Coronavirus - Page 151 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

10 hours ago, fringo said:

Last week the relevant Scottish Govt minister mentioned it in the Scottish Parliament.

It was a provisional heads up to pubs, restaurants etc to maybe get ready for 15th July should things continue to improve.

No promise but just a note to maybe start planning for that date.

I won't be rushing out immediately as who know how this could work out and what impact it might have (which will take 3-4 weeks to show .in terms of another spike).

Pubs should be able to open outdoor spaces in the next few weeks as it’s part of phase 2. Maybe even next week. July 15 is about indoor opening, it’s the target date for phase 3.

3 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Advised  yesterday we are to continue working from home until @ least 1st September (Could even be December ) - Been working from home since 16rh March

Work longer hours at home, than office + more meetings 

Due to software problems I'm having to go into the office tomorrow,  first time for 3 months. Will be a strange experience!

41 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Looks like it is really starting to take hold in Brazil and India now... 

Nearly 4.8m closed cases now and 9% of them died. 

Could go  massively pear shaped in India as they seem to be clashing with Pakistan, China and Nepal on their borders.  

Niece quit working in Delhi ICU as police were beating nurses during the curfew and were at increased risk of rape from locals due to perceptions they were spreading the disease so should be locked in hospital 24/7!  Mental over there.    

14 hours ago, aaid said:

Even when pubs do open up, with social distancing and the like you have to imagine they'll be pretty shit places to be in.  TBH, you're probably as well just drinking at home.

Pubs here in Netherlands opened on June 1st and apart from the first day they are still very quiet. Didn't help that it rained quite heavily for days afterwards.

But you are right about social distancing part. Here the outside terraces have to have tables about 2 metres apart and table service only. For a number of terraces you have to book online to reserve a table.  And all sort of regulations if you live in same house etc. 

For the inside part, a maximum of 30 people are allowed inside and social distancing to be maintained. It looks very strange as the actual bars have a perspex screen round them and customers are sitting at bar 5 feet apart facing the screen.

Very few bars are busy from what I see. Customers are staying away in droves whether still scared of catching the virus or maybe enjoying drinking at home as it's cheaper or whatever. I was reading that some bars have closed again as social distancing has meant it wasn't worth reopening financially at moment.

It's definitely good bars have reopened but it is certainly not the same experience it was before. It will take a long time if ever that pubs will be back to what they were before the pandemic. 

11 minutes ago, amsterdam scot said:

Pubs here in Netherlands opened on June 1st and apart from the first day they are still very quiet. Didn't help that it rained quite heavily for days afterwards.

But you are right about social distancing part. Here the outside terraces have to have tables about 2 metres apart and table service only. For a number of terraces you have to book online to reserve a table.  And all sort of regulations if you live in same house etc. 

For the inside part, a maximum of 30 people are allowed inside and social distancing to be maintained. It looks very strange as the actual bars have a perspex screen round them and customers are sitting at bar 5 feet apart facing the screen.

Very few bars are busy from what I see. Customers are staying away in droves whether still scared of catching the virus or maybe enjoying drinking at home as it's cheaper or whatever. I was reading that some bars have closed again as social distancing has meant it wasn't worth reopening financially at moment.

It's definitely good bars have reopened but it is certainly not the same experience it was before. It will take a long time if ever that pubs will be back to what they were before the pandemic. 

The picture I have in my mind is one of going into a town centre Wetherspoons on a weekday afternoon and there's a single jakey occupying each table. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

The picture I have in my mind is one of going into a town centre Wetherspoons on a weekday afternoon and there's a single jakey occupying each table. 

But it's effectively rendered pointless as they pass the communal Daily Mail between themselves after licking their nicotine stained fingers to help turn the pages.  

3 hours ago, aaid said:

A large Glenlivet please and a packet of pork scratchings kid. 

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/06/15/another-highly-touted-hydroxychloroquine-study-turns-out-to-be-a-joke/

Nothing has turned my stomach more in all of this than these continual underhand attempts to rubbish this potential drug treatment. I don't know one way or the other but these attempts make me think it really does work (in conjunction with an antibiotic and zinc).

It is a drug that has been widely used for 70 years, it is out of patent and is mass produced mostly in India for pennies a pill. In short there is no real money to be made from it.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/06/15/another-highly-touted-hydroxychloroquine-study-turns-out-to-be-a-joke/

Nothing has turned my stomach more in all of this than these continual underhand attempts to rubbish this potential drug treatment. I don't know one way or the other but these attempts make me think it really does work (in conjunction with an antibiotic and zinc).

It is a drug that has been widely used for 70 years, it is out of patent and is mass produced mostly in India for pennies a pill. In short there is no real money to be made from it.

Those are the same folk that did the Dexamethasone study. Which hasn't yet been published, are far as I know. I hope somebody is doing some checks on vested interests.

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Those are the same folk that did the Dexamethasone study. Which hasn't yet been published, are far as I know. I hope somebody is doing some checks on vested interests.

Read all the associated links in that piece and then follow the links in those pieces.

An example "What are my « credentials » regarding this. Well first I am French-speaker, so I understand the various articles, videos and information originating from the Infectiopole de Marseille, where Professor Didier Raoult and his team work. I also read lots of statements regarding therapies by distinguished French medical doctors confronted with the current health crisis."

The other main article cited has this disclaimer "This article is not medical advice. It is however political advice."

Didier Raoult is THE authoratative source used in all the arguments. However as soon as you leave the US conservative media noosphere to read about him you get this https://forbetterscience.com/2020/04/22/chloroquine-witchdoctor-didier-raoult-barking-mad-and-dangerous/

or this for a scientific rebuttal of his paper: https://scienceintegritydigest.com/2020/03/24/thoughts-on-the-gautret-et-al-paper-about-hydroxychloroquine-and-azithromycin-treatment-of-covid-19-infections/

There's a lot of muddying waters about and Lancet having to make a retraction has upped the suspicion meters enough that anything is on the table now.

Considering what's on the table if an effective treatment or even a cure is developed it's a high stakes game.

Edited by phart

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I'm a wee bit confused about what that article is trying to say. I'm not sure the person who wrote it understands what was going on in this RECOVERY study. They were looking at various drugs including Dexamethasone and Chloroquine. They were only looking at the effects on hospitalised patients. By definition those patients in the UK are in the "serious" category. It's hard to tell, until the paper has been published, peer reviewed and replicated, but it seems to show that Dexamethasone is very good at reducing the mortality rate in those seriously ill patients but chloroquine has no benefit once they get to the "serious" stage. I don't think it will show anything at all about the potential benefit (or otherwise) of Chloroquine at the less serious stage, or as a prophylactic. That's not what they were studying.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, biffer said:

Pubs should be able to open outdoor spaces in the next few weeks as it’s part of phase 2. Maybe even next week. July 15 is about indoor opening, it’s the target date for phase 3.

Was hoping the opening of pubs with outdoor spaces would be announced today, I have a weeks holiday next week.
Nope 😕

This might be the worst holiday since 2 weeks pishing down in Millport with Chico the clown . 

41 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Was hoping the opening of pubs with outdoor spaces would be announced today, I have a weeks holiday next week.
Nope 😕

This might be the worst holiday since 2 weeks pishing down in Millport with Chico the clown . 

She is just trying to keep the good weather going. She knows that as soon as she opens outdoor pubs, the heavens will open up and we will have rain for three months. 

47 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nope 😕

Pubs in Ireland are about to start opening up, but with severe restrictions. 

I'm booked into this place... I think the tone of their post shows their sense of frustration. And yes, the irony of going to a pub called The Morgue during a pandemic isn't lost on me! :P

morg.jpg

Edited by Dave78

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Nope 😕

Same here. I think the difficulty is what do you do about toilet facilities. 

40 minutes ago, biffer said:

Same here. I think the difficulty is what do you do about toilet facilities. 

Maybe they think that opening pubs without access to toilets would encourage folk to go out and pish on statues and our prisons are full enough already.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Pubs in Ireland are about to start opening up, but with severe restrictions. 

I'm booked into this place... I think the tone of their post shows their sense of frustration. And yes, the irony of going to a pub called The Morgue during a pandemic isn't lost on me! :P

morg.jpg

😂😂 The Morgue. 
Wtf, 1 hr 45 mins , why would you move to a different table , does it not make more sense to keep you at the same table if you are lucky enough to win an  ‘extension’ cause the place was dead.

Like a Morgue infact ...

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe they think that opening pubs without access to toilets would encourage folk to go out and pish on statues and our prisons are full enough already.

They could ask the punters to trial a pint of chloroquine with every pint of lager and that way the statues would get a wee freshen up.
Win Win I would say.