Coronavirus - Page 193 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

It's a sunday but big drop in positives and 2% drop in positive rates too!

That's the hospital admissions starting to creep up as well.

Some papers out on "shielding" and the difficulty of just shielding and getting on with it.

The Tories are making an absolute cunt of this. Dithering half measures. The App is a shambles as well. Contracts "for the boys".

One of the guys from 5s has had a letter from his weans school saying they have been in close contact with someone and the whole family has to self isolate for 14 days. Has passed it on to us as he has played 5s with us since the contact as the letter took about 5 days to get to him from initial contact day. Glad to say the rest of us are still playing 5s this week.

Also the mrs sisters pal has been confirmed with it, she works at TGIs silverburn and called them to let them know so they could send other staff etc home which they refused to do. Probably dont go there for a bit!

On 9/21/2020 at 6:44 PM, Orraloon said:

It all very well imposing more restrictions, and I would support that, but the the folk ignoring the current restrictions aren't going to be any more likely to follow the new ones.

It might be time to start thinking about getting the squaddies out and about with big sticks?

It is certainlyĀ time toĀ stop being nice and pandering to ignorant opinion. Back to my litter rant - it seemsĀ obvious that this is even more unacceptable than ever. Saliva covered bottles will spread Covid - and if someone chucks one out of their car window they should get a right good hiding.Ā 

Edited by er yir macaroon

On 9/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, Orraloon said:

I suppose we could read that as positive news, in a way? If those numbers are correct, then maybe the virus isn't quite as infectious as I thought it was. I was thinking along the lines that we are taking all these precautions and have all these regulations in place and yet the virus is still spreading. It must be super infectious. But if the majority of folk are just ignoring the regulations then that is probably the main reason it's spreading. Which might mean that those of us who are following the guidance should feel a little bit safer?

I'm not sure I've explained that very well but I feel a wee bit better after reading that report.

Ā 

Ā 

It now seems pretty clear that like the other well studied coronaviruses, Covid 19 isĀ seasonal with a big drop off in summer. Iā€™m quite concerned about how this winter will pan out. My strongĀ advice is to take vitamin D supplements until next May. An admittedly limited study in Spain showed a strong protective effect with reduced morbidity in positive cases. Everyone in the northern hemisphere is vitamin D deficient without supplements in the winter monthsĀ (unless they eat oilyĀ fish and other dietary sources, every day), BAME particularly so.Ā 

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It now seems pretty clear that like the other well studied coronaviruses, Covid 19 isĀ seasonal with a big drop off in summer. Iā€™m quite concerned about how this winter will pan out. My strongĀ advice is to take vitamin D supplements until next May. An admittedly limited study in Spain showed a strong protective effect with reduced morbidity in positive cases. Everyone in the northern hemisphere is vitamin D deficient without supplements in the winter monthsĀ (unless they eat oilyĀ fish and other dietary sources, every day), BAME particularly so.Ā 

I take Vit D supplement anyway. Scandinavians I know take it as part of their culture "Trans" is what they call it.

My gran can't take it though as it has possibilities of reacting with one of her heart medications.

I think it's important everyone uses all the mitigation tactics they can atm.

Ā 

Ā 

Long Covid: Long-term effects of coronavirus include damage to heart, liver, kidneys - Oxford study reveals

The study began in April and it has now detailed the first conclusions made from the data so far - the preliminary results confirm that Covid-19 can cause significant organ damage.

The exact extent, and expected long-term impact, of this organ damage has not been fully characterised and that's what the study is aiming to find out.Ā 

Sufferers are reporting a huge spectrum of problems, including severe fatigue, breathlessness, muscle aches, joint pain, 'brain fog,' memory loss, a lack of concentration, as well as depression and mental health problems.

Hair loss has even been reported among some 'long haulers'.Ā 

The first data from patients recovering from Covid-19 (160 patients, three months post diagnosis, 79% non-hospitalised) reveals many patients had measurable organ damage - even amongst those not hospitalised.

The study also foundĀ many patients who have had Covid-19, especially men, have subnormal heart pumping function. Ā 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-29/long-covid-long-term-effects-of-coronavirus-include-damage-to-heart-liver-kidneys-oxford-study-reveals

Ā 

Early days yet with regards to this, other studies in other countries have preliminary reports of up to 90% of sufferers having some problems as well. Neurological problems as well as organ problems.

It's probably just general frustration but I'm getting sick of blanket approaches to this. When you look at where all the new cases are, 3/4s of them are in the central belt yet we're all subject to the same restrictions. Would imposing travel bans with differing restrictions per area be so bad?

This rumoured fire break is nonsense and is a sign that neither Sturgeon or Johnson have any control of the situation whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

It's probably just general frustration but I'm getting sick of blanket approaches to this. When you look at where all the new cases are, 3/4s of them are in the central belt yet we're all subject to the same restrictions. Would imposing travel bans with differing restrictions per area be so bad?

This rumoured fire break is nonsense and is a sign that neither Sturgeon or Johnson have any control of the situation whatsoever.

The blanketing doesn't even seem best practice from what i've read at all.

Seems that you should localise as much as possible and try and let everyone else get on with it, with some restrictions on the high risk activities (like everyone packing into a pub with no ventilation for a 3 hour sing song etc).

As they study it more and more it seems most folk don't infect anyone but it bursts out from superspreading events which are obviously highly localised.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

The zeal that the BBC reported a million deaths had been reached from the pandemic was uncomfortable yesterday as it was quite obvious it was an attempt to scare folk.Ā  After the initial shock at the number my next response, admittedly crass, was it isn't actually that many considering we're 7.5 billion folk all in.Ā 

The other thing it mentioned was that half of the deaths came from US, Brazil, India and UK but they only account for 20% of the population.Ā  I thought it was particularly dangerous for BAME communities so suspected it must be down to lack of testing particularly in Africa but they seem to be riding it without much impact:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/pandemic-appears-have-spared-africa-so-far-scientists-are-struggling-explain-why

Spanish flu killed 50,000,000 against a global population of 1.5 billion so Covid-19 would need to kill 250,000,000 to be the same % and thankfully it looks like it isn't going to get near that. Ā 

Can't help but become cynical as hunger has killed 10 times more people in the last year, over half of them kids, than Covid-19 but pharmaceuticals can't flog tests or vaccines for that so nobody is interested. Ā 

However, that doesn't negate that it is still a disease that is obviously a massive danger to older and more susceptible demographics of the population so there should be control measures in place.Ā  It would be good if they made some form of sense though as at the minute it just seems a random approach to give the impression they're doing something rather than a coherent plan.Ā  I think this is what is pissing folk off because 1st wave could cut some slack but 2nd wave seems even more shambolic despite everyone knowing it would come. Ā  Ā