Coronavirus - Page 192 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

8 hours ago, phart said:

Im not surprised by this.

I dont venture into out town centre much but i did yesterday, barely a fuck given by people. Social distancing not happening, no masks etc. 

I also went to a local hospital and couldnt believe the amount of people who did not follow the clear guidelines in the coffee shop.

The university situation seems troubling, all those students (however 'well behaved') coming from all parts of the country and mingling, cooped up in potentially cramped accommodation, not able to get away from each other, not able to go home or afford to go anywhere else. I can imagine some parents must be worried, wondering whether to 'let' them go, or let them back. But the students are adults of course...

I mean it's one thing to be in lockdown if you have a house and a garden or even a flat to yourself. But the idea of being cooped into a residence with strangers whose behaviour could be unpredictable... and being at the mercy of, or being told what to do by, your university landlord, could be claustrophbic... Then again as a student said on the radio, they want to get out and go to university, it's all part of life...

1 hour ago, exile said:

I mean it's one thing to be in lockdown if you have a house and a garden or even a flat to yourself. But the idea of being cooped into a residence with strangers whose behaviour could be unpredictable... and being at the mercy of, or being told what to do by, your university landlord, could be claustrophbic... Then again as a student said on the radio, they want to get out and go to university, it's all part of life...

The whole thing is a shambles. We're not doing what seems to be shown to be best practices for containing the virus. Other countries have shown the way and yet we're still fumbling like fuck.

Now it's rearing it's head again nothing is going to work bar a shutdown to reduce numbers and the longer we wait the more time we have to remain in shutdown, but if we don't spend that time getting the infrastructure in place to contain and hunt down infections it's pointless, which is what we did the first time around.

For the first time in a long time i'm seriously lamenting the fact we never got independence. Tory cronyism on testing and the influence that certain businesses have has really fucked us up big time.

https://www.independentsage.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/SR-emergency-plan-integrated-170920-amended-ES.pdf

IMMEDIATE MEASURES(to be reviewed, as appropriate, when testing is functional and infections are back under control)

1.Close indoor service in pubs and restaurants

2.Work or study at home if possible. If impossible;don’t return to the workplace/University/College until certified COVID safe and provide financial support to employees in the interim

3.Limit indoor social interaction to a bubble of three households

4.Fund schools to allow smaller socially distanced classes and provide digital resources for all students and teachers, should they have to study and work at home

5.Create an emergency fund to support all those needing to shield or self-isolate (including those unable to get tested and their contacts)

6.Re-establish the 2 metre distance rule

A STRATEGY FOR BUILDING A FUNCTIONAL TESTING SYSTEM

7.Rebuild the testing system based on tried and trusted local NHS, primary care and public health structures

8.Recruit local contact tracers who know their patchand therefore better able both to trace individual contacts and investigate clusters

9.Provide clear consistent messaging about testing and other protective measures that is culturally competent and accessible to all sections of the community

10.Establish a clear strategy and set for priorities for symptomatic and asymptomatic testing

Edited by phart

3 hours ago, exile said:

5 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Hell, its the chance of non stop rogering for 2 weeks, ? WTF are they moaning about.

Yeah, that crossed my mind as I typed it. But on the other hand, stuck in a flat with uncertain food supply, no washing machine, ...

7 hours ago, phart said:

The whole thing is a shambles. We're not doing what seems to be shown to be best practices for containing the virus. Other countries have shown the way and yet we're still fumbling like fuck.

Now it's rearing it's head again nothing is going to work bar a shutdown to reduce numbers and the longer we wait the more time we have to remain in shutdown, but if we don't spend that time getting the infrastructure in place to contain and hunt down infections it's pointless, which is what we did the first time around.

For the first time in a long time i'm seriously lamenting the fact we never got independence. Tory cronyism on testing and the influence that certain businesses have has really fucked us up big time.

