Coronavirus - Page 107 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

I donā€™t get how after the Panorama report and England quite obviously lying about the number of deaths in care homes this could be spun into an ā€˜SNP Badā€™ story when in comparison to the UK government.Ā  If Scotland had a stockpile of PPE that they agreed to share with England because their need was greater then got shafted on deals for the days subsequently surely that brings the ā€˜pooling and sharingā€™ of resources argument into focus that we supposedly benefit from.Ā 

Ā 

On the figures they added around 4,000 for care home deaths yesterday but ONS had that figure at double so we should have already breached 30,000.Ā  Given our death rate is lower than 8% on population split the SNP can easily say they have outperformed England then point to Ireland, Denmark, etc as examples of what could have been.Ā 

Ā 

I think there definitely needs review into care home deaths as aĀ  ratio of total numbers though both in the UK and Scotland.Ā  Thereā€™s two points to this for me: you can control who is coming in so there is a failing if the virus gets into the home and; why if there is so much spare capacity are old folk not getting access to hospitals?Ā 

My primary concern is Sturgeon and Freeman.Ā  They impact me and my family far more in this current situation.Ā Ā  Sturgeon is good behind a lectern.Ā  Freeman not so much.Ā  I'm confused how we have so many experts when we are in month 2 of something that will go into 2021 and limited people questioning our leaders in Scottish Government who made decisions in past and present.Ā  This is going to last a decade, corona, other ignored illnesses, economic impact.

54 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Ā 

On the figures they added around 4,000 for care home deaths yesterday but ONS had that figure at double so we should have already breached 30,000.Ā  Given our death rate is lower than 8% on population split the SNP can easily say they have outperformed England then point to Ireland, Denmark, etc as examples of what could have been.Ā 

Ā 

Based on current numbers I'm not sure that Ireland is going to end up much different from Scotland. A few weeks ago the Irish governmentĀ were being widely praised for going into lockdown very quickly and getting it under control. But if you look at the numbers the curve for deaths in Ireland is following almost exactly the same curve as Scotland, just a couple of days behind. It's difficult to know for sure though because it's hard to get a grasp on how different counties are doing the counting.Ā 

In Scotland we have two numbers to look at. The daily totals being reported for deaths in hospitals, and the numbers reported weekly by NRS. I'm not sure how the Irish numbers are counted.

Edited by Orraloon

46 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Ā 

I think there definitely needs review into care home deaths as aĀ  ratio of total numbers though both in the UK and Scotland.Ā  Thereā€™s two points to this for me: you can control who is coming in so there is a failing if the virus gets into the home and; why if there is so much spare capacity are old folk not getting access to hospitals?Ā 

Ā 

I've been asking the same question. I haven't had an answer yet. Two of the questions I would like to have answered are

1. What percentage of folk in care homes are on DNR notices?
  2. Does the presence of a DNR notice influence the decision about whether a personĀ with COVID-19 gets taken to hospital?

Ā 

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Based on current numbers I'm not sure that Ireland is going to end up much different from Scotland. A few weeks ago the Irish governmentĀ were being widely praised for going into lockdown very quickly and getting it under control. But if you look at the numbers the curve for deaths in Ireland is following almost exactly the same curve as Scotland, just a couple of days behind. It's difficult to know for sure though because it's hard to get a grasp on how different are doing the counting.Ā 

In Scotland we have two numbers to look at. The daily totals being reported for deaths in hospitals, and the numbers reported weekly by NRS. I'm not sure how the Irish numbers are counted.

Cheers for that - hadn't appreciated they'd started to track us.Ā  They're sitting at 1k at the minute so will be interesting to see where they end up too.Ā 

I think we're counting the NRS figures basically because in comparison to England they'll be better. Ā 

There defo needs to be a review of what's going on in care homes and there'll be serious questions to answer if cancer deaths spike.Ā  However, from UK perspective this isn't something that can be purely queries in Scotland but across the entirety. Ā 

With the subtle re-wording of the five key tests, next review being 7th May, I am going with Boris announcing loosening of restrictions for VE day with his best Churchill tribute act to date.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I've been asking the same question. I haven't had an answer yet. Two of the questions I would like to have answered are

1. What percentage of folk in care homes are on DNR notices?
  2. Does the presence of a DNR notice influence the decision about whether a personĀ with COVID-19 gets taken to hospital?

Ā 

Agree totally - it sounds crass but can understand the policy if the hospitals are out the door.Ā  However, if there is spare capacity for corona, and there seems to be loads, plus spare capacity to deal with cancer patients somebody needs an arse kicking the other side of this.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

My primary concern is Sturgeon and Freeman.Ā  They impact me and my family far more in this current situation.Ā Ā  Sturgeon is good behind a lectern.Ā  Freeman not so much.Ā  I'm confused how we have so many experts when we are in month 2 of something that will go into 2021 and limited people questioning our leaders in Scottish Government who made decisions in past and present.Ā  This is going to last a decade, corona, other ignored illnesses, economic impact.

Why are your primary concerns (going by the content of your post) who is good behind a lectern and why are you confused about the number of experts in one hand then in the other give us a timetable about how long it is going to last.. Every decision is made in either the past or the present are we just to guess what ones you're talking about?

