Coronavirus - Page 108 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, phart said:

It's actually an abomination that some centenarian is having to hobble up and down his garden to try and raise funds for THE front line service during a pandemic while folk applaud him encouraging it.

Sitting thining about it makes you realise how fucked up it is.

Exactly.

We've been told for decades how the NHS is the best in the world (folk working in maybe) but it's been underfunded for years and the fact there's an auld man raising millions for it should be a national disgrace.

9 hours ago, slasher said:

Alan is worried about Sturgeon and Freeman when we've bonkers Boris and Bond villain Rees Mogg running affairs. 

Not quarantining incomers is a perfect example of the UK govs incompetence 🙄

I've occasionally found this with unionists, people usually solidly opposed to the concept of Scotland running its own affairs, sometimes to the point of taking offence at the idea; but then, in certain circumstances, they expect what is essentially a regional government to behave like a sovereign national government with all the relevant powers at its disposal.

22 minutes ago, phart said:

It's actually an abomination that some centenarian is having to hobble up and down his garden to try and raise funds for THE front line service during a pandemic while folk applaud him encouraging it.

Not so long ago a 100-year-old man "running" around his garden or Vietnamese schoolchildren donating their pocket money to raise funds for the NHS would be confined to pieces of dystopian satire.

Unfortunately, as we're starting to see, it's actually the consequence of a decade of a political choices to run public services on a shoestring.  And the Great British public effectively gave the green light for it.

1 minute ago, Terry Munro said:

People standing at their front doors singing happy birthday to the old fella last night....in Renfrewshire. 

I hate this country sometimes

Look out for the limited edition Captain Tom poppy going on sale in November (or August more likely)

I like the old codger, he seems proud of his achievements but i get and agree with what you are saying.

One of our neighbours has been questioning why im not outside clapping. I didnt respond, i didnt think it was worth telling them they were fucking hypocrites therefore turning our house into the one everyone hates 😂😂😂

the majority of people in this estate are tories, clapping like demented seals every thursday whilst championing the tories every election. Hypocrites, every single one of them.

Surgeon has came across well in this whole thing i don't think many outside the unionist bubble will argue that. I will say however there is a reoccurring political fault which she keeps repeating, it’s basically be way to honest and letting the media have a free hit. Why not just report the care home deaths like the other home nations? Morally correct but politically naive. If the media were not so biased it would be the correct thing to  do but scotland has a unique political set up which i do not think she grasps or doesn't care about? 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I like the old codger, he seems proud of his achievements but i get and agree with what you are saying.

One of our neighbours has been questioning why im not outside clapping. I didnt respond, i didnt think it was worth telling them they were fucking hypocrites therefore turning our house into the one everyone hates 😂😂😂

the majority of people in this estate are tories, clapping like demented seals every thursday whilst championing the tories every election. Hypocrites, every single one of them.

I like him too and he should be proud of himself, although he has no idea that he's being used as a puppet by the media, nor do those who are singing happy birthday to him either I suppose.

15 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Surgeon has came across well in this whole thing i don't think many outside the unionist bubble will argue that. I will say however there is a reoccurring political fault which she keeps repeating, it’s basically be way to honest and letting the media have a free hit. Why not just report the care home deaths like the other home nations? Morally correct but politically naive. If the media were not so biased it would be the correct thing to  do but scotland has a unique political set up which i do not think she grasps or doesn't care about? 

The public in the main appreciate her honesty.  I've read comments from people down south saying they tune into the Scottish daily briefing to hear a more assertive voice than they are getting out of Westminster. 

If there was an election tomorrow she would walk it.

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This isnae the time to keep quiet. Get them telt!

Thankfully, the clapping thing only happened once in Ireland. Otherwise i'd have fallen out with my (majority Tory-lite) neighbours :mellow:

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The public in the main appreciate her honesty.  I've read comments from people down south saying they tune into the Scottish daily briefing to hear a more assertive voice than they are getting out of Westminster. 

My mother who is dyed in the wool Tory was saying she really liked NIcola Sturgeon!  I don't know if the Scottish Government has got it right but think she comes across as compassionate and honest which is more than can be said for the spokesmen and women of the UK Government

27 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I couldn't disagree more.   I take her at her word when she says that politics couldn't be further from her mind that the moment and that she's no time for people making political points - I notice she's directed that at both "unionist" and "nationalist" journalists.

Let's be honest about this, what the Daily Express, Mail or certain other papers say doesn't really matter, the people that read those papers will never vote for either the SNP or for Independence in a million years.

The people that sit in the middle are the most important here, the No voters from 2014 who were more equivocal and who are open to persuasion.   

In behaving how she - and the rest of the SG - have been, then she's building up a lot of personal trust, credit in the bank if you like that will stand them in good stead in all that's still to come..   

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

This isnae the time to keep quiet. Get them telt!

