Coronavirus - Page 138 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would say the fact there had been no quarantine up till now is even  more ridiculous. Tens of thousands of people coming in and out the country unchecked for 2 months whilst the rest of us are shackled  to our homes. 

Scorching sunshine and an easing of the rules was always going to be a problem. I imagine the governments are hoping there will still be a larger percentage of the population that will be more conservative in their interpretation of the easing. 

I'd imagine a certain level of non-compliance is built into the calculations, at least I hope that it is.   The problem is if the government admits that then it allows people to think "well they're expecting some people to ignore it, so it might as well be me".

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're having to think about whether or not you're breaking the guidelines, you probably are.

So how would this 14 day quarantine be enforced then?

In China they took you to a commandeered hotel where even if you were travelling with your spouse you had to stay in separate rooms, tested every day. On top of that they charged you a daily rate for room and board.

So if someone flew into the UK to visit friends and or family and the only place to stay is with them how exactly would this quarantine work? Have they got hotels lined up like they did in China?

I am betting no and it will be the usual half assed half baked too little too late bullshit that is the UK's specialty.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

So how would this 14 day quarantine be enforced then?

In China they took you to a commandeered hotel where even if you were travelling with your spouse you had to stay in separate rooms, tested every day. On top of that they charged you a daily rate for room and board.

So if someone flew into the UK to visit friends and or family and the only place to stay is with them how exactly would this quarantine work? Have they got hotels lined up like they did in China?

I am betting no and it will be the usual half assed half baked too little too late bullshit that is the UK's specialty.

I believe they are using a farm with outbuildings in Durham. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'd imagine a certain level of non-compliance is built into the calculations, at least I hope that it is.   The problem is if the government admits that then it allows people to think "well they're expecting some people to ignore it, so it might as well be me".

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're having to think about whether or not you're breaking the guidelines, you probably are.

Yes I agree.

However , whilst the rules are hardly a difficult concept to understand, , due to this weird union of nations we are in its hardly surprising folk are confused.  
The main news is geared to highlight what England is doing yet England  and Northern Ireland are allowed to have 6 people from any family meet up. In Scotland we have 8 people allowed to meet up but only from 2 families, and Wales can have any number of people but only from 2 different families. 
If we were like any other normal country we would simply get our own news. I am sure the main headline in France isn't what the fook Spain are doing for easing lockdown. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Anyone else that leaked video of that cunt Ian Murray saying Sturgeon is handling this worse than Johnson ?

Still raging his party no longer "owns" Scotland and his team got relegated.

Havent seen it but I imagine he will get laughed off the park. Most anti Sturgeon people  I know have begrudgingly accepted she has dealt with this better than Johnson, 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes I agree.

However , whilst the rules are hardly a difficult concept to understand, , due to this weird union of nations we are in its hardly surprising folk are confused.  
The main news is geared to highlight what England is doing yet England  and Northern Ireland are allowed to have 6 people from any family meet up. In Scotland we have 8 people allowed to meet up but only from 2 families, and Wales can have any number of people but only from 2 different families. 
If we were like any other normal country we would simply get our own news. I am sure the main headline in France isn't what the fook Spain are doing for easing lockdown. 

It really shouldn't be confusing though, it should be pretty straightforwards, if you live in Scotland it's what Nicola Sturgeon says, if you live in Wales it's what Mark Dayford says, if you live in England it's what Dominic Cummings says - not what he does - and if you live in Northern Ireland it's what Arlene Foster or Michelle O'Neill says depending on what foot you kick with, that applies.

TBH, I think the media - in particularly the "UK media" are more at fault here than any of the different governments are.  I don't think it's anything deliberate, just a factor that in general they constantly conflate the UK with England, it's ingrained.

Maybe a good idea might be that just after the daily Downing Stree briefing, rather than their being a UK round up of what was said, that there's a Scottish, Wels and N.Irish one which clarifies wand corrects any mixed messaging but then that would be public service broadcasting.  

My experience is that - in the main - Scottish, Welsh and Irish people - get and understand the whole concept of four nations.  Some of them might not agree with that, but they absolutely get it.  English people are a lot more confused.  When they sit down and think about it, I don't think it's a problem fôr the majority of them, it's just more in the subconscious.  

