Coronavirus - Page 146 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

https://www.rt.com/news/490734-hydroxychloroquine-faulty-data-science-flaw/

Rush to trash hydroxychloroquine based on faulty Surgisphere data exposes fundamental flaws in profit-based medical ‘science’

As the WHO and prestigious medical journal the Lancet back away from questionable data provided by healthcare analytics firm Surgisphere, ulterior motives for the rush to demonize hydroxychloroquine become clear.

The World Health Organization (WHO) sheepishly resumed testing the off-patent malaria drug hydroxychloroquine on coronavirus patients on Wednesday after pausing that arm of its ‘Solidarity’ clinical trial based on data that appeared to show the drug contributed to higher death rates among test subjects. That data, it turned out, came from a tiny US healthcare analytics firm called Surgisphere, and calling it faulty would be excessively charitable

Edited by thplinth

Looking at it , looks bad science, tobacco stuff.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31290-3/fulltext

Important scientific questions have been raised about data reported in the paper by Mandeep Mehra et al—Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis

—published in The Lancet on May 22, 2020. Although an independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere and is ongoing, with results expected very shortly, we are issuing an Expression of Concern to alert readers to the fact that serious scientific questions have been brought to our attention. We will update this notice as soon as we have further information.

17 hours ago, thplinth said:

https://www.rt.com/news/490734-hydroxychloroquine-faulty-data-science-flaw/

Rush to trash hydroxychloroquine based on faulty Surgisphere data exposes fundamental flaws in profit-based medical ‘science’

As the WHO and prestigious medical journal the Lancet back away from questionable data provided by healthcare analytics firm Surgisphere, ulterior motives for the rush to demonize hydroxychloroquine become clear.

The World Health Organization (WHO) sheepishly resumed testing the off-patent malaria drug hydroxychloroquine on coronavirus patients on Wednesday after pausing that arm of its ‘Solidarity’ clinical trial based on data that appeared to show the drug contributed to higher death rates among test subjects. That data, it turned out, came from a tiny US healthcare analytics firm called Surgisphere, and calling it faulty would be excessively charitable

I think some of the early papers suggesting it worked were based on the same database. There’s a guardian article about Surgisphere, they look dodgy as fuck. Still no good evidence that hydroxychloroquine does any good.

Survation. (@Survation) Tweeted: NEW @Survation Poll – UK General Election Voting Intention: CON 41% (-4) LAB 39% (+5) LD 7% (-1) GRN 4% (-) SNP 4% (-) BXP 1% (+1) OTH 4% (-) 1018 respondents, fieldwork 3 June 2020. Changes w/ 22-26 May 2020. https://t.co/62TcP0gIzi https://t.co/eGI4eqnYlT https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1269326346930569222?s=20

Edited by ThistleWhistle

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Survation. (@Survation) Tweeted: NEW @Survation Poll – UK General Election Voting Intention: CON 41% (-4) LAB 39% (+5) LD 7% (-1) GRN 4% (-) SNP 4% (-) BXP 1% (+1) OTH 4% (-) 1018 respondents, fieldwork 3 June 2020. Changes w/ 22-26 May 2020. https://t.co/62TcP0gIzi https://t.co/eGI4eqnYlT https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1269326346930569222?s=20

Another poll from Optimum showing similar results.   That's some swing over a short period pretty much irrelevant at the moment though 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Another poll from Optimum showing similar results.   That's some swing over a short period pretty much irrelevant at the moment though 

Totally agree and thought it was interesting that the arse seems to be falling out of their support on the handling of the pandemic.

At least they have the perfect demographic to blame for the second spike now.....

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Totally agree and thought it was interesting that the arse seems to be falling out of their support on the handling of the pandemic.

At least they have the perfect demographic to blame for the second spike now.....

Just a shame we have 4 years of these bellends still to go. No thanks to the swivel eyed Brexit loving cunts down south who voted for that murdering Etonian cunt

12 minutes ago, phart said:

First time that's happened in almost 3 months!!

Wouldn't read too much into it, there's always a drop in registrations over the weekend.    Numbers have been steadily declining for a while now.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Wouldn't read too much into it, there's always a drop in registrations over the weekend.    Numbers have been steadily declining for a while now.

