Coronavirus - Page 176 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, phart said:

It's really affecting folk differently a tiny study showing thromboprophylaxis protocol (thinning the blood) having a huge effect in that blood group.

https://www.thrombosisresearch.com/article/S0049-3848(20)30329-7/pdf

Seems to be thickening the blood badly which is causing the lung problems, heart problems etc in survivors.

So much more study needed.

I was already on blood thinners before Covid arrived.  Ended up in hospital in ICU due to internal bleeding caused by the virus, and apparently it was one of the side effects that they were only just discovering. I had three blood transfusions to replace the lost blood. Clearly the requirement for blood thinners to prevent clotting, strokes etc. is a bit of a double edged sword.  I had a fairly mild covid infection, no ventilator or full face oxygen mask, but the damage the virus does to your body can be severe - my lungs were damaged although now more or less recovered, and my heart has suffered damage too, likely to be permanent. You'll appreciate that I am fairly intolerant of these folk who fail to keep their distance or wear a mask.  So many people haven't really encountered covid close up, and they're the ones who are a bit blase about it.  They are finding new side effects every day.  It really is the Swiss Army knife of viruses. Avoid it like the plague.

Edited by Alibi

39 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I was already on blood thinners before Covid arrived.  Ended up in hospital in ICU due to internal bleeding caused by the virus, and apparently it was one of the side effects that they were only just discovering. I had three blood transfusions to replace the lost blood. Clearly the requirement for blood thinners to prevent clotting, strokes etc. is a bit of a double edged sword.  I had a fairly mild covid infection, no ventilator or full face oxygen mask, but the damage the virus does to your body can be severe - my lungs were damaged although now more or less recovered, and my heart has suffered damage too, likely to be permanent. You'll appreciate that I am fairly intolerant of these folk who fail to keep their distance or wear a mask.  So many people haven't really encountered covid close up, and they're the ones who are a bit blase about it.  They are finding new side effects every day.  It really is the Swiss Army knife of viruses. Avoid it like the plague.

Fucking hell mate, been in the wars! Back in Feb i was a flu bro but quickly changed my mind at start of March as new data came in. Since i look after my Gran i've been self isolating and wearing masks for months now. I sometimes think i might be over compensating for being wrong about it to start but i'm being really cautious.

It's a human failing not to take anything seriously till it directly affects you. We're seeing that in America and the Virus seems to find those that mock it. Unfortunately the Darwin awards will be full of Covid related people.

Hope you mend fully. The swiss army knife is a really good analogy. I keep reading complication after complication. Has a neurological effect on some people as wlel as hearts and lungs.

1 hour ago, phart said:

30 new infections today largest increase since June 14th

Sense of perspective. When we had that meany infections, 5000 were tested. Last week, it was 15000. So the ratio still well below 1%. Think we have got to a point where we have suppressed this to such a level that we can control these outbreaks to prevent wider transmission. 

Still a shot across the bows that this hasn't gone away though

3 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Sense of perspective. When we had that meany infections, 5000 were tested. Last week, it was 15000. So the ratio still well below 1%. Think we have got to a point where we have suppressed this to such a level that we can control these outbreaks to prevent wider transmission. 

Hopefully that's the correct interpetation.

Devi Sridhar suggests need for a coordinated approach within UK, including to some restriction in travel to/from less infected areas. So, a mix of "4 nations" + "close the border"

Seen this way, it seems odd that the UK Govt wouldn't want to help protect Scotland from the virus, by making it easier to introduce border control (if needed) rather than more difficult

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/jul/31/the-northern-lockdown-represents-government-failure-on-a-massive-scale-covid-19

On 7/31/2020 at 7:40 PM, King Of Paisley said:

Hospital numbers decline is starting to slow as well, obviously huge speculation and i'm uninformed about how they should behave in best practice but if they start to increase again obviously a bad sign.

Its' mad reading the purported testimony of some in the American health system

"...I am a critical care physician. I am working more hours than I’ve ever worked with reduced pay. Every day, I walk into the ICU unsure of what crazy shit I’m going to see and whether it’s the day I might be directly exposed to COVID. My own administration could not care less for our well being and are constantly floating the possibility of lay offs.

