Coronavirus - Page 88 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

We had to take our daughter to a&e yesterday, was quite a surreal experience, I was allowed to be with her for the initial blood pressure and temperature being taken at the front door, but she had to go through to reception herself and we were waiting in the car for her. 

Seen 3 people walk in for about the 4 hours we were in the car park and 2 of them were sent away again. 

I had to take my daughter to a&e as well on Wednesday night with a suspected broken arm. Inflicted by myself when I was playing with the kids 🙈.

Main door all cordoned off and you had to phone the reception then were talked to by someone at distance. All people going in had to wear masks, gloves and aprons. Then had to walk round the building and come in a fire door to waiting room. We were the only ones there! As she is only just 4 I was with her.

Thankfully wasn't broken. Was a something elbow that pushed itself back into place 

Edited by iainmac1

From The Times

Young people who are not living with their parents could be allowed to travel freely before the rest of the population, under Covid-19 plans being discussed in Whitehall.

Officials are studying a report from the economics and behavioural science department at Warwick University which said that about four million people between the ages of 20 and 30 should resume a semi-normal life as part of the first stage in easing the lockdown. The paper, to which the former cabinet secretary Lord O’Donnell contributed, argued that this group was least at risk from the virus and was financially the hardest hit.

The author of the report, Andrew Oswald, said: “So far we have quite rightly followed the epidemiological evidence. But eventually we have to lift our heads up. We can’t sit in our houses until Christmas.”

The development comes as a think tank warned that younger workers would pay the highest price in reduced living standards from the crisis.

The Resolution Foundation said there was increasing evidence that younger people had been more likely to lose their jobs than older workers and those leaving education and looking for jobs would also be hit hard.

“With over a million under-25s entering the labour market for the first time each year . . . today’s young education leavers will pay a high price from the necessary public health measures being taken,” Torsten Bell, the organisation’s chief executive, said.

Ministers are grappling with how to ease restrictions amid warnings that any reduction in the lockdown is likely to lead to more cases.

A confidential European Union paper on plans to reduce restrictions warned starkly that “any level of [gradual] relaxation of the confinement will inevitably lead to a corresponding increase in new cases”.

However, with a vaccine most likely to be a year away there is growing pressure on ministers to publish a plan to gradually return life to normal while minimising the number of people who will get seriously ill.

A unit has been set up in Downing Street and the Cabinet Office to look at options and advise the cabinet alongside the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies.

Professor Oswald’s analysis points to estimates showing that the fatality rate for Covid-19 in the 20-30 age group is 0.03 per cent, and the critical-care rate 0.06 per cent.

It says such a release would not therefore be “costless in human suffering” but adds: “There would be tragic cases; [but] in the current situation there is no riskless way forward.”

The analysis says the effects of releasing this group from lockdown “would be far, far smaller than those from any general release of the population”.

Professor Oswald said that he had researched the paper — aimed at senior policy makers in Whitehall — because “we do need ideas” on how to eventually end the lockdown.

He added that 20 to 30-year-olds represented a fifth of the economy and said such moves could allow the limited reopening of bars and restaurants — but only if those people were in the right age category.

Professor Oswald said that the plan would also be clearly explained to the public and could allow a semblance of normal life to begin again while minimising health risks.

• The government said it would not block furloughed employees from taking on additional work during the coronavirus crisis. The move is designed to boost the economy and help badly hit sectors such as care providers and farmers, who face difficulty with the coming harvest.

Universal credit applications in the UK surged to ten times their normal level in the two weeks leading up to April 1, but millions of people are also about to be furloughed, with their jobs placed on hold and 80 per cent of their salaries being paid under a government scheme.

55 minutes ago, exile said:

This is the key bit for me. 

"And it’s about making sure that we have a really strong NHS there to support us when we do get sick.”

The problem is that we just don't have a strong enough NHS. And we all know that is the fault of successive governments under investing in it. If the NHS had been in a position to deal with all the patients that they are going to get, I don't think we would have had a lockdown. They would just have accepted whatever death rate we ended up getting, in order to keep the economy going.

They were quite happy to pump huge amounts of money into the financial system. They are now starting to see the true cost of not investing properly in the NHS.

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

I had to take my daughter to a&e as well on Wednesday night with a suspected broken arm. Inflicted by myself when I was playing with the kids 🙈.

Main door all cordoned off and you had to phone the reception then were talked to by someone at distance. All people going in had to wear masks, gloves and aprons. Then had to walk round the building and come in a fire door to waiting room. We were the only ones there! As she is only just 4 I was with her.

Thankfully wasn't broken. Was a something elbow that pushed itself back into place 

You’ll have been popular round your place then 🙈

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

He added that 20 to 30-year-olds represented a fifth of the economy and said such moves could allow the limited reopening of bars and restaurants — but only if those people were in the right age category.

