Coronavirus - Page 111 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

the day the UK ( which had a head start and no land border to mainland Europe ) deaths exceeded Italy and the Daily Telegraph break a story which is picked up by a majority of the press about a scientist having an affair and breaking curfew .

Malcom Tucker :cheers3::cheers3::cheers3:

22 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

There needs to be an investigation into what has happened in care homes after this because there would seem to be at least three general failures - it getting in to a controlled environment in the first place in so many homes; it being allowed to spread in that environment and; it looking like they're potentially not being taken to hospital when there is plenty capacity.  

The BBC actually highlighted the high number of deaths in care homes quite a bit yesterday .  
What is the situation with care home patients suspected of having the virus ? Is there a legal obligation to get them to hospital given there is no vaccine, or is it the patients choice ?
A lot of elderly people are scared stiff of going to hospital at the best of times, never mind in a pandemic with no known vaccine. But if they refuse to go they may ultimately be hastening their death.  Fear of the hospital may be a big factor in the high number of deaths if there is no obligation for them to go . 
Why would there be available beds in hospitals and so many of the elderly care home residents dying without even getting there ? Surely the people running care homes would be pushing for the residents to get to hospital? 

As an aside,  it was Dominic Raab giving the governments update yesterday . I dont listen to these updates much as I get the information anyway. He was awful, as was the woman that was supporting him . She was getting her numbers mixed up, both were stuttering and stumbling over words. They would give me no confidence whatsoever. I would have thought he would be used to the updates by now. 

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The BBC actually highlighted the high number of deaths in care homes quite a bit yesterday .  
What is the situation with care home patients suspected of having the virus ? Is there a legal obligation to get them to hospital given there is no vaccine, or is it the patients choice ?
A lot of elderly people are scared stiff of going to hospital at the best of times, never mind in a pandemic with no known vaccine. But if they refuse to go they may ultimately be hastening their death.  Fear of the hospital may be a big factor in the high number of deaths if there is no obligation for them to go . 
Why would there be available beds in hospitals and so many of the elderly care home residents dying without even getting there ? Surely the people running care homes would be pushing for the residents to get to hospital? 

As an aside,  it was Dominic Raab giving the governments update yesterday . I dont listen to these updates much as I get the information anyway. He was awful, as was the woman that was supporting him . She was getting her numbers mixed up, both were stuttering and stumbling over words. They would give me no confidence whatsoever. I would have thought he would be used to the updates by now. 

It's sick that we'll get 'lest we forget' rammed down our throats on Friday whilst simultaneously they try to obfuscate the scale of deaths in care homes.

#wheresboris was trending again yesterday - how that fella is still so popular after hiding in a fridge, hiding at Chequers during Cobra meetings, arguably overegging his corona (and at best caused by his own hubris) and now hiding when UK wins the Euros Corona deaths is testament to what a powerful tool the media really are.  If Laura Kuenssberg gets any further up his arse he's in danger of coughing up Nick Robinson.       

Why are these Tory rags obsessed with Sturgeon potentially following a different path slightly from England? It's not like the Westminster strategy so far has been a success, it's been an unmitigated disaster and I'd be wanting to deviate from their "strategy" as much as possible and follow leading European countries on this.

They are obsessed with her saying unlikely schools will go back. it's almost as if they don't realise Scottish schools have a different term time from England, pointless us going back for a fortnight.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-britain-elderly/

The country should be up in absolute ferment but instead they'll be singing Vera Lynn and taking afternoon tea on Friday after our part time prime minister graces us with his presence and an amateurish pastiche of a Churchill speech.

'Lest we forget' my arse!  

On 5/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Orraloon said:

Needs more proper clinical studies.

It could be that the type of medic who is prepared to self medicate a prophylactic are also the type of people who pay attention to detail and are extra careful when anywhere near a COVID-19 patient?

It does look promising though.

The Czech Republic authorized its use at the start of April. They also went full lockdown very early and made it obligatory to wear a face mask when outside your home. They currently have a death rate per million of population of 24. The UK is currently running at 433 and that figure is still rising every day. Mainland Europe was hit by this weeks before the UK as well...The UK rate surpassed France a while ago and is now steadily closing in on Italy's. (Nominally we surpassed them a day or two ago.) I predict by the end of it the UK will be one of if not the worst of all the major countries. We are reaping the consequences of effectively 40 years of Thatcherism. (Blair was just Thatcher-lite for a few years.) Welcome to Alan World... this is what it looks and feels like.

People should be going mental about it. That said the press are generally a disgrace. They are a real big part of the problem. But also most people are mugs it seems, lap all this shite up far too eagerly. The British are a very domesticated people now (and sadly the Scots are especially). Just take it all lying down.

IMHO the reason they have not mandated masks at least when in shops etc is obviously now because they don't have them. They had weeks and weeks long after the Czechs were all wearing masks to get their shit together but even now they are still an omni-shambles.

