Coronavirus - Page 163 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

46 minutes ago, biffer said:

The key thing is 'A virus 96 per cent identical' 

4 percent is a hell of a lot of genetics. We share 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees. 4 percent makes it significantly different.

Aye. this SARS CoV 2 genome is about 30000 nucleotides, so that means over 1100 differences. We shouldn't get too hung up about % similarities in the genetic code. That is only a tiny part of the story. 

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That is very true Biffer.

I still find it extremely suspicious that the wet market is next door to a global centre for research of these viruses. 

If you are interested in this sort of stuff you could try googling "PRRA furin cleavage sequence"

This example mentions the specific point we are discussing here

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420303287?via%3Dihub

"In addition, although sequence similarity values of 96%–97% make it sound like the available bat viruses are very closely related to SARS-CoV-2, in reality this likely represents more than 20 years of sequence evolution (although the underlying molecular clock may tick at an uncertain rate if there was strong adaptive evolution of the virus in humans). It is therefore almost a certainty that more sampling will identify additional bat viruses that are even closer relatives of SARS-CoV-2. A key issue is whether these viruses, or those from any other animal species, contain the key RBD mutations and the same furin-like cleavage site insertion as found in SARS-CoV-2."

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Some pubs in England having to close already due to customers testing positive for Covid. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-53315702

Given the timeline, you have to wonder what exactly is going on in these cases.   Presumably - and that's a big assumption - those people who have tested positive had no symptoms on Saturday, went to the pub, developed symptoms on the Sunday, were immediately tested and got the results back yesterday.    They themselves were probably infected some time ago, who they've passed it on to is another matter.

This'll be a good test for track and trace, let's hope it works.

21 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That is very true Biffer.

I still find it extremely suspicious that the wet market is next door to a global centre for research of these viruses. 

Well, 40 minutes drive anyway. Admittedly, I’d harboured images of somebody emptying a bucket of old virus down a drain in a shared alley.

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Well, 40 minutes drive anyway. Admittedly, I’d harboured images of somebody emptying a bucket of old virus down a drain in a shared alley.

Ah right I was getting confused with the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control which is only 300 metres away.

I'm sick of hearing  that the we are actually below the national average of deaths in the uk.for this time of year, are they that that stupid or do they think people in general are that stupid that we don't have the brains to work out that the UK has came to a standstill, that  for me is the reason why,  less people driving = less deaths on the roads, less people on the streets = less mindless murders, dangerous manual work being cut to essential work only = less job related deaths,  the list goes on  or maybe I'm being thick 

Edited by jcs

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I know this is bonkers but I'm believing l the bbc reporter on this one. Its away across a river and he says it takes 40 mins to drive. May well be 300 metrrs away across a river, admittedly.

No you're right it's the Wuhan Institute of Virology that's 40 minutes away.

41 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Quarantine not lifted for travel from Spain yet. Could make some folks holiday plans interesting...

2 weeks ago  Wizzair pulled my flight from Luton-Poland in September ( was going to  poland for 3 days then travelling to Prague for 3, not football related ) so I binned Poland and rebooked flight direct  from Luton to Prague to spend 6 days there instead . Flights were dirt cheap and everything else was already paid for. 
Jet2 have just cancelled my return flight from Prague, saying they have reduced their flying programme due to Coronavirus .

Its going to be chaos I think. I will need to find an alternative flight back, there are now no direct flights to Glasgow.  This trip was booked in January. I would not be booking anything at the moment if I didnt already have plans. 

This isn't going to go away. The majority of folk i see still aren't wearing masks of any sort. It's looking less likely there is any sort of long term immunity.

This isn't the beginning of the end.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

2 weeks ago  Wizzair pulled my flight from Luton-Poland in September ( was going to  poland for 3 days then travelling to Prague for 3, not football related ) so I binned Poland and rebooked flight direct  from Luton to Prague to spend 6 days there instead . Flights were dirt cheap and everything else was already paid for. 
Jet2 have just cancelled my return flight from Prague, saying they have reduced their flying programme due to Coronavirus .

Its going to be chaos I think. I will need to find an alternative flight back, there are now no direct flights to Glasgow.  This trip was booked in January. I would not be booking anything at the moment if I didnt already have plans. 

Theres no way i am booking flights till this is actually over. 

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Theres no way i am booking flights till this is actually over. 

Nor would I if I hadnt already booked anything but I dont want to be left with a hassle getting back if this goes ahead.  This break is 2 months away and anything could have happened by then.
If we are able to travel I will.
If the government says travel is acceptable to Prague I will go. I have abided by the guidance through all the restrictions , therefore if they say it is acceptable to travel I will.
But I will need to ensure I have some way of getting back. There are flights to Edinburgh for 24 quid so I am as well booking something. I will get a refund if they  cancel the flight. 

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nor would I if I hadnt already booked anything but I dont want to be left with a hassle getting back if this goes ahead.  This break is 2 months away and anything could have happened by then.
If we are able to travel I will.
If the government says travel is acceptable to Prague I will go. I have abided by the guidance through all the restrictions , therefore if they say it is acceptable to travel I will.
But I will need to ensure I have some way of getting back. There are flights to Edinburgh for 24 quid so I am as well booking something. I will get a refund if they  cancel the flight. 

Fair enough, I won't be risking it till I feel comfortable we are over this, if there are still beaches being locked down, pubs being closed, cities being locked down I won't bother. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Fair enough, I won't be risking it till I feel comfortable we are over this, if there are still beaches being locked down, pubs being closed, cities being locked down I won't bother. 

Thats totally understandable, I am just keeping my options open just now. If the break was next week I would not be going. 

We fly out on Sunday. The island we are going to has had 7 cases and zero deaths throughout the whole pandemic. If wee Nic wants me to quarantine when I get back fair enough. It'll cost me 9 days annual leave I could do with hanging onto but other than that I'm not arsed. 🙅‍♂️

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

We fly out on Sunday. The island we are going to has had 7 cases and zero deaths throughout the whole pandemic. If wee Nic wants me to quarantine when I get back fair enough. It'll cost me 9 days annual leave I could do with hanging onto but other than that I'm not arsed. 🙅‍♂️

I think everyone needs to look at their own circumstances and make a judgement from there.

I am going to Prague , a city, and if it  was next week I wouldnt go as there are , for me, too many restrictions in place for getting about and doing things . For me, that would not be enjoyable . 

If I was travelling to a quiet beach resort to simply relax all day and have something to eat at night then I may feel different as I dont think there would be too many restrictions round that. 

Others will simply not take any chances at all as they feel the risk is not yet worth it. 

I only booked this bloody trip to Prague as friends from USA were coming on a European River boat cruise and asked us if we could meet them in Prague. I had to tag Prague onto a holiday that was already booked,  so now have a Glasgow/Jersey/Luton/Poland/Prague /Edinburgh combo to try and navigate my way round in a pandemic. Meanwhile our friends cruise has been cancelled ! 

And as a final great big GIRUY, we fly to Prague the day AFTER Scotland play the nations cup game there 🙄

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think everyone needs to look at their own circumstances and make a judgement from there.

I am going to Prague , a city, and if it  was next week I wouldnt go as there are , for me, too many restrictions in place for getting about and doing things . For me, that would not be enjoyable . 

If I was travelling to a quiet beach resort to simply relax all day and have something to eat at night then I may feel different as I dont think there would be too many restrictions round that. 

Others will simply not take any chances at all as they feel the risk is not yet worth it. 

I only booked this bloody trip to Prague as friends from USA were coming on a European River boat cruise and asked us if we could meet them in Prague. I had to tag Prague onto a holiday that was already booked,  so now have a Glasgow/Jersey/Luton/Poland/Prague /Edinburgh combo to try and navigate my way round in a pandemic. Meanwhile our friends cruise has been cancelled ! 

And as a final great big GIRUY, we fly to Prague the day AFTER Scotland play the nations cup game there 🙄

I suppose the biggest risk for us is a spike whilst we're away causing flight cancellation. Even then we are staying with family in a villa. The local town, Los llanos is pretty much back to normal. Lockdown, when it came over there was strictly enforced with severe penalties for transgression. 

As you say you have to make your own judgement. It's not entirely risk free for us but there are mitigations that help, oh and the flights to Tenerife cost less than half the usual fare at this time of year 😎