Coronavirus - Page 115 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, King Of Paisley said:

It's becoming clear that even people who don't have much time for our FM think she has been statesmanlike in her approach and handling of this crisis. My parents aren't Sturgeon fans by any stretch, but we were talking last night and their estimations of her have gone off the scale. Granted, she hasn't got everything right, but she has never hid and taken on difficult questions. Unlike that tousled haired cunt that masquerades as PM

I said something similar a couple of weeks ago. I'm not her biggest supporter but as I said she seems to be more upfront than Johnson or any tory minister who takes the press conferences. You can just tell when Johnson or any other tory talks it's utter bollocks. 

I guess if you're the person who has to read out the numbers every day and regularly speak to or hear from relatives and those who work in hospitals and care homes and deal with it on a daily basis then you might have a different perspective.

Again, probably says more about you than anything. 

56 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I said something similar a couple of weeks ago. I'm not her biggest supporter but as I said she seems to be more upfront than Johnson or any tory minister who takes the press conferences. You can just tell when Johnson or any other tory talks it's utter bollocks. 

Seems? I think she IS. She has been at that lectern every day, taking questions from all sides of the media including those of a hostile, pro Union persuasion. No pre recorded messages, no hiding in fridges. A stateswoman. 

So the working class in England have got less than 12 hours to get back to work how’s that one going to work given the cunt has said not to use public transport so if you don’t have a car you’re pretty much fucked I guess he’s using the working class as a sort of human shield 

If folk think NS has done any better than BJ they are deluded.

Having better presentation skills amounts to fuck all in this situation.

Scotland's response has hardly deviated at all from the shambles response of Westminster. It hasn't.

Speaking to someone working at a major Glasgow hospital they say they are remarkably quiet. So why are they not trying to save some of the excessive care home fatalities instead of twiddling their thumbs. NS is just trying to look marginally better than BJ. Both are arseholes.

Up till now NS has been quite close, probably too close to the UK approach, perhaps due to caution or maybe deference or fear of upsetting the unionist media.

But Johnson has blown that away due to unilaterally breaking the "4 nations" approach. Today seems like a turning point, looks as if the 3 devolved governments have found their feet & voice. Now, they can - rightly - present it as Johnson breaking the united approach. They can't be blamed for deviating from the plan when they stuck to the previouosly agreed plan and Johnson didn't even tell the what his plan was till after he'd recorded it then ran away. You sense even the journalists covering this see it. 

I see plenty people in England & beyond - and know a fair few - neutrals, if you like - who would prefer the Scots Govt approach. Not perfect but much preferable to the gruesome shambles of the Johnson regime. 

You don't need to be a Sturgeon fan to see it - as someone said, when the DUP, Sinn Féin, Labour and SNP and their respective administrations all agree it's right to stay under lockdown - and many of the English public are very concerned about what Johnson's doing.

Edited by exile

54 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Sturgeon on GMB right now. Morgan is desperate to get her to criticise Boris and his message. 

You could see her mouthing to herself

" for fuck sake give me a chance tae speak"

He was trying hard to put words in her mouth, though she will completely agree with him she did well to resist, I think she was smiling to herself, enjoying the joust. 

10 minutes ago, Farcity said:

He was trying hard to put words in her mouth, though she will completely agree with him she did well to resist, I think she was smiling to herself, enjoying the joust. 

He did put words in her mouth at the end. He finished the interview by saying "Nicola Sturgeon thinks easing lockdown will cost lives". This is despite her stating that she only speaks for Scotland and not the rest of the UK. 

I guess she had the balls to go on, the more exposure she has to get the right message across scotland the better. 

9 minutes ago, Farcity said:

I didn't see that but I did just see her on Sky being interviewed by Kay Burley, who cut across her mid answer as Matt Hancock was walking up Downing St.   

When they cut back, the FM certainly wasn't smiling.

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Yes. We/they are simply numbers. Do you really think any of them care? Seriously??

You're wired to the moon.

Pretty disturbing assumption that you have jumped to there, although given your past posting history I'm not survived.

You strike me as the wee fat know it all kid at school that even his parents hated and you've resented life ever since.

