Coronavirus - Page 117 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

39 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Didn't think it was possible for him to lose it any further, but...

I actually wish Sturgeon took the same approach, albeit milder, with the Quisling media in Scotland 

Maybe today will be a good time with the Scottish Tories and BBC Scotland going to hold the Scottish Government to account over their Covid-19 response

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Was he positive for antibodies or the virus?

If you guys are getting tested on a regular basis, those results could be very interesting. I hope these results are being passed on to somebody who can study them, even if it's on an anonymous basis.

Strong belief that the virus has been around for some time now.

Wife was in West coast US last autumn. 3/4 weeks after returning she came down with something akin to flu but it lasted for weeks, and when corona symptoms started to be made known she felt it was very similar to what she suffered 2/3 months prior. Also read somewhere that Stanford publish stuff about people already having antibodies for covid in California area despite never having the virus. 

56 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I actually wish Sturgeon took the same approach, albeit milder, with the Quisling media in Scotland 

Maybe today will be a good time with the Scottish Tories and BBC Scotland going to hold the Scottish Government to account over their Covid-19 response

She's more than capable of dealing with anything the Scottish media or the Scottish Tories throw at her - and Sturgeoning them when appropriate - with looking like a spoiled brat which is how Trump comes across.

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Wife was in West coast US last autumn. 3/4 weeks after returning she came down with something akin to flu but it lasted for weeks, and when corona symptoms started to be made known she felt it was very similar to what she suffered 2/3 months prior. Also read somewhere that Stanford publish stuff about people already having antibodies for covid in California area despite never having the virus. 

I don't think that is what that study claimed. 

50 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think that is what that study claimed. 

In fact, I know that isn't what that study claimed.

The Sanford study claims to show that up 4% of the population of Santa Clara county may have already had COVID-19. Other scientists have questioned their methodology and think they might have overestimated the number of people who have been infected.

Time will tell. A lot more testing will be required before we have much more reliable information. 

3 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Quite a few folk I have spoken to reckon they had it November/Decemberish, were absolutely floored with it, but just assumed it was bad flu type thing.

14 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Quite a few folk I have spoken to reckon they had it November/Decemberish, were absolutely floored with it, but just assumed it was bad flu type thing.

I've done hundreds of back to work interviews with folk who claim to have had the flu. Most of them are lying malingerers.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I've done hundreds of back to work interviews with folk who claim to have had the flu. Most of them are lying malingerers.

Haha this is also true, but I believe at least one of the people I talked to.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2020-05-12/station-ticket-office-worker-dies-with-covid-19-after-being-spat-at/

Railway worker and mother-of-one died 'after being spat on by man with Covid-19'

Absolutely appalling story however the headline is far from accurate.   She was spat on by someone who *said* they had COVID-19, who has never been traced let alone tested positive.

I hope they do catch the scumbag and throw the book at him but that's pretty irresponsible reporting 

50 minutes ago, Kirk said:

It is highly unlikely

The first confirmed Covid-19 death in the UK was February 28th

It is possible people were dying with it prior to this date where Covid-19 was undetected however again unlikely as testing for the virus started worldwide in January

There would be at the very least anecdotal evidence of people dying with a mysterious virus prior to then

I know statistics show that people die with with flu but have you ever heard of anyone dying from it ?

This is why i think we would know by now if it had been here prior to December 2019

4 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

That is very possible... this guy presents a plausible case (but then backs down from it at the end).

Edited by thplinth

On 5/11/2020 at 12:30 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

I think NS’s exposure during this is a double edged sword.  On the one hand her communication during this is night and day compared to down south’s omnishambles and Morgan obviously enjoyed dealing with someone who didn’t just crumble.  It shows how bad it is that standing up to the merest of scrutiny means you’re a shining light in a flood of dross and it’s given her an easy ride up to now on our own failings in care homes.

The other side to the sword, and it’s a big risk to independence for me, is that the UK have seen NS (and the SNP by proxy), every day.  At previous elections the Tory’s have managed to make Labour getting in bed with the SNP seem like treason and somehow a far worse option than them involving the DUP who don’t believe in rape victims getting abortion nor being massive fans of the gays.  That ginnie is well and truly out the lamp now and aside from the usual gammons it’s not going to be as scary a prospect next time. 

Early days yet but Starmer seems a more astute tactician than Jezza and if he thought the best chance of getting in was starting the race with the 50+ seats Labour/SNP would likely hold up here.  If there was a coalition then one of the key arguments around  being relevant in WM is knocked out the water plus the troughers in residence are going to absolutely love it.

Imagine if Starmer gave us an independence referendum after whatever is left following Brexit and Corona with the choice being him/ SNP in WM or us going it alone then you’d imagine a number of softer yes votes would be torn

I tend to agree with you . I also think the big risk to independence is the massive debt we will now have ,  people  may feel there is too much risk. Yes, it will only be a portion of the UK debt, but it will be sizeable. 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I tend to agree with you . I also think the big risk to independence is the massive debt we will now have ,  people  may feel there is too much risk. Yes, it will only be a portion of the UK debt, but it will be sizeable. 

We arent responsible for it under international law. Tell them to fuck off.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Guy out here had previously tested positive for covid had a antibody test which came back that he didnt have the antibodies, not sure what to read from that

It could be a number of things.

Could have been a false positive COVID test. The lab test is only one part of the diagnosis. Did he have symptoms? Was he bad enough to need hospital? X-ray, CT scan? A lot of it still comes down to a doctor's diagnosis of all the above.

It could be a false negative antibody test. As far as I am aware none of the new "quick" antibody test kits have been validated for use in the UK yet. There are dozens, maybe even hundreds of different types of test kits being developed. It takes a long time and a lot of testing to validate any one test kit. Different test kits claim to have different levels of specificity and sensitivity. This one looks very promising.

https://www.med-technews.com/news/covid-19-antibody-test-launched-and-available-to-public/

For this test they say this

"If the test is done before 20 days post onset of symptoms, there is a risk of a false negative if the body hasn’t had enough time to generate the antibodies." 

Another possibility is that he had antibodies but the level has now dropped below the lower limit of the test kit used. Different test kits will register positive at different levels of antibodies. 

At present it's too early to have much degree of accuracy about what level of antibodies is required to provide immunity.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That's an easy one. No pound sterling = no debt.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I think like a lot of things, something like this crisis just reinforces your core view rather than makes you go one way or another.    If you already support Independence or are open to the idea then you'd probably look at it and think that maybe we'd have been better able to deal with it if we had full control.   If you're against Independence or are sceptical about it, you'll probably take the view that being part of the UK is better.

45 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's an easy one. No pound sterling = no debt.

Can we have the blue pound as our currency? 

I hear there will be plenty of spare next season