Coronavirus - Page 198 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My social media feed is full of petitions for sturgeon to resign hana, i cant speak for other place but up here folk are raging

Yeah, thats what the country needs right now. 
NS could resign and it would change nothing whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Some of Hampden loon's pals might be able to go for a pint. Or, they might be able to blame somebody else if they still couldn't?

Just as well Scotland doesn't have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

The hospitality industry is like the 4th biggest employer in the UK. There should be some sort of economic package to sort them out. Renting hotels to use in quarantine and isolation cases , keeping it afloat till it can hopefully restart again after this resurgence of Covid goes away.

Incidentally the ONS has released the deaths by Flu, Pneumonia and Covid this year up to august.

Ejy6zEJXgAIEdTl?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by phart

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Some of Hampden loon's pals might be able to go for a pint. Or, they might be able to blame somebody else if they still couldn't?

😊 if I thought I could avoid eating my own food for the next 16 days  I would sign the bloody petition myself . 

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Just stating my observations, has no one else seen the same reaction? It will fade in the next few days however it is there just now. It reminds me of the time sturgeon came out after brexit and stood on a platform to call an indyref 2, My feed went mental with folk saying they would not be voting snp

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Just stating my observations, has no one else seen the same reaction? It will fade in the next few days however it is there just now. It reminds me of the time sturgeon came out after brexit and stood on a platform to call an indyref 2, My feed went mental with folk saying they would not be voting snp

Yeah,  i know you were Loon. I was referring to the people calling for her resignation. 

Truth be told if there was an election in a few weeks I think the SNP would take a battering. As you mentioned earlier though it will probably depend on the numbers , and really what situation we are in next year. 
I am not on social media do can only go by the reaction of people I know which has been mixed. Some pissed off , others nonplussed. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Truth be told if there was an election in a few weeks I think the SNP would take a battering. 

Who else would people vote for?

I could see some pissed off SNP voters abstaining, but switching to the Tories or Labour in huge numbers given the recent performance of those parties? I'd very much doubt it.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I really cannot believe people seriously think NS is risking her job, the SNP being in power, and scottish independence, just to politically point score against Johnson.
And its not just NS making these  decisions on her own. 
What is she supposed to do, keep waiting for Johnson to finish a game of eeny meeny miney mo before taking action ? 
I have no idea if these restrictions will work but with 7 months to the Scottish Elections they certainly aren’t safe,  vote winning decisions. 

It would be interesting to know how other countries are supporting their hospitality sectors for me.  The measures going in here are obviously to reduce footfall but the compensation isn't there to make up for it.  

The obvious response to that is the SG have the authority to act on health but haven't the financial levers available.  However, that then raises the question of if they can't pay for it should they be making the decision in the first place?  Being honest £40m is going to cover the square root of nothing.  It also leaves a massive open goal for WM who can either leave pubs/ restaurants open or shut them with a coherent plan for subsidising them - either way it'll make the SG look pretty bad.  Only positive is that I doubt WM can manage 'coherent' anyway.        

Health though should always trump costs but the plan also has to make sense and at the moment it doesn't.  Given that eating out is a relatively small contributor fannying about at the edges of it will potentially have negligible impact on the virus but greater impact on the industry itself.  Granted motor fatalities aren't contagious but are comparable in head count (Corona 1m vs 1.5m motor).  No government would decided the best way to reduce the number was to stop driving for a fortnight but instead introduce risk management measures that would help reduce fatalities - the current strategy of continuingly pushing the 'pause' button can't be sustainable.    

36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Who else would people vote for?

I could see some pissed off SNP voters abstaining, but switching to the Tories or Labour in huge numbers given the recent performance of those parties? I'd very much doubt it.

I dont think they would vote for anyone else, possibly a few would go to Labour as they are in a  no lose position at the moment regarding Covid.

I think a lot of  people would abstain and the  SNP would suffer from the drop in head count. 

I think it would be reactionary to these measures though and not necessarily a long term direction. I am just interpreting the general reaction from what I hear around me. 

35 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It would be interesting to know how other countries are supporting their hospitality sectors for me.  The measures going in here are obviously to reduce footfall but the compensation isn't there to make up for it.  

The obvious response to that is the SG have the authority to act on health but haven't the financial levers available.  However, that then raises the question of if they can't pay for it should they be making the decision in the first place?  Being honest £40m is going to cover the square root of nothing.  It also leaves a massive open goal for WM who can either leave pubs/ restaurants open or shut them with a coherent plan for subsidising them - either way it'll make the SG look pretty bad.  Only positive is that I doubt WM can manage 'coherent' anyway.        