12 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Seems? I think she IS. She has been at that lectern every day, taking questions from all sides of the media including those of a hostile, pro Union persuasion. No pre recorded messages, no hiding in fridges. A stateswoman. 

I highlighted seems as I have a mistrust of all politicians but do admire the way NS has been handling the SG updates especially with some of the questions the journalists have been asking, credit were credit is due. She has made mistakes by her own admission which is unusual for politicians.

That Johnson message last night was utterly ludicrous and strengthened even further by Raab coming out this morning and saying that in fact, we'll publish guidance for workplaces over the next day so you shouldnt go back to work until Wednesday. There was absolutely no mention of that from Boris last night.

What they are now doing quite clearly is passing the responsibility onto the individual which is what they've been hoping all along and frankly all this will do is affect the working classes disproportionately.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

That Johnson message last night was utterly ludicrous and strengthened even further by Raab coming out this morning and saying that in fact, we'll publish guidance for workplaces over the next day so you shouldnt go back to work until Wednesday. There was absolutely no mention of that from Boris last night.

What they are now doing quite clearly is passing the responsibility onto the individual which is what they've been hoping all along and frankly all this will do is affect the working classes disproportionately.

and yet there will be plenty in Scotland who will still support Boris.

15 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

It's becoming clear that even people who don't have much time for our FM think she has been statesmanlike in her approach and handling of this crisis. My parents aren't Sturgeon fans by any stretch, but we were talking last night and their estimations of her have gone off the scale. Granted, she hasn't got everything right, but she has never hid and taken on difficult questions. Unlike that tousled haired cunt that masquerades as PM

Sorry to say i'm afraid NS has been well off the pace. Other similar size countries reacted quicker and better whilst she opted to go along  with Boris. Only now is she trying to do what is right for us.

14 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

I think NS’s exposure during this is a double edged sword.  On the one hand her communication during this is night and day compared to down south’s omnishambles and Morgan obviously enjoyed dealing with someone who didn’t just crumble.  It shows how bad it is that standing up to the merest of scrutiny means you’re a shining light in a flood of dross and it’s given her an easy ride up to now on our own failings in care homes.

The other side to the sword, and it’s a big risk to independence for me, is that the UK have seen NS (and the SNP by proxy), every day.  At previous elections the Tory’s have managed to make Labour getting in bed with the SNP seem like treason and somehow a far worse option than them involving the DUP who don’t believe in rape victims getting abortion nor being massive fans of the gays.  That ginnie is well and truly out the lamp now and aside from the usual gammons it’s not going to be as scary a prospect next time. 

Early days yet but Starmer seems a more astute tactician than Jezza and if he thought the best chance of getting in was starting the race with the 50+ seats Labour/SNP would likely hold up here.  If there was a coalition then one of the key arguments around  being relevant in WM is knocked out the water plus the troughers in residence are going to absolutely love it.

Imagine if Starmer gave us an independence referendum after whatever is left following Brexit and Corona with the choice being him/ SNP in WM or us going it alone then you’d imagine a number of softer yes votes would be torn

I've got a friend of a friend type situation and the care home debacle (i've been told) has a lot of folk raging. It matters little what folk say, it's what they do that's important which is why i rarely watch speeches at all, Q&A situations are slightly different.

21 minutes ago, teecee- said:

Sorry to say i'm afraid NS has been well off the pace. Other similar size countries reacted quicker and better whilst she opted to go along  with Boris. Only now is she trying to do what is right for us.

I agree totally our response hasn't been good enough and I’d have much preferred her go our own way from the off but can you imagine the reaction!!  It will have ultimately cost lives but yet she’s now got an absolute free hit because the Scottish Tories told her we should all respond together yet their party broke a union wide response.  They’ll obviously spin some bollocks to cover it up but plenty of folk will see through it. 

She is now also fully authorised to plough our own furrow so at the end can say our original performance, although better than UK, could possibly have been better if we’d gone our own way from the off.    We’d then be in a bizarre position where the opposition could be arguing we should have acted independently from the start whilst SNP defending acting in concert with the UK government!!