Will be hard to action this, if you live with your parents your not going out but your pals are. I cannot see too many 20 somethings sitting at home with Mummy and Daddy. Can see a rush on fake ID cards for 30 somethings whilst us older drinkers remain grounded.

953 UK deaths with Coronavirus in last 24 hours

Mass Burials in New York

Yet throbbers like Peter Hitchens and Fraser Nelson are doubling down on anti lockdown

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

953 UK deaths with Coronavirus in last 24 hours

Mass Burials in New York

Yet throbbers like Peter Hitchens and Fraser Nelson are doubling down on anti lockdown

I can understand where they are coming from. For people who don't really care how many people will die, there is some logic in not having a lockdown.

26 minutes ago, slasher said:

How come when Italy hit 900 odd deaths it was a national disaster. Now that stat is here but never mind Boris is in good spirits 🙅‍♂️

I don't get it at all 🙄

They are also massaging the figures by not including those that are dying in care facilities or at home

Boris's health is basically the squirrel

9 minutes ago, Redz said:

I read he was already in hospital for an infection. 

Has the virus with no symptoms ?

Correct. Saying he’s “in hospital with Coronavirus “ is plainly misleading albeit I suppose technically correct since he is in hospital and he does have Coronavirus. But the inference is one which leads people down the wrong path I’m afraid.

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

This is the key bit for me. 

"And it’s about making sure that we have a really strong NHS there to support us when we do get sick.”

The problem is that we just don't have a strong enough NHS. And we all know that is the fault of successive governments under investing in it. If the NHS had been in a position to deal with all the patients that they are going to get, I don't think we would have had a lockdown. They would just have accepted whatever death rate we ended up getting, in order to keep the economy going.

They were quite happy to pump huge amounts of money into the financial system. They are now starting to see the true cost of not investing properly in the NHS.

The NHS or any other health care system can never be ready to have the rate of admissions that a full blow covid epidemic would bring. Even if it did we would have thousands of empty beds, ventilators and sitting for years unused. It's just not practical

7 minutes ago, Mee said:

The NHS or any other health care system can never be ready to have the rate of admissions that a full blow covid epidemic would bring. Even if it did we would have thousands of empty beds, ventilators and sitting for years unused. It's just not practical

Whilst the NHS would still have been struggling I fear that politicians are too short term. The Cygnus report still hasn't been published after four years,  I wonder why the Tories suppressed that?  Similarly do none of these politicians take history seriously, we've just marked 100 years since the outbreak of Spanish Flu and I'm sure I wasn't the only one at the time wondering how well prepared we would be for the next big epi/pandemic.  We had a scare with Swine Flu and nothing seems to have been learnt.

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Correct. Saying he’s “in hospital with Coronavirus “ is plainly misleading albeit I suppose technically correct since he is in hospital and he does have Coronavirus. But the inference is one which leads people down the wrong path I’m afraid.

think thats also catching at the moment

52 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

What is the long term lockdown strategy UK wise?

Not sure there really is one at the moment obviously apart from finding a vaccine

I guess they are hoping for some test that will determine those that have had the virus and have antibodies meaning they can go back to work and/or not bother with the social distancing guidelines

They think it is unlikely yet they are not sure that you cannot get it again once you have had it afaik

Then you have to consider the virus mutating and different strains - this might be why some people are fine and some people are dying

I think we might be fucked

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Whilst the NHS would still have been struggling I fear that politicians are too short term. The Cygnus report still hasn't been published after four years,  I wonder why the Tories suppressed that?  Similarly do none of these politicians take history seriously, we've just marked 100 years since the outbreak of Spanish Flu and I'm sure I wasn't the only one at the time wondering how well prepared we would be for the next big epi/pandemic.  We had a scare with Swine Flu and nothing seems to have been learnt.

Austerity won the day

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/03/30/cygn-m30.html

The Tories were also responsible for the Mad Cow disease epidemic 30 years ago that will probably still have implications for us

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/its-23-years-scandal-mad-17792783

Edited by Ally Bongo

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not sure there really is one at the moment obviously apart from finding a vaccine

I guess they are hoping for some test that will determine those that have had the virus and have antibodies meaning they can go back to work and/or not bother with the social distancing guidelines

They think it is unlikely yet they are not sure that you cannot get it again once you have had it afaik

Then you have to consider the virus mutating and different strains - this might be why some people are fine and some people are dying

I think we might be fucked

Mmmm.

Edited by Eisegerwind

4 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I get the keep the numbers down so we don't overload the medical facilities., but at some point we're gonna have to head into the bright blue yonder. Seen a sort of young ones first strategy'

They will probably continue to "manage" the death rate - which many have suggested is what is happening now - but yes

Here is the Korea story

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/10/south-korea-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive/