Coronavirus - Page 160 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Seems that the apparent drop in cases in England is more to do with the UK government's figures ignoring tests not done within their NHS system - for some reason they refer to the other tests as "Pillar 2".  Seems to have come to light as a result of the Leicester lockdown.  Frankly (to quote Janey Godley there) it would be surprising if the number of cases was falling given the way that lockdown has pretty much been abandoned south of the border, unless maybe the virus is affected by the warmer weather in some way.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

To be fair, I don’t think cases are increasing. Less that 1000 new cases each day for five days in a row, that’s better than the previous week. Still shit, obviously, and not defending the UK govt in any way, but if we’re going to have a go at them, accuracy is essential.

They've started counting them differently so hard to tell. They changed the way they count for some reason.

EDIT: I see Alibi has alluded to the same thing above.

https://www.ft.com/content/301c847c-a317-4950-a75b-8e66933d423a

The ability of local leaders to manage new coronavirus outbreaks in the UK is being hampered by gaps in the reporting of infection data for cities and regions, according to analysis by the Financial Times. The government publishes a UK-wide figure for Covid-19 cases every day that includes tests from hospitals and those processed by commercial laboratories, including samples taken at home. But at a subnational level the total of new daily cases contains only hospital tests. The result is that hundreds of local authorities across the country are unable to see a timely picture of what is happening in their communities or compare that with other cities and regions of the UK.

According to published data for Leicester, the city recorded just 80 new positive tests between June 13-26. But health secretary Matt Hancock revealed that there were in fact 944 as he announced the decision to tighten the lockdown in Leicester, closing non-essential shops and ordering schools to shut to all non-key worker pupils by Thursday.

Edited by phart

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 5:10 PM, King Of Paisley said:

Also see that Carlaw already trying to play the constitutional card with regards the borders. Final proof the he and the rest of ilk are more interested in the Union than people's lives.

He really is a nasty, toadying cunt

He is a nasty, pathetic little man.

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Face coverings in shops mandatory in Scotland from the 10th of July. 

pain in the hole, surley this shit should have been forced at the start. either way, i cba with it

That's England now over 700 deaths per million population. That's cases with a confirmed positive COVID19 test. The real number is now over 1000 per million (Scotland is at about 750- a bit better but still not good). We are now at a stage where it might be sensible to count in percentages instead of ppm.

0.1% of the entire population has died of COVID19. 

That probably means that about 10% of the entire population has been infected. I'm hoping that I have done this calculation wrong but I don't think I have.

Only another 80 to 90% to go to test if herd immunity without a vaccine is a thing or not.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

pain in the hole, surley this shit should have been forced at the start. either way, i cba with it

If they'd done that you'd have had to have worn a mask to the shops for the past 3 months as well. Look at the positives ;)

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Its putting a mask on yer face, thats all. Hardly the chore its made out to be.

Ive ordered a tartan mask and a dons mask

I think that's Kirky's problem. Sounds like he is using his as a butt plug.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

DUFC up to their old tricks again.

If you mean sending some fans of other clubs into some weird inexplicable rage ? Then yes, yes we are 😂🤷‍♂️

Rangers 

Hearts 

Dundee

Thistle

All members of the ‘Karma’ brigade. 🤷‍♂️ 

To be fair, the Dees appear to have commendably joined us on the Hun shit list 👏

Edited by Jim Beem
Dees

Florida with their open beaches have went this in new cases in the last 4 weeks

July 2nd 10,109

June 25: 5,004

June 18: 3,207

June 11: 1,698

That's with population of 21 million.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

If they'd done that you'd have had to have worn a mask to the shops for the past 3 months as well. Look at the positives ;)

this is true

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I think you might be wearing it wrong? Have you read the instructions?

maybe that's the issue

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Its putting a mask on yer face, thats all. Hardly the chore its made out to be.

Ive ordered a tartan mask and a dons mask

i saw a killie one, looked awful.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Florida with their open beaches have went this in new cases in the last 4 weeks

July 2nd 10,109

June 25: 5,004

June 18: 3,207

June 11: 1,698

That's with population of 21 million.

YO, SPRING BREAK DUDE !!  Absolute twats 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That's England now over 700 deaths per million population. That's cases with a confirmed positive COVID19 test. The real number is now over 1000 per million (Scotland is at about 750- a bit better but still not good). We are now at a stage where it might be sensible to count in percentages instead of ppm.

0.1% of the entire population has died of COVID19. 

That probably means that about 10% of the entire population has been infected. I'm hoping that I have done this calculation wrong but I don't think I have.

Only another 80 to 90% to go to test if herd immunity without a vaccine is a thing or not.

Difficult to project numbers of infected from excess deaths. Need number of deaths from Covid and the IFR (infection fatality rate). You can have all sorts of arguments about what are and aren't covid deaths but let's not. The IFR is more difficult though. It's been estimated between 0.2% and 1.7%.

50,000 @0.2% = 25million infected

50,000 @1.7% = 3 million infected

Assuming Covid has R0=3, for herd immunity you need about 70% of the population to have immunity. About 47 million in the UK. 

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Social media is hoot. Loads of folk upset about wearing a mask as if its a form of control or torture.

We really do live in an age of morons.

"If you don't like wearing a mask, how about a ventilator?"

17 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Some more positive news on the vaccine front. Still early days for this one though.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/news/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-data/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/03/im-cautiously-optimistic-imperials-robin-shattock-on-his-coronavirus-vaccine?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is very positive too.

The key bit for me being :

The success rate of vaccines at this stage of development is 10%, Shattock says, and there are already probably 10 vaccines in clinical trials, “so that means we will definitely have one”.

25 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

The success rate of vaccines at this stage of development is 10%, Shattock says, and there are already probably 10 vaccines in clinical trials, “so that means we will definitely have one”.

That's not a very scientific thing to say for such a clever man.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

This gave me a larf...

:-))

Sums it up perfectly

The reaction is so pathetic. Some people have had to let loved ones go without being there, people have missed cancer treatment and died but ask some cunt to wear a mask and its open revolt. Fucking fannies