Coronavