocated to. Always a clearer picture when you look back in a week, but still seems a large jump.

I try not go get too bogged down with all the numbers mainly because I never remember them, but this is not looking good. 527 in hospital and hospitals at 80% utilisation. I might be over reacting right enough.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-coronavirus-update-live-22835687.amp

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I try not go get too bogged down with all the numbers mainly because I never remember them, but this is not looking good. 527 in hospital and hospitals at 80% utilisation. I might be over reacting right enough.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-coronavirus-update-live-22835687.amp

You are not over-reacting. It's out of control again. Politicians, north and south, of the border are trying to pretend that it isn't, but it is.

They have done very little to try to stop it, just tinkering at the edges. I think Nicola would like to do more but she doesn't have the access to any money to do it with. She should be shouting about this very loudly.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You are not over-reacting. It's out of control again. Politicians, north and south, of the border are trying to pretend that it isn't, but it is.

They have done very little to try to stop it, just tinkering at the edges. I think Nicola would like to do more but she doesn't have the access to any money to do it with. She should be shouting about this very loudly.

I blame those darned christian quines huddled in their churches then out  spreading the word 🙂

Seriously though, it would seem the Louisa Jordan will be needed if things dont improve. I dont think some people appreciate how bad things may get. Loads of prison officers in isolation as well. 

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That Whitty guy yesterday, saying more or less that it ain't going to work they need to do more. And the revelation that SAGE had recommended doing more but they (UK Govt) didn't act on it. Now Starmer calling for more, like a 2-3 week 'circuit break' lockdown. I don't recall Labour in Scotland supporting the current restrictions or urging going further; at least, the opposition seemed to spend all last week gurning about the restrictions and their effect hospitality business.

I know this is/could/should above & beyond party politics but we can't ignore the political dimension either. Maybe they really should all get together if it meant that they'd cooperate, and stop opposing things for opposition's sake. But hard to see how that would work, if (say) Tories want to go at slower pace of Johnson and/or put business first, while Scots Govt wants to act faster; it could end up in stalemate.

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I blame those darned christian quines huddled in their churches then out  spreading the word 🙂

Seriously though, it would seem the Louisa Jordan will be needed if things dont improve. I dont think some people appreciate how bad things may get. Loads of prison officers in isolation as well. 

Most people,  and I mean 99% haven't a clue about numbers and have zero understanding of exponential growth. You'd need a hell of an  information message to get that across. 

And 99 % of those no longer give a toss.