Coronavirus - Page 121 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 hours ago, exile said:

If you look at it over time, (using the slider) you can see that different countries reached their peaks at different times. In week 12, england is the first of the UK to be hit; by week 15 all of Great Britain is in the worst category (along with Spain, France and Italy); since week 15 it's been subsiding in Scotland and Wales (and most of the rest of Europe) but in England it appears to be still in the worst category.

What I am not sure is how those Z scores relate to the R scroes, where Scotland seems to be a bit higher (for R) than England (though England has stark regional variation).

The worst category has z score entry point of 15. Scotland was just over that. England’s worst was 42. I think the categories aren’t set up for the current situation. The scores country by country are in the graphs at the very bottom.

2 hours ago, biffer said:

The worst category has z score entry point of 15. Scotland was just over that. England’s worst was 42. I think the categories aren’t set up for the current situation. The scores country by country are in the graphs at the very bottom.

I was on that website but it doesn’t give straight figure 

it was reported on Irish radio that Irish deaths are running about average ie the covid deaths offset the reduced road traffic deaths etc but the UK is running about 11k a week above average  but can’t  find any figures 

We are fucked and will shortly all be expendable

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/16/uss-theodore-roosevelt-sailors-test-positive-coronavirus-261873

13 USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors test positive after recovering from Covid-19

Thirteen sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive again for Covid-19 after recovering from the disease and returning to the ship, which has been stranded in Guam since late March after an outbreak of the virus, according to two U.S. defense officials.

This is a scandal. (And before some cunt has a go at me for attacking care homes, get fucked.)

Covid-19: “Staggering number” of extra deaths in community is not explained by covid-19

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1931

At a briefing hosted by the Science Media Centre on 12 May he explained that, over the past five weeks, care homes and other community settings had had to deal with a “staggering burden” of 30 000 more deaths than would normally be expected, as patients were moved out of hospitals that were anticipating high demand for beds.

Of those 30 000, only 10 000 have had covid-19 specified on the death certificate. While Spiegelhalter acknowledged that some of these “excess deaths” might be the result of underdiagnosis, “the huge number of unexplained extra deaths in homes and care homes is extraordinary. When we look back . . . this rise in non-covid extra deaths outside the hospital is something I hope will be given really severe attention.”

He added that many of these deaths would be among people “who may well have lived longer if they had managed to get to hospital.”

Underlying causes
David Leon, professor of epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, agreed. “Some of these deaths may not have occurred if people had got to hospital,” he said. “How many is unclear. This issue needs urgent attention, and steps taken to ensure that those who would benefit from hospital treatment and care for other conditions can get it.”

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

No photo description available.

Not quite sure why the drugs death stat is thrown in at the end there. 

The number of cases stat looks like it might be a bit deceptive, given that there are 100,000 positive tests not assigned to a nation in the UK GOV figures (the ones carried out by private labs).

Testing is right, don't understand why we're not doing more.

Key question seeing that is why is the death rate lower in Scotland?

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Tempted to put this into the Positivity thread.   The last three days have new infections less than 100 per day.   The last day we had that was 24th March.

Tuesday-Saturday are the worst days for reported death numbers, but today is the least-bad Tuesday since March also.   I appreciate there's more bad news for people through the week.

Starting to look good though if we don't loose control.   My region, Glasgow & Clyde in particular still has a wee bit to go.

With how many new infections/day could we be able to manage test & trace?

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Tempted to put this into the Positivity thread.   The last three days have new infections less than 100 per day.   The last day we had that was 24th March.

Tuesday-Saturday are the worst days for reported death numbers, but today is the least-bad Tuesday since March also.   I appreciate there's more bad news for people through the week.

Starting to look good though if we don't loose control.   My region, Glasgow & Clyde in particular still has a wee bit to go.

the amount of active cases has halved since start of May as well, another good sign. Test and Trace , to me, seems to be the way to go.

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Test and Trace is being trialled in three health boards starting this week. Fife Lanarkshire and Highland. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52698392

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

With  death rate of 392 per million against 554, why not reported above?  59 in ICU  much improved from 174 a month ago. This is not an opinion just omitted facts.

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Number 2 is fairly useless as could easily just ask why English deaths outside care homes are double Scotland as a ratio. 

