Coronavirus - Page 175 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

And it will again. Medicine in a hundred years time will look back on medicine today as it views itself a hundred years ago.

How many vaccines were there 50-60 years ago compared to today is another factor.

Anyway I certainly am not attempting to convince you or anyone. I would not want that responsibility. Do what you think is best for you. I can however understand why some people might prefer not to have it. I would be very against it being mandatory for that reason.

It's all about weighing up different levels of risk. Penicillin has saved the lives of countless millions of people and has been the biggest factor in getting TB under control. Yet 100s of people have died because of being allergic to penicillin. There is a risk to most things we do in trying to tackle disease. But there is also a  risk in doing nothing. We need to weigh up those risks and take a calculated gamble sometimes.

But so far there is no viable vaccine so there is no decision to be made. Just try not to catch the virus.

A couple of days of low infection rates. Seems like that cluster got contained pretty well and never blew out of control., although the delay on infection event and positives make it hard to extrapolate anything.

Cardiac involvement and myocardial inflammation are common in recovered COVID-19 patients, according to a new study published in JAMA Cardiology.

The authors studied cardiac imaging results of 100 adult patients included in the University Hospital Frankfurt COVID-19 Registry. All patients had confirmed cases of COVID-19 but passed a swab test after at least two weeks in isolation. They were recruited for this analysis between April to June 2020.

The team tracked patients who had experienced a wide variety of outcomes after their diagnosis. Just two of the 100 patients had to undergo mechanical ventilation, for example, and oxygen supplementation was required in 28 patients.

https://www.cardiovascularbusiness.com/topics/cardiovascular-imaging/78-covid-19-patients-heart-damage-recovery

Small number but was matched by a control group and risk factor matched group.

Edited by phart

56 minutes ago, phart said:

A couple of days of low infection rates. Seems like that cluster got contained pretty well and never blew out of control., although the delay on infection event and positives make it hard to extrapolate anything.

I would imagine they will be doing genome mapping of the folk involved in the Sitel cluster to try to find out where it came from and who spread it to who. Hopefully the investigation will highlight any breaches in the social distancing guidelines so that others can learn from what happened. It's a good reminder to all of us about how easy this virus is spread. 24 folk infected within a few days in one outbreak. It just shows how quickly it could get out of control again.

Here's a map in Guardian today, first one I've seen showing regions compared.

Flanders, Catalonia and North of England & Wales stand out as well as most of Sweden, and Romania and Bulgaria.

1762.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

I see the Guardian editorial also recommending England & Wales follow Scotland & N Ireland in following the independent Sage group's Zero Covid approach

Edited by exile

So, whos on the shit list of countries to visit? Spain bad? America good?

Ive lost track.

Not that i will be travelling overseas for at least a year and thats in the hope this whole shit show is over. Ive no idea why people thought it was a good idea to head to a beach in spain straight after a lockdwon and pandemic.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

So, whos on the shit list of countries to visit? Spain bad? America good?

Ive lost track.

Not that i will be travelling overseas for at least a year and thats in the hope this whole shit show is over. Ive no idea why people thought it was a good idea to head to a beach in spain straight after a lockdwon and pandemic.

England bad?

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m away to hide in far North Queensland for a year and hope it doesn’t spread.

Fuck that, Id rather face the virus than crocodiles, sharks, snakes, spiders and the locals.

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It is fucking scandalous. Twitter suspended Donald Trump Jnr for retweeting that video. Now their host has taken down their websites. What gives these folk hosting websites the right to censor Doctors from voicing their views. Sick to death of these woke tech pricks censoring people.

Breitbart have the whole video.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/07/27/facebook-censors-viral-video-of-doctors-capitol-hill-coronavirus-press-conference/

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

This really boils my pish. When you think about the number of folk who have died in the UK and US alone for no reason other than Orange Man Bad.

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

I'm not sure what to believe but there has been consistent scientific pushback to this guys claims even from this article as well.

Yale epidemiologist Harvey Risch defends hydroxychloroquine in Newsweek—badly  Yale epidemiology professor Harvey Risch published an embarrassingly bad op-ed in Newsweek defending hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. It reminded me how much acupuncture and hydroxychloroquine have in common.