Then I call family members to update them on their loved ones only to be berated over how I’m making it all up. Then I open social media only to see people accusing physicians of inflating numbers and making up false death certificates..."

'I'm fighting a war against COVID-19 and a war against stupidity,' says CMO of Houston hospital : After two hours of sleep a night for four months and seeing a member of his team contract the virus, Joseph Varon, MD, is growing exasperated

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-physician-relationships/i-m-fighting-a-war-against-covid-19-and-a-war-against-stupidity-says-cmo-of-houston-hospital.html

The true cost of politicising the Virus.

Edited by phart

Should be a good book

Carl Bergstrom is a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of Washington in Seattle. More than a decade ago he conducted research on the role of government in pandemic planning, and has been a trenchant critic of the current response. He is the co-author with his colleague Jevin D West of a new book, Calling Bullshit: The Art of Scepticism in a Data-Driven World.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/01/carl-bergstrom-people-are-using-data-to-bullshit

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A shitstorm coming to Aberdeen, it seems. PB Devco (owner of every wankers favourite spot Soul) to shut its venues. 

Aye. They’ve shut down about 7 bars now. Apparently the guy that caused the initial spike was traced and found to have visited Soul and a Sainsbury’s too. 

Folk apparently now reported from Dutch Mill, Ferryhill hotel amongst others. 

Hearing stories from everywhere now of some offices being closed down as people all over the city are testing positive. 

My 2 daughters are away to get tested today, one has returned from holiday last week and got a mild cough last night (she’s not staying with us) but better to be safe and the other has been told from her work she has to get tested once a week or she can’t come in. 

Igs in a beer quick downward spiral just now and could be out of control very soon. 

Wife and I were discussing over the weekend about heading out for food & drinks this Saturday as we’ll be child free, but not gonna bother now, even if the pubs are still open. 

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Wise move, I think.

Aberdeen could be locked down soon if the numbers keep rising.

Few other bars have since followed suit with closing or having deep cleans with more of them conforming there’s been cases in their premises. 

We’ll be in local lockdown by the weekend. 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Few other bars have since followed suit with closing or having deep cleans with more of them conforming there’s been cases in their premises. 

We’ll be in local lockdown by the weekend. 

I would have thought most pubs would have CCTV these days. Hopefully the Hawthorn does. Somebody will be trawling through it to see how well the guidelines were being followed. In a way it would be better if it turns out they weren't following the guidelines. It would help to make the rest of us, who are following the guidelines, feel a wee bit safer.

If it seems folk were following the guidelines, and the virus still spread this quickly, then it would indicate that the guidelines aren't tight enough. Maybe the only answer is to close down pubs again?

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I would have thought most pubs would have CCTV these days. Hopefully the Hawthorn does. Somebody will be trawling through it to see how well the guidelines were being followed. In a way it would be better if it turns out they weren't following the guidelines. It would help to make the rest of us, who are following the guidelines, feel a wee bit safer.

If it seems folk were following the guidelines, and the virus still spread this quickly, then it would indicate that the guidelines aren't tight enough. Maybe the only answer is to close down pubs again?

Having been in pubs over the last few weeks, as the drink takes effect, social distancing begins to go out the window, especially with younger drinkers. I suspect there will be more lockdown of bars coming soon

4 minutes ago, jailender said:

Having been in pubs over the last few weeks, as the drink takes effect, social distancing begins to go out the window, especially with younger drinkers. I suspect there will be more lockdown of bars coming soon

Well, it's aboot time you started behaving yourself and do what Nicola tells you. :lol:

I've only been in during the day when it's been quiet. Haven't even considered going to the pub at night. Two pubs I've been to aren't even taking contact details. Apparently it's not mandatory. I think that will change soon.

I look after a 92 year old, never even occurred to me to go into a pub, i go shopping once a week when it's dead. Been to my mates house 10 days ago and stayed in their back garden. They have loads of lower respiratory issues though so had been inside house since start of March.

That's hospital admissions up from last week now as well. ICU up and normal admissions, also infections up as well even when normalised against tests. That's with roughly a 14 day lag.