Health though should always trump costs but the plan also has to make sense and at the moment it doesn't.  Given that eating out is a relatively small contributor fannying about at the edges of it will potentially have negligible impact on the virus but greater impact on the industry itself.  Granted motor fatalities aren't contagious but are comparable in head count (Corona 1m vs 1.5m motor).  No government would decided the best way to reduce the number was to stop driving for a fortnight but instead introduce risk management measures that would help reduce fatalities - the current strategy of continuingly pushing the 'pause' button can't be sustainable.    

I cant disagree with any of that. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

Just as well Scotland doesn't have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

The hospitality industry is like the 4th biggest employer in the UK. There should be some sort of economic package to sort them out. Renting hotels to use in quarantine and isolation cases , keeping it afloat till it can hopefully restart again after this resurgence of Covid goes away.

Incidentally the ONS has released the deaths by Flu, Pneumonia and Covid this year up to august.

Ejy6zEJXgAIEdTl?format=jpg&name=large

Would be interesting to know where/ why flu has gone!  Is it usually about 10k a year on average?

Mrs rang and said the hotel she works is getting bookings in as fast as they get cancellations.  Residents are allowed to eat until after 6pm and can order booze to the room.  How depressingly stark is 2020 that you'd book a hotel in Scotland in October so you can order bevvy to your room!

when it boils down to it, people don't see this virus as THAT bad.  Rightly or wrongly.

So they're finding it harder and harder to accept limitations on their life.

If they want public compliance to continue a sharp message on the number of potential deaths / ongoing health issues is needed. Now.

Simple messages on "saving lives" isn't cutting it like it did at the beginning because it didn't actually affect as many people as initially envisaged (with the obvious point that any death is a tragedy to those involved).  

40 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Would be interesting to know where/ why flu has gone!  Is it usually about 10k a year on average?

Mrs rang and said the hotel she works is getting bookings in as fast as they get cancellations.  Residents are allowed to eat until after 6pm and can order booze to the room.  How depressingly stark is 2020 that you'd book a hotel in Scotland in October so you can order bevvy to your room!

Flu spreads (roughly) like Coronavirus but isn't as deadly or as contagious so guess it makes sense that if you're mitigating spread of Coronavirus that affects flu even more.

Well that some good news if still able to trade!

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Flu spreads (roughly) like Coronavirus but isn't as deadly or as contagious so guess it makes sense that if you're mitigating spread of Coronavirus that affects flu even more.

Well that some good news if still able to trade!

Yeah potentially hotels could do ok out of it if folk book rooms relatively cheaply so they can get a meal out.  Would imagine restaurants and pubs will be hit harder.  

23 hours ago, phart said:

319 people in hospital today. so increase of 57. was 137 a week ago.

28 in ICU so that's +3

1054 new cases with 13% positive rate on new cases.

377 people in hospital now, increase of 58, was 154 a week ago.

31 in UCU +3 was 17 a week ago.

1027 new cases at 13.5%

55 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Couple of reasons on here. 
Not only that , STD’s are also possibly down 🙂

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01538-8

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just wait until they start testing them students that have been locked in their halls of residence for weeks. :lol:

Yeah they're not included in the figures from ONS so that's a statistical problem with those results from the REACT study.

Manchester students 'in intensive care' with coronavirus - this is one Manchester medic's warning to young people

'We are not blaming you but we want you to know you are not invincible'

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-students-in-intensive-care-19068537

29 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Licenced cafes now told they can stay open if they don't sell alcohol.

Lots of restaurants will be doing some short term rebranding!

Makes a lot of sense, if it wasn't for the fact that too many people and premises would abuse it, you could make a case for a limited license, which meant you could have *a* glass of wine or *a* beer with your meal.

12 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

17.540 new cases today according to Lewis Goodall 

Wow that's a rise of almost 3500. Although cases by specimen date rather than reporting date works better according to actuaries i'm following.

Wonder what the hospital admissions are like.

Been looking at the maps, some places hardly any cases other places it's rampant. I live in Linlithgow and it's split into 3 on the public health dashboard 2 parts are light blue (low level) and 1 part is dark red (really high level). West Lothian is a smogarsbord as well. Glasgow city is almost exclusively dark red bar two blue bits.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Makes a lot of sense, if it wasn't for the fact that too many people and premises would abuse it, you could make a case for a limited license, which meant you could have *a* glass of wine or *a* beer with your meal.

Agreed but could have been communicated much better.