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Havent seen it but I imagine he will get laughed off the park. Most anti Sturgeon people  I know have begrudgingly accepted she has dealt with this better than Johnson, 

It seems to have backfired as he's getting grief of Nationalists for being, well Ian Murray, and he's getting grief off Leftie Labour types for appearing to be backing up Boris.

I don't have the numbers to hand but there was poll out earlier which had something like 45% of people saying they thought the Scottish Government was doing a good job whereas 15% thought the UK government was doing similar.

Nothing too surprising in that other than it was a UK-wide poll.

edit. Not bad from memory. 

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1266382178474176513?s=21

Edited by aaid

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

It really shouldn't be confusing though, it should be pretty straightforwards, if you live in Scotland it's what Nicola Sturgeon says, if you live in Wales it's what Mark Dayford says, if you live in England it's what Dominic Cummings says - not what he does - and if you live in Northern Ireland it's what Arlene Foster or Michelle O'Neill says depending on what foot you kick with, that applies.

TBH, I think the media - in particularly the "UK media" are more at fault here than any of the different governments are.  I don't think it's anything deliberate, just a factor that in general they constantly conflate the UK with England, it's ingrained.

Maybe a good idea might be that just after the daily Downing Stree briefing, rather than their being a UK round up of what was said, that there's a Scottish, Wels and N.Irish one which clarifies wand corrects any mixed messaging but then that would be public service broadcasting.  

My experience is that - in the main - Scottish, Welsh and Irish people - get and understand the whole concept of four nations.  Some of them might not agree with that, but they absolutely get it.  English people are a lot more confused.  When they sit down and think about it, I don't think it's a problem fôr the majority of them, it's just more in the subconscious.  

Agree with the bit in bold and agree that is is more a media problem , thats why I said the media report from an English perspective.  

Regardless of what people feel about the union it IS a weird  ( maybe ‘unusual’ is less antagonistic ) situation when compared to every other country in the world. 
Some people will think ‘ fuck it, England are allowed 6 people from different households ‘ we are part of the union so we are doing that.  Or, they even may just misinterpret the rules as they dont listen any further than the main headlines. 

Whereas i doubt anyone in France will be looking at their neighbouring countries and cherry picking the bits they want as the media will only be focusing on France. 

18 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Agree with the bit in bold and agree that is is more a media problem , thats why I said the media report from an English perspective.  

Regardless of what people feel about the union it IS a weird  ( maybe ‘unusual’ is less antagonistic ) situation when compared to every other country in the world. 
Some people will think ‘ fuck it, England are allowed 6 people from different households ‘ we are part of the union so we are doing that.  Or, they even may just misinterpret the rules as they dont listen any further than the main headlines. 

Whereas i doubt anyone in France will be looking at their neighbouring countries and cherry picking the bits they want as the media will only be focusing on France. 

I suspect there's an element amongst some of "I'm not doing whatever Nicola Sturgeon/Boris Johnson says" out of sheer paritisanship and bloody mindedness.

I also suspect people are looking at the different guidelines and where that directly inconveniences them they're complaining about it, ie,"I live in Carlisle and I want to get 8 people round for a barbecue but I can't, why can someone in Gretna do that and I can't", because you live in Carlisle and not Gretna you dick.*

i don't live in France obviously, or speak enough French to know what's been reported.  I'd be surprised though if there wasn't some discussion over different approaches being taken in different countries, particularly in neighbouring countries.  That said, I doubt there's any saying "Fuck you Macron, I'm going with what Merkel says", well maybe some hardliners in Alsace that have never accepted the Verseilles settlement.

*See also anyone who uses the phrase "postcode lottery" about anything, at any time.

Edited by aaid

14 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1266761419355238405

Van- Tam goes rogue - I think the scientists are distancing themselves pronto from this shit show

I don't blame them. Going into lockdown they were all in it together but now they have to set themselves apart. If the Govt go against their advice, and come out too soon, the scientists have to be on record as having said so.