It's just gibberish.

7 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Are you saying the criticism aimed at the Tory Gov. on the last few pages are not justified (you didn't say)? Reading the last few pages I don't see any support for the SG (I've said they could do better). I have had a go at Hancock (Justifiably) IMO for being a patronising bull shitter. Maybe it's his demeanour, his tone of voice or the constant we are in this together rhetoric or all of the above that earns him the justified criticism. The guy was and will be a grade 1 bell end before, during and probably after this crisis is over. Again I will say the SG can and should do better but the support I will give NS (I'm not her biggest supporter) is that she seems to be more upfront, admits faults have been made and has taken the lead ahead of Hancock and the Tory's when it comes to what may happen when the lock down is eased. BJ and his chums have made a cunt of this from the start and should be held to account and to be fair there should also be an open investigation in to all the devolved governments on what and should of been done better.

Bang on the money.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Please explain the bit in bold and what would you want them to do differently to lessen the impact on your family?

36 minutes ago, phart said:

Why are your primary concerns (going by the content of your post) who is good behind a lectern and why are you confused about the number of experts in one hand then in the other give us a timetable about how long it is going to last.. Every decision is made in either the past or the present are we just to guess what ones you're talking about?

It's just gibberish.

He won't reply. I'm still waiting for a reply from a post I made this morning.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Based on current numbers I'm not sure that Ireland is going to end up much different from Scotland. A few weeks ago the Irish governmentĀ were being widely praised for going into lockdown very quickly and getting it under control. But if you look at the numbers the curve for deaths in Ireland is following almost exactly the same curve as Scotland, just a couple of days behind. It's difficult to know for sure though because it's hard to get a grasp on how different counties are doing the counting.Ā 

I've been following the Irish and Scottish responses and numbers quite closely, and you're right about the different methods of counting.

The Scottish figures only take into account deaths with a positive test. Irish figures include positive tests plus suspected cases. The Irish added these in on the 24th of April, which explains the massive spike here:Ā https://studylib.net/coronavirus#country-ie

When Scottish deaths are counted in the same way Ireland does (i.e. including suspected cases), then Scotland's death toll is around double that of Ireland.

Ā 

Sources for this info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52009463

"The figures show thatĀ 1,475Ā patients in Scotland have died after a positive test for Covid-19, although the actual number of deaths is known to be far higher.

Weekly data published by the National Records of Scotland (NRS) shows that up until 26 April there wereĀ 2,272Ā deaths registered in Scotland where the virus was mentioned on the death certificate."

Ā 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0424/1134671-covid-irish-toll/

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre says aĀ probable death is a death where a lab test has not been done but where a doctor believes a death is associated with current Covid-19."

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

I've been following the Irish and Scottish responses and numbers quite closely, and you're right about the different methods of counting.

The Scottish figures only take into account deaths with a positive test. Irish figures include positive tests plus suspected cases. The Irish added these in on the 24th of April, which explains the massive spike here:Ā https://studylib.net/coronavirus#country-ie

When Scottish deaths are counted in the same way Ireland does (i.e. including suspected cases), then Scotland's death toll is around double that of Ireland.

Ā 

Sources for this info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52009463

"The figures show thatĀ 1,475Ā patients in Scotland have died after a positive test for Covid-19, although the actual number of deaths is known to be far higher.

Weekly data published by the National Records of Scotland (NRS) shows that up until 26 April there wereĀ 2,272Ā deaths registered in Scotland where the virus was mentioned on the death certificate."

Ā 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0424/1134671-covid-irish-toll/

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre says aĀ probable death is a death where a lab test has not been done but where a doctor believes a death is associated with current Covid-19."

Aye different definitions will give different numbers. And a lot also depends on the judgement of different doctors deciding whether a case is "probably associated with" COVID-19 and in Scotland it will depend on whether a doctor decides to put COVID-19 as a possible cause of death or contributory to the cause of death.

It's hard to make comparisons with the information that is currently available to the public.

140k sent birthday cards to Tom. 140k actually thought they wanted to send him a birthday card. Incredible, nation of faux loving cunts.Ā 
Ā 

When he pops off thousands willĀ post how Ā utterly heartbroken they on on Facebook.Ā 

Alan isn't worried, he doesn't have the depth to be worried by something.

He used to throw fireworks, then run away when asked questions, now he throws sparklers, but still runs away.

He probably wants more Scots to die to even the numbers up. If we were worse than England, he would be chugging himself to oblivion, all over pictures of the Queen and Boris, then wiping it clean and starting again.

8 hours ago, macy37 said:

140k sent birthday cards to Tom. 140k actually thought they wanted to send him a birthday card. Incredible, nation of faux loving cunts.Ā 
Ā 

When he pops off thousands willĀ post how Ā utterly heartbroken they on on Facebook.Ā 

Poor auld guy will be chip paper from today, he's served his purpose.Ā 

10 hours ago, macy37 said:

Ā 

I'm sick of the sight on him on TV!

It's actually an abomination that some centenarian is having to hobble up and down his garden to try and raise funds for THE front line service during a pandemic while folk applaud him encouraging it.

Sitting thining about it makes you realise how fucked up it is.