The other thing is total deaths are at 44k with Scotland only being about 5% of that total.  Scotland's care home deaths is running about 10% but if this is accurate would be down to 5%:

https://www.carehomeprofessional.com/research-estimates-put-real-care-home-covid-19-death-toll-at-over-22000/

The ratio is something that the SG needs challenging on but holding England up as a benchmark of success doesn't hold water.  I'd rather have a bigger slice of our shit sandwich than their medium sized slice of a massive shit sandwich.

9 hours ago, biffer said:

Not quite sure why the drugs death stat is thrown in at the end there. 

The number of cases stat looks like it might be a bit deceptive, given that there are 100,000 positive tests not assigned to a nation in the UK GOV figures (the ones carried out by private labs).

Testing is right, don't understand why we're not doing more.

Key question seeing that is why is the death rate lower in Scotland?

The guy's grasping at straws. He sure, really, can't care about Scotland's health record. Or police or education.  It's bizarre. 20 years of devolution and people down south never ever cared so much about dull old devolved policies that only affect a peripheral country's population. So why are they all of a sudden so interested in comparing nations, as if it's a morbid race?

(I thought that in Scotland they count deaths by prescription drugs as drugs deaths, but in England they don't, and that that could explain the difference.)

7 hours ago, exile said:

The guy's grasping at straws. He sure, really, can't care about Scotland's health record. Or police or education.  It's bizarre. 20 years of devolution and people down south never ever cared so much about dull old devolved policies that only affect a peripheral country's population. So why are they all of a sudden so interested in comparing nations, as if it's a morbid race?

(I thought that in Scotland they count deaths by prescription drugs as drugs deaths, but in England they don't, and that that could explain the difference.)

They do but we shouldn't try and deflect from the fact that Scotland has a very specific and acute problem with drug deaths that is different from - or more severe than - the rest of the UK.

The reasons for that are complex and go back over decades - it's not solely the fault of the current administration.

However, there is some responsibility that does attach to the current government particularly in cutting funding to support services in recent years.  As always you have to view that in the macro economic context of austerity but these are all political choices.  Drug consumption rooms will certainly help reduced the numbers dying but they won't - in and of themselves - address any of the underlying causes of addiction.

Mind you, I doubt any of those making the most noise about this would give two hoots about how many dead junkies there are but for the opportunity for political point scoring. 

6 hours ago, aaid said:

They do but we shouldn't try and deflect from the fact that Scotland has a very specific and acute problem with drug deaths that is different from - or more severe than - the rest of the UK.

The reasons for that are complex and go back over decades - it's not solely the fault of the current administration.

However, there is some responsibility that does attach to the current government particularly in cutting funding to support services in recent years.  As always you have to view that in the macro economic context of austerity but these are all political choices.  Drug consumption rooms will certainly help reduced the numbers dying but they won't - in and of themselves - address any of the underlying causes of addiction.

Mind you, I doubt any of those making the most noise about this would give two hoots about how many dead junkies there are but for the opportunity for political point scoring. 

Wow, really!? We have an acute problem relative to other countries and people are dying and this is the thing you decide to cut? Staggering.

Plenty money it seems to fund all the other utter shite you seem so keen on. Priorities eh.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Is the difference not that we could drugs deaths very differently than how England counts them? The criteria to be counted is so different, that comparison will be daft.

22 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Is the difference not that we could drugs deaths very differently than how England counts them? The criteria to be counted is so different, that comparison will be daft.

Correct, any direct comparisons on numbers are meaningless.   However, I do see a number of people try and dismiss this as "it's just the way the numbers are counted" - not suggesting you are - and that there isn't a problem and that somehow it's not as bad as the rest of the UK, or even Europe.    That's downright wrong, there is a serious problem and that's just about the scale of it, really really bad, or really, really, really, really bad.

Similarly you can't say this all proves that the current SNP government are useless as the problems  - or the root of the problems - go back decades and they are not things they can solve this all on their own.   That said, there are things that they could've done in the past or could do now that they aren't doing that would help.

This should be something that's used as a stick to beat either government with and anyone who tries to score political points needs to take a look at themselves, that's my main point.

31 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

'Yaaaas, mon the immune system". Folk are legitimately bonkers.

I might be completely misunderstanding how these viruses work, but ironically for that bam, doesn't the virus cause an overwhelming reaction from the body's immune system that ends up killing you?

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

'Mon ra immune system.   Guy sounds like a dead ringer for Loki tbf.

Or the "Go to Wales" Rangers fan....

bam.png