Thankfully, the clapping thing only happened once in Ireland. Otherwise i'd have fallen out with my (majority Tory-lite) neighbours :mellow:

Just realised that the fact Ireland only clapped once gives me a good angle to wind the neighbours up...

"Howcome Ireland only clapped once, while we Brits do it every Thursday? You obviously don't care as much for your healthworkers as us spiffing Brits" :lol:

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

What I find interesting is that the UK media appear to be treating her as being the opposition to the UKG more than Keir Starmer.  It's weird the number of times you'll hear comments on "but Nicola Surgeon said".   You certainly never hear anything about Mark Drayford or Arlene Foster.

i think part of that is that circumstances have been difficult with the Labour leadership election coming in the middle of the pandemic meaning it's been difficult for Starmer to really get going but a lot of it is down to her own credibility and messaging. .

48 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

People standing at their front doors singing happy birthday to the old fella last night....in Renfrewshire. 

I hate this country sometimes

Look out for the limited edition Captain Tom poppy going on sale in November (or August more likely)

Aye, it's enough to give you the boak. Half of them probably voted Tory as well. Fukin bawbags.

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

Let's be honest about this, what the Daily Express, Mail or certain other papers say doesn't really matter, the people that read those papers will never vote for either the SNP or for Independence in a million years.

My parents read the Daily Mail (don't ask me why, I can't nderstand it myself), have done for years and both of them voted Yes in 2014 and have voted SNP since before that.

All 3 of their kids vote similarly, although none of us read the DM!

52 minutes ago, aaid said:

What I find interesting is that the UK media appear to be treating her as being the opposition to the UKG more than Keir Starmer.  It's weird the number of times you'll hear comments on "but Nicola Surgeon said".   You certainly never hear anything about Mark Drayford or Arlene Foster.

i think part of that is that circumstances have been difficult with the Labour leadership election coming in the middle of the pandemic meaning it's been difficult for Starmer to really get going but a lot of it is down to her own credibility and messaging. .

Starmer absolutely owned Raab at PMQ's on Wed.

Was good to see.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My parents read the Daily Mail (don't ask me why, I can't nderstand it myself), have done for years and both of them voted Yes in 2014 and have voted SNP since before that.

Actually my mother reads the Mail although I refuse to buy it for her - I won't be an enabler.   

She's one of those statistical anomalies though, a Tory who voted Yes - she's no time for the SNP though.

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Starmer absolutely owned Raab at PMQ's on Wed.

Was good to see.

True, although that's not really saying too much.  It'll be interesting to see how he does with Johnson if he ever turns up.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I'm wondering if the care homes deaths is reported on purpose as we're still less than 8% of the deaths.  The UK added c.4,000 for care home deaths when the ONS had the figure at c. 8,000 so they're fudging the numbers so the original hit didn't take them over 30,000.  

6 hours ago, phart said:

Celebrating a centurion doing laps to prop up the NHS and it being celebrated sums up where we are.  

The bit I find really disturbing is the amount of folk, particularly around 60, who criticise the younger generation for being pussies in comparison like they'd flown Spitfires or stormed Sword beach themselves rather than just being yuppy twats in the 80's.  

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Read it for about 20 years ignoring the political tripe. In my defence I never started work until early afternoon and there was plenty of reading in it to kill time. Still read football online and have a glance at the News, which is amusing.

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

You'll be in the Tower of London with talk like that! 

Get the bunting and BBQ ready for the VE Day bank holiday.  

No doubt they will wheel out auld Betty.

The media coverage next Friday will be a huge propaganda hijack. Same as Remembrance Day. Woe betide anyone who doesn't embrace the Great British Spirit pish we will be subjected to. VE and Remembrance Day should be a day for the rank and file veterans to remember their mates in quiet dignity. 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

As if to prove your point:

Scottish Parliament constituency ballot:

SNP 54% 
Conservatives 23% 
Labour 12%
Liberal Democrats 8% 
Greens 2%

Scottish Parliament regional list ballot:

SNP 45% 
Conservatives 23% 
Labour 12%
Greens 8% 
Liberal Democrats 7%

Scottish voting intentions for next UK general election:

SNP 51% 
Conservatives 25% 
Labour 15% 
Liberal Democrats 6% 
Greens 2%

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2020/05/unionist-journalists-learn-hard-way.html

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Actually my mother reads the Mail although I refuse to buy it for her - I won't be an enabler.   

She's one of those statistical anomalies though, a Tory who voted Yes - she's no time for the SNP though.

Its hardly surprising you are follicily challenged with all that stress  🙂

My husband reads it and I refuse to buy him it.
When my mum was in hospital I called to ask her if she needed a newspaper before I visited. She did, then she asked if I could get a paper for the old lady in the next bed. Of course it was the fookin Daily Mail she wanted wasnt it.
I could not refuse to get a paper for an old lady in hospital but I almost ended up  in there myself, my blood pressure was so high.