Coronavirus - Page 159 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 hours ago, phart said:

From telegraph

Nicola Sturgeon should examine introducing quarantine for English visitors to Scotland if the number of coronavirus cases south of the Border rises, one of her most trusted advisers has said.

Prof Devi Sridhar, who has played a key role in helping Ms Sturgeon formulate her Covid-19 strategy, said Scotland was trying to eliminate the virus but England's strategy was to "reopen as soon as possible" despite having up to 6,000 new daily cases.

She predicted Scotland could eliminate coronavirus by the end of the summer if the decline in new cases continues. There were no more deaths reported in Scotland on Sunday, for the third day running.

I'm glad it is at least being considered. 

My solution would be a big campsite somewhere near the M6. All visitors have to spend a week in the campsite before being allowed into Scotland for a holiday. Bring your own tent.

5 hours ago, phart said:

From telegraph

Nicola Sturgeon should examine introducing quarantine for English visitors to Scotland if the number of coronavirus cases south of the Border rises, one of her most trusted advisers has said.

Prof Devi Sridhar, who has played a key role in helping Ms Sturgeon formulate her Covid-19 strategy, said Scotland was trying to eliminate the virus but England's strategy was to "reopen as soon as possible" despite having up to 6,000 new daily cases.

She predicted Scotland could eliminate coronavirus by the end of the summer if the decline in new cases continues. There were no more deaths reported in Scotland on Sunday, for the third day running.

Made the mistake of clicking on the ‘reopen as soon as possible’ link and read the comments. 

Urgh ‘hate filled’ does not come close to describing these readers.  

Edited by TDYER63

27 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Maybe going to have a potential dilemma if there is an issue with the border/isolation with the rest of the UK. My sons wife is having their baby this week and me and the Mrs are booked to visit at the end of July (They stay in England). Does this mean that we may need  to isolate when we return 3 day's later? 

Have you got a tent?

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

Only 10 people in ICU as well which is hugely encouraging.

And the 7 day average for new infections is down to 10. Probably a good bit higher than that in reality but still looking good. Our big problem now is importing new cases. And we all know the most likely place where they are going to come from. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

And the 7 day average for new infections is down to 10. Probably a good bit higher than that in reality but still looking good. Our big problem now is importing new cases. And we all know the most likely place where they are going to come from. 

The problem is that politics will get in the way with that, not that I don't think the FM will do it if she thinks its the thing to do but rather there will be hell to pay if she does.

It was interesting at the press conference today when she was asked about this, her response was along the lines of "Before I say anything, don't view this through the prism of constitutional politics, but as a public health issue".   She then went on to give a number of examples of other countries were there were restrictions in place for people travelling to/from areas with high incidence.

No doubt as and when there are local outbreaks you may see something similar in the UK.

However, if it comes down to people being asked to quarantine if they've come from England, you can just see the media and Unionists going absolutely tonto.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

The problem is that politics will get in the way with that, not that I don't think the FM will do it if she thinks its the thing to do but rather there will be hell to pay if she does.

It was interesting at the press conference today when she was asked about this, her response was along the lines of "Before I say anything, don't view this through the prism of constitutional politics, but as a public health issue".   She then went on to give a number of examples of other countries were there were restrictions in place for people travelling to/from areas with high incidence.

No doubt as and when there are local outbreaks you may see something similar in the UK.

However, if it comes down to people being asked to quarantine if they've come from England, you can just see the media and Unionists going absolutely tonto.

Yet you can be sure as night follows day that if the roles were reversed the Tories would have the Army on the border to keep us Jocks out from spreading our germs amongst the English populace

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That's complete bullshit - I've no idea where that list has come from but in W&M the number of new cases is has been close to zero for the last couple of weeks.

The total number of confirmed cases as of yesterday was 312.   I do a weekly ZOOM quiz with some friends of mine and a month ago I was the quiz-master and I set the tie-breaker question of how many positive cases had there been in W&M and it was 299 then.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

That's complete bullshit - I've no idea where that list has come from but in W&M the number of new cases is has been close to zero for the last couple of weeks.

The total number of confirmed cases as of yesterday was 312.   I do a weekly ZOOM quiz with some friends of mine and a month ago I was the quiz-master and I set the tie-breaker question of how many positive cases had there been in W&M and it was 299 then.

Probably Theresa May . Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. 

Watching the daily briefing today it looks like the First Minister has finally ran out of patience with the press and the general stupidity of their questions.

I'm just amazed it's taken her so long.

1 hour ago, exile said:

New Scientist: "Scotland could eliminate the coronavirus – if it weren't for England"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247462-scotland-could-eliminate-the-coronavirus-if-it-werent-for-england/

I expect posters like Alan to soon confirm that the New Scientist has a long been an agitator for independence.

When the UK government announce a couple more lockdown locations in England and Wales then it’s on for the Scotland border which would be shite for folk off to Newcastle and Carlisle ( would you go to Carlisle for a drink ?) the weekend.when pubs are opening . 

18 minutes ago, phart said:

America up to 51k new cases yesterday.

UK slowly starting to climb the charts again.

To be fair, I don’t think cases are increasing. Less that 1000 new cases each day for five days in a row, that’s better than the previous week. Still shit, obviously, and not defending the UK govt in any way, but if we’re going to have a go at them, accuracy is essential.

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

To be fair, I don’t think cases are increasing. Less that 1000 new cases each day for five days in a row, that’s better than the previous week. Still shit, obviously, and not defending the UK govt in any way, but if we’re going to have a go at them, accuracy is essential.

It's the rate of decline that slowed right up as you point out.  That's always likely to be the case when you get to lower numbers but I'm not sure that in England the numbers of new cases are at the level where you would expect to see that tail off.