Sturgeon has performed better than Johnson. She's a lot better behind a lectern. Professional and polished.  But the detail does not have a huge amount of difference in policy.  It was herd immunity then lockdown.  Rugby and football games on week before.  Nike Conference outbreak in Edinburgh hushed up.  Majority of NHS been doing little as everything went into covid so cancer, mental health, abusive relationships etc have got worse.  Economy is bust. Defending Calderwood then backtracking.  Care homes have been killing fields.  Track and trace abandoned now restarted but its through call centres not a mobile app.  It's not been hugely different to England. 

It IS an impossible task. Our death rates are 2nd or 3rd highest in Europe. Possibly down to demographics of age, ill health - obesity, diabetes etc, maybe unlucky genes?  The virus is hitting some sections/ethicities/groups of society and passing by others.  

But patting ourselves on the back is bizarre.   Obsessing about rUK causes distraction no matter the fuck ups of Johnson or Cummings.  Now public are full on out and about today travelling more than 5 miles to places like Loch Lomond.  Same public who don't understand devolution 20+ years since inception.

Edited by Alan

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

Sturgeon has performed better than Johnson. She's a lot better behind a lectern. Professional and polished.  But the detail does not have a huge amount of difference in policy.  It was herd immunity then lockdown.  Rugby and football games on week before.  Nike Conference outbreak in Edinburgh hushed up.  Majority of NHS been doing little as everything went into covid so cancer, mental health, abusive relationships etc have got worse.  Economy is bust. Defending Calderwood then backtracking.  Care homes have been killing fields.  Track and trace abandoned now restarted but its through call centres not a mobile app.  It's not been hugely different to England. 

It IS an impossible task. Our death rates are 2nd or 3rd highest in Europe. Possibly down to demographics of age, ill health - obesity, diabetes etc, maybe unlucky genes?  The virus is hitting some sections/ethicities/groups of society and passing by others.  

But patting ourselves on the back is bizarre.   Obsessing about rUK causes distraction no matter the fuck ups of Johnson or Cummings.  Now public are full on out and about today travelling more than 5 miles to places like Loch Lomond.  Same public who don't understand devolution 20+ years since inception.

Your last sentance is exactly righ and its exactly why scotland needs get the fuck away from the uk government as soon as possible

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Has she though? Numbers wise, not the fact she’s actually fronted up unlike that cunt Boris, has she???

It's a global pandemic and everyone becomes expert epedemiologists and public health czars.  FFS if someone had said in February we would have 97% less flights into UK, temporary hospitals built, closed schools for 3 months, push for ventilators (which from learning has dropped in importance), working from home (for me) for 6 months minimum, public transport as a health risk, majority of shops shut, all pubs and restaurants closed and government paying wages of 10 million(?) people and I'd have said "what is social distancing?"

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Has she though? Numbers wise, not the fact she’s actually fronted up unlike that cunt Boris, has she???

No she has not but folk cling to her doing marginally better as her actually doing a good job. It is totally pathetic cringe stuff. 

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

No she has not but folk cling to her doing marginally better as her actually doing a good job. It is totally pathetic cringe stuff. 

Nope, thats not what i think and i dont see anyone saying that on here

Edited by vanderark14

7 minutes ago, Alan said:

The fact the Scottish population as a whole do not understand devolution and the vast responsibilities MSP's have is a wonderful thing for those in power in Holyrood. 

If the MSPs turned round and told the scottish population to listen to them and ignore boris,you know exactly what the back lash would be. 

At the risk of a ban, unionist fuck pigs like you make me sick. It doesnt matter how poorly you are treated or how much you are looked down upon you still pine for the union. Get fucked alan

Edited by vanderark14

7 minutes ago, Alan said:

The fact the Scottish population as a whole do not understand devolution and the vast responsibilities MSP's have is a wonderful thing for those in power in Holyrood. 

That of course cuts both ways.  

Says the guy sucking Tory dick 24/7 come rain or shine. All those excess deaths are down to the ideology  you espouse. All the shit policies and horrible cunts you love so much - we are now living the results.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Nope, thats not what i think and i dont see anyone saying that on here

Did i say that is what you think? Did I say anyone was saying it? 

Och dont bother answering. Cant be bothered with these false premise discussions anymore.

Edited by thplinth