Yes I know I actually thought of adding something like that, as we don't expect a flat line from now on, but then thought it was worth just noting this welcome fact on its own merits.

I wonder what the R values are. I have seen hints that Scotland's may be coming down while England's going up. Look I know there are all sorts of sensitivites (viral and political) and there is a danger of spurious comparison but I am curious as to if it could be to do with the differences in lockdown easing. 

Seems we have also dropped into the lowest category of z score indistinguishable from Ireland, Wales, and most of the rest of Europe.

image.thumb.png.8520d28083e3fc8d933e93fc51379c2c.png

Edited by exile

13 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes I know I actually thought of adding something like that, as we don't expect a flat line from now on, but then thought it was worth just noting this welcome fact on its own merits.

I wonder what the R values are. I have seen hints that Scotland's may be coming down while England's going up. Look I know there are all sorts of sensitivites (viral and political) and there is a danger of spurious comparison but I am curious as to if it could be to do with the differences in lockdown easing. 

Seems we have also dropped into the lowest category of z score indistinguishable from Ireland, Wales, and most of the rest of Europe.

image.thumb.png.8520d28083e3fc8d933e93fc51379c2c.png

By all accounts NW England's R number now over 1. And that was BEFORE the protest in Manchester yesterday. Mate has told me that his daughter's school reopening is being called off

Just now, King Of Paisley said:

By all accounts NW England's R number now over 1. And that was BEFORE the protest in Manchester yesterday. Mate has told me that his daughter's school reopening is being called off

This is really serious news and I really don't understand why it is not headline news. (Well, except to give cover to the Govt, obvs) R going back over 1 should be setting alarm bells ringing.

18 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Just a shame we have 4 years of these bellends still to go. No thanks to the swivel eyed Brexit loving cunts down south who voted for that murdering Etonian cunt

Are there any circumstances where another election could take place sooner ? For example, could a serious resurgence of Covid in England lead to a vote of no confidence in the government and in turn another election?
Not that I would want that situation of course. Much as it sticks in my craw I would rather put up with another 4 years of Tory than see people lose their life needlessly. 
 But I was wondering if that, or a Brexit cock up , could perhaps shorten  their term in office. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Are there any circumstances where another election could take place sooner ? For example, could a serious resurgence of Covid in England lead to a vote of no confidence in the government and in turn another election?
Not that I would want that situation of course. Much as it sticks in my craw I would rather put up with another 4 years of Tory than see people lose their life needlessly. 
 But I was wondering if that, or a Brexit cock up , could perhaps shorten  their term in office. 

A vote of no confidence would do it but with the size of the majority it would take something seriously chatastrophic for Johnson to lose one.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

None whatsoever.  The Tories have a majority of 80 and generally speaking turkeys don't vote for Christmas.  The only thing that could possibly happen.- and I'm not suggesting it will - is that Johnson becomes so personally tainted that's he's considered electoral poison and so the Tory MPs oust him and put someone else in.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:
A&E consultant on duty at a big London hospital tells me today “the virus is back”
5:47 PM · Jun 7, 2020

The warning signs are there from the likes of Iran over exiting lockdown too quickly...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/04/iran-faces-crisis-amid-record-number-of-daily-coronavirus-infections

Who knows what kind of impact the masses rallies this weekend will have over the next few weeks?...

1 hour ago, aaid said:

None whatsoever.  The Tories have a majority of 80 and generally speaking turkeys don't vote for Christmas.  The only thing that could possibly happen.- and I'm not suggesting it will - is that Johnson becomes so personally tainted that's he's considered electoral poison and so the Tory MPs oust him and put someone else in.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that happens. His government certainly deserves to fall and as a leader he's been shown to be nothing short of hopeless during this crisis.

No one knows how long the Covid thing is going to go on for, or what other crises are waiting around the corner (although Brexit going haywire seems like an obvious if not likely candidate) but if mud starts to stick then I can see them getting shot of him.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

That is the preferred Tory way, in my lifetime at least. Keep it in-house.

Thatcher -> Major. Cameron -> May -> Johnson. (Also IDS -> Howard, sort of)