Coronavirus - Page 181 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

15 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

One of the parents on our street works in the local care home and around that time they were clearing folk out of his to other homes so theirs was specifically a Covid home.  Not sure if that was a national strategy and just implementation went mammary glands skyward in real time.  

😂

Two European patients are confirmed to have been re-infected with COVID-19, raising concerns about people’s immunity to the coronavirus as the world struggles to tame the pandemic.

The cases, in Belgium and the Netherlands, follow a report this week by researchers in Hong Kong about a man there who had contracted a different strain of the virus four and a half months after being declared recovered - the first such second infection to be documented.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands-reinfe-idUSKBN25L0LF

Saw this prediction as well.

"I really wish people would start to pick up on what the game is going to be. Trump is going to announce a 'breakthrough vaccine' in October, and get the FDA to sound off on it (by bending and breaking whatever arms he has to. He's basically purged everyone in every department whose been a problem and no one's stopped him, so why not).

The media will salivate because they always do whenever Trump promises to do something important or behave like an adult for more than two minutes.

Within a few weeks, we'll start finding out about side effects or how ineffective the dosages are, but it won't matter because he'll have already squeaked out an electoral win (most likely stolen, but he already did that once and no one wants to admit it, so whatever).

We've already seen this! People were declaring him a peacemaker and a victor with his 'groundbreaking' Middle East Deal. Only for it to come out almost immediately that there was almost nothing legally enforceable in it, and that both sides recanted within the month."

FDA had to admit they lied about plasma treatment earlier as well.

Care homes in England had greatest increase in excess deaths at height of the COVID-19 pandemic

A lot of caveats and qualifications in there. N Ireland had least worst figures, followed by Scotland and Wales. Scotland had highest proportion on another proportion measure (see small print). as ever depends what you measure. Not all data comparable etc.

9 hours ago, exile said:

Care homes in England had greatest increase in excess deaths at height of the COVID-19 pandemic

A lot of caveats and qualifications in there. N Ireland had least worst figures, followed by Scotland and Wales. Scotland had highest proportion on another proportion measure (see small print). as ever depends what you measure. Not all data comparable etc.

When this was a big story at the height of the pandemic, at the point when - in Scotland - the total number of people who died in care homes went over 50% of the total number of COVID deaths in all locations, the corresponding situation in England which had a much lower percentage was being used as a stick to beat the FM with.  

She said at that time that - although very bad - the numbers in Scotland were comparable with those in other European countries and she suspected that the numbers ominous England were being understated.  

Looks like she was right. 

12 hours ago, phart said:

over 100 today and all spread out again. Pessimist in me not liking it.

The virus hasn’t disappeared so some level of new cases shouldn’t be that unusual.  What’s important is the positivity rate, ie, the number of positive tests as a percentage of the number of tests carried out.  As long as that stays around 1% or so it suggests that it’s being adequately managed. If the number of cases increases but the positivity rate remains constant then it’s likely that cases aren’t increasing in the community rather that increased testing is uncovering more cases.  WHO measure is - I think - that a country can be deemed to have the virus under control if its had a positivity rate of under 5% for two weeks   Scotland has been around 1% for some time now.

Probably a lot of asymptomatic people with the virus unwittingly spreading it, if Test, Track and Isolate is working then those chains of transmission should be being broken as contacts are traced. 

Edited by aaid

On 8/30/2020 at 9:47 AM, exile said:

Also seemed to be spun very differently. In Scotland seemed all the blame was on the Scottish Government but in England the  Government blamed the Care Home providers.

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Edited by Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I'm the same. Another 160 today. I'm concerned it's about to take off again. Folk are becoming more complacent.

The amount of tests have tripled in last couple of weeks as Aid said it's still below 1% but you sort of dread it starting to take off again like it has elsewhere.

I look after a very high risk person so it has been really restrictive for my movement. Basically 6 months now. Will have to wait and see if it;s just a function of more tests or it's something more sinister.

Looking at age group positives

EgwQ6gfXYAEnTs4?format=png&name=large

Edited by phart

More folk back at work, more public places open, more folk traveling.

It was always going to go up.

Really just need to live with it, zero chance of another blanket lockdown IMO, especially with furlough about to end in the not too distant future.