This far into the pandemic, with double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trials starting to be published and showing, each and every one of them so far, that hydroxychloroquine shows no benefit versus COVID-19 (I’ll discuss them shortly), let’s just say that I am flummoxed to find, in the midst of a crisis, that a seemingly respected epidemiologist is fighting for a drug that almost certainly doesn’t work based on low quality and anecdotal evidence when far higher quality evidence is becoming available and even the bulk of the observational evidence has been negative, with one notable outlier. I am even more flummoxed to find that Newsweek provided this epidemiologist a platform to promote this argument, particularly given how he based it primarily on a commentary and review that he wrote in May, which is basically ancient history as far as the evidence base for hydroxychloroquine goes.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/07/24/harvey-risch-defends-hydroxychloroquine/

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

Mad times indeed...

edit: genuinely not sure whether to post this here on the BLM thread. WTF just happened? :lol:

Stella found someone crazier than her

65eyd21ldnd51.jpg

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches. 

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

Edited by phart

"Many women suffer from astral sex regularly," Immanuel's website, firepowerministry.org, reads. "Astral sex is the ability to project one’s spirit man into the victim’s body and have intercourse with it. This practice is very common amongst Satanists. They leave their physical bodies in a dormant state while they project their spirits into the body of whoever they want to have sex with."

She also offers up this prayer for anyone suffering from issues ranging from "marital distress" to "serious gynecological problems": "I destroy the power of any demonic seed in my life from the womb, in the name of Jesus."

On 7/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, phart said:
"Many women suffer from astral sex regularly," Immanuel's website, firepowerministry.org, reads. "Astral sex is the ability to project one’s spirit man into the victim’s body and have intercourse with it. This practice is very common amongst Satanists. They leave their physical bodies in a dormant state while they project their spirits into the body of whoever they want to have sex with."

She also offers up this prayer for anyone suffering from issues ranging from "marital distress" to "serious gynecological problems": "I destroy the power of any demonic seed in my life from the womb, in the name of Jesus."

Is there no, like, mirror of this...you know, young stunners astrally projecting into blokes' beds at night. We could sort of offer a prayer along the lines of "In the name of Jesus, as long as you don't wake up the wife, are you free on Tuesday?"

Edited by Huddersfield

On 7/29/2020 at 7:59 AM, vanderark14 said:

Never, boris and his crew have done a champion job. Good ol blightly, blitz spirit, dunkirk spirit, 

On the radio, I've just heard Boris state "Hands!!! Face!!! Space!!!" numerous times. Is this their new slogan?

... and the microphone is picking up some other patting/scuffing noises each and every time he says it.

It sounds as if he is doing some actions? Like "Hands! Shoulders! Knees and toes!"     ???

13 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I've just returned home after 3 day's in Stratford Upon Avon visiting my new born grandson. What an absolute shit show it is down there. Virus what fuckin virus? Couldn't get home quick enough. 

🤣🤣🤣

Hard to argue with that although our local area has been reasonably well behaved with the exception of one pub.

Venturing further out it seems to get worse

On 7/27/2020 at 1:39 PM, Orraloon said:

I do think the SG has fuked up here. They let themselves be pressurized into easing the restrictions for Spain, then a few days later they had to reimpose them again. If they hadn't let themselves be bullied into lifting the quarantine in the first place, they could have just sat back and been all smug about it.

Agreed.  Weak by the FM.  She is too prone to yielding to what WM & the media want. We need someone who will stand up to them and hold the line - can you see her ever defying them to get indyref2?  No.  Was clear to most folk the way things were going and that she shouldn't have lifted quarantine when she did.

It's really affecting folk differently a tiny study showing thromboprophylaxis protocol (thinning the blood) having a huge effect in that blood group.

https://www.thrombosisresearch.com/article/S0049-3848(20)30329-7/pdf

Seems to be thickening the blood badly which is causing the lung problems, heart problems etc in survivors.

So much more study needed.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Hard to argue with that although our local area has been reasonably well behaved with the exception of one pub.

Venturing further out it seems to get worse

Went out for dinner on Wednesday night, no social distancing, no members of staff wearing PPE, thankfully we were seated away from the crowd. Me, my Mrs, my son and his wife had masks on when we went in, fuck me, the looks we were getting!!! don't get me started about the people down at the Riverside, absolute disgraceful. Type of people who will moan about lockdown protocols but need to have a good look at themselves.