The problem of 'something' happening with the universities was foreseeable (as some critics have said) - in the sense of 'something' happening when you put together people from round the country into a dense space - but I suppose the exact effects of combination of multiple actions and consequences not knowable in detail. I suppose the hope is that this time there will be better track and trace, and that the students will not be as susceptible as people in care homes, so the conversion rate from cases to hospitals admissions to deaths will be less.

8 minutes ago, exile said:

The problem of 'something' happening with the universities was foreseeable (as some critics have said) - in the sense of 'something' happening when you put together people from round the country into a dense space - but I suppose the exact effects of combination of multiple actions and consequences not knowable in detail. I suppose the hope is that this time there will be better track and trace, and that the students will not be as susceptible as people in care homes, so the conversion rate from cases to hospitals admissions to deaths will be less.

Yeah the available information had shared living as the third largest contributor to superspreading incidents. Or so i read on some epidemeolgists twitter thread.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/25/mainstreaming-fringe-science-on-covid-19-puts-lives-at-risk/

Epidemiologist Deepti Gurdasani and neuroscientist Hisham Ziauddeen warn against the false narrative of the ‘two views’ on how to tackle a second Coronavirus wave, which undermines the almost unanimous consensus that does exist on the most serious pandemic in living memory

On 9/25/2020 at 7:25 AM, vanderark14 said:

Im not surprised by this.

I dont venture into out town centre much but i did yesterday, barely a fuck given by people. Social distancing not happening, no masks etc. 

I also went to a local hospital and couldnt believe the amount of people who did not follow the clear guidelines in the coffee shop.

I started back working in the office this week in Glasgow city centre. I was actually very impressed with how people were responding. Loads of people wearing masks outside, I am talking at least 50% of people ( I wasnt ) and 100% in shops, train station etc. Even on the escalator people were reasonably spread out , I was expecting to see some fanny barge down the side in a rush but so far its been fine. 
Admittedly it is much quieter in town though so probably not too difficult to spread out. There has only been about 10 people on a train carriage each day I have travelled.

Good to see the trains havent been affected by the virus and things operating as they always have been. Out of the 4 days I worked we were all punted off the train at Paisley one night with no alternative transport whatsoever.  Then the next morning every train from Johnstone was cancelled. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, phart said:

I suppose we could read that as positive news, in a way? If those numbers are correct, then maybe the virus isn't quite as infectious as I thought it was. I was thinking along the lines that we are taking all these precautions and have all these regulations in place and yet the virus is still spreading. It must be super infectious. But if the majority of folk are just ignoring the regulations then that is probably the main reason it's spreading. Which might mean that those of us who are following the guidance should feel a little bit safer?

I'm not sure I've explained that very well but I feel a wee bit better after reading that report.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I suppose we could read that as positive news, in a way? If those numbers are correct, then maybe the virus isn't quite as infectious as I thought it was. I was thinking along the lines that we are taking all these precautions and have all these regulations in place and yet the virus is still spreading. It must be super infectious. But if the majority of folk are just ignoring the regulations then that is probably the main reason it's spreading. Which might mean that those of us who are following the guidance should feel a little bit safer?

I'm not sure I've explained that very well but I feel a wee bit better after reading that report.

As long as the hospitalisarions stay down as well we're maybe over the worst of it, and maybe have been for a while. Although they seem to be increasing atm.

Depending on what weight one puts on what measurement we use the prognosis is different.

Positives are higher than March, but we weren't even testing the same so in reality the positives are much much lower than they were in March. How quickly it can get out of hand or get into a care home again is the unknown.

As i've said i'm lucky as i can just lock myself my down and not have any real issue with it. Others are suffering cause of restrictions etc so got to start trying to balance that.

The Asian countries and Scandanavian (plus NZ) (bar Sweden) have totally shown up "the West" in how to mitigate the pandemic imo.

18 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Tuesday, Wednesday we could be over 1000 cases a day. 

828c87bb-d911-40e3-957f-1f77e8752328.png

The graph is slightly misleadeing though cause testing capacity was way down back then, we probably had thousands of new positives a day back in March/April. Just couldn't record them.

It could still rocket out of control again though.