Going by the age groups, I'm not buying into the idea that pubs etc are the issue. Kids at house parties maybe but any pub or restaurant I've been in has been pretty strict, almost OTT strict.

Could close all the pubs down and these kids would still be in house parties.

Death rate is still really low, which again is probably due to the fact large % of those catching it are youths.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree Squirrelhumper.

Even if there is another big spike the UK government will not activate another lockdown. Economy first lives second.

If truth be told, I think they'd be right.

We're currently looking at a backlog of 6 months of cancer treatments (and counting) for example and at the same time going weeks without a single COVID death in Scotland.

I'm all for precautions etc but there has to be a balance.

When it hit in March we weren't in the same place as we are now in terms of face coverings, social distancing, living with the disease and (whilst I could be wrong) I don't think the 2nd wave would be anything like the first wave.

Come October, every sniffle or cough will have folk isolating until they are tested and the economy and folks jobs in their millions could be fucked unless there is a middle ground taken.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If truth be told, I think they'd be right.

We're currently looking at a backlog of 6 months of cancer treatments (and counting) for example and at the same time going weeks without a single COVID death in Scotland.

I'm all for precautions etc but there has to be a balance.

When it hit in March we weren't in the same place as we are now in terms of face coverings, social distancing, living with the disease and (whilst I could be wrong) I don't think the 2nd wave would be anything like the first wave.

Come October, every sniffle or cough will have folk isolating until they are tested and the economy and folks jobs in their millions could be fucked unless there is a middle ground taken.

I do agree and for me the worrying thing is where/when/how does it all end?

There will be another spike this winter and perhaps again next year if reports are to be believed. Mistakes have been learnt the hard way and it cost more lives than it needed to by not locking down sooner in my opinion. But that is just one of those fatal mistakes. I would say (death-wise) there has been an over-reaction in the media that has escalated things too.

The lockdown won't happen again anyway, now that track and trace is ostensibly functioning.

Even some of the scientific advisors are saying a full lockdown might not have been the best move now we have a lot more information on how the virus transmits etc, obviously didn't know that at the time but we do now. In fact i think i posted that a few pages back.

Best practices have now been established in treatment etc so less folk dying even with more infections.

A full lockdown probably isn't even on the cards unless it suddenly goes catastrophic.

Hopefully it will calm down again soon but if it heads towards 300 tomorrow it could be a sign that we are heading for another exponential take off. I think a lot of folk are starting to think that if they do catch it, it probably won't be too bad - "It probably won't kill me."

We might not be too far from a situation where older folk start avoiding youngsters like the plague. To be fair, I think the younger generation have been much more restrained than I thought they would be. Certainly a lot more restrained than my generation would have been at that age. 

45 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

More folk back at work, more public places open, more folk traveling.

It was always going to go up.

Really just need to live with it, zero chance of another blanket lockdown IMO, especially with furlough about to end in the not too distant future.

Going by the age groups, I'm not buying into the idea that pubs etc are the issue. Kids at house parties maybe but any pub or restaurant I've been in has been pretty strict, almost OTT strict.

Could close all the pubs down and these kids would still be in house parties.

Death rate is still really low, which again is probably due to the fact large % of those catching it are youths.

I'm just looking at the numbers and trying to discern a pattern, a futile exercise by a non-expert I know.

Not advocating a lockdown or anything.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Those that organised it would be a start

What is it? You seem to want folk to catch it but can't actually say who it is. There's been protests everywhere atm. Statue guarding protests, BLM protests, protests about BBC etc.

Do you mean anyone who has organised a protest anywhere in the last 6 months?

29 minutes ago, phart said:

What is it? You seem to want folk to catch it but can't actually say who it is. There's been protests everywhere atm. Statue guarding protests, BLM protests, protests about BBC etc.

Do you mean anyone who has organised a protest anywhere in the last 6 months?

I believe this is the Coronavirus thread and not the one about statue guarding, BLM or the BBC

The protests with Piers Corbyn, David Icke and some right wing goons at the weekend was about anti masks/lockdowns etc was it not ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-texas-man-dies-covid-party-hoax-a9614231.html

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/14/healthy-man-who-blasted-coronavirus-hype-refused-wear-mask-killed-12987711/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/02/landon-spradlin-coronavirus-pandemic-death-punchline/

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/11/young-man-died-coronavirus-trying-catch-covid-party-prove-was-hoax-12976195/