There is going to be no hiding from this when its over. The numbers are not going to lie. I would not be surprised if people started to get really angry when it finally sinks in. But probably not... because the BBC and MSM are effectively gaslighting 24/7.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-britain-elderly/

The country should be up in absolute ferment but instead they'll be singing Vera Lynn and taking afternoon tea on Friday after our part time prime minister graces us with his presence and an amateurish pastiche of a Churchill speech.

'Lest we forget' my arse!  

That beggars belief. I started copying and pasting sections to post by way of highlighting the worst decisions, but had to stop as i was effectively highlighting most of the article. 
If families try to sue for the loss of their loved one after this is over  there is going to be an almighty blame game between the government and care home owners. 

On the ‘blinkered’ aspect. I was speaking to a customer earlier about all the people still travelling in and out the UK and why they are not being quarantined given the rest of us are only  allowed out the house for a loaf of bread. We both agreed it was absurd , but the customer just said ‘ I am sure the government have it in hand’ . 

It really is that attitude that is getting them off the hook. Folk just shrug their shoulders . 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That beggars belief. I started copying and pasting sections to post by way of highlighting the worst decisions, but had to stop as i was effectively highlighting most of the article. 
If families try to sue for the loss of their loved one after this is over  there is going to be an almighty blame game between the government and care home owners. 

On the ‘blinkered’ aspect. I was speaking to a customer earlier about all the people still travelling in and out the UK and why they are not being quarantined given the rest of us are only  allowed out the house for a loaf of bread. We both agreed it was absurd , but the customer just said ‘ I am sure the government have it in hand’ . 

It really is that attitude that is getting them off the hook. Folk just shrug their shoulders . 

And perhaps offers the reason for the BJ Coronavirus charade. Sympathy vote and divert away criticism that they could see was coming.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

No wonder David King set up an independent scientist group given the blatantly obvious Tory tactic of laying the blame at their door by 'following the science's replacing 'get Brexit done' as their favourite trope.

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

Lockdowns work. For now. But the virus remains. Its not going anywhere. It will peak again. It will come back to Czech Rep, Italy, UK etc.

I agree mate. They are starting to lift sanctions here in Canada. Why???? The virus is still there and there is no cure. It has slowed because of social distancing. So what happens when folk start to come out, socialize, forget isolation? It will start again. It took one Canadian who flew in from China to infect an entire country so to speak. There are folk that have it and are not even aware. The government are playing with fire. There is barely enough health care , masks, gowns, alcohol cleaners to cope now, what will happen if a second wave hits. We are fucked. You cannot put a price on a human life... This is not going away anytime soon...

38 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I agree mate. They are starting to lift sanctions here in Canada. Why???? The virus is still there and there is no cure. It has slowed because of social distancing. So what happens when folk start to come out, socialize, forget isolation? It will start again. It took one Canadian who flew in from China to infect an entire country so to speak. There are folk that have it and are not even aware. The government are playing with fire. There is barely enough health care , masks, gowns, alcohol cleaners to cope now, what will happen if a second wave hits. We are fucked. You cannot put a price on a human life... This is not going away anytime soon...

What price the economy?

peoples futures etc

mass panic and hysteria 

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Lockdowns work. For now. But the virus remains. Its not going anywhere. It will peak again. It will come back to Czech Rep, Italy, UK etc.

Can't wait to hear your next nugget in a couple of weeks. 

Her view on mask wearing is interesting.

"“We don’t need a vaccine,” proclaimed Dr. Judy Mikovits, a controversial former chronic fatigue researcher who now frequently makes anti-vaccine claims, in an April 15 YouTube video with more than 80,000 views. “All you have to do is have a healthy immune system.” (Mikovits has also been involved in the “Fire Fauci” campaign, claiming he sabotaged her research into a purported mouse virus that she says is the true cause of cancer.)

These campaigners frequently reject the idea that there’s anything society can do, collectively, to slow the spread of any disease. In the same video, Mikovits rejected the notion of wearing a mask, since, she claimed, the coronavirus is actually secretly caused by a bad strain of flu shot that was circulating between 2013 and 2015. Masks will help “activate” the virus and reinfect a mask-wearer over and over, she claimed.

“Wearing a mask will kill more people than—this virus is not coughed through the air from healthy people, who are almost certainly immune, as they’ve almost certainly been infected over the last four or five years,” Mikovits said."

Started watching it.

First claim Dr Judy Mikovits has been called one of the most accomplished scientists of her generation. No real evidence of that I can find at all in fact she has a slew of retracted papers, an apparent history of non-transparency etc. Here's a partial retraction by the authors as no one was able to replicate the experiments https://science.sciencemag.org/content/334/6053/176.1

Full retraction by the publication: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/334/6063/1636.1

problems with integrity of the information:https://www.nature.com/news/2011/111005/full/news.2011.574.html#B3

Second claim her 1991 doctoral thesis revolutionised the treatment of HIV AIDS... it is a paper as far as i can see that talked about the affects of using certain proteins to stop the replication of the DNA of HIV, I think that's what is used today but the paper was testing the effects of it not introducing it as a novel idea. The paper is short here it is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2187891/pdf/je17151705.pdf

I can't understand the science behind the arguments but I can understand sophistry in the arguments and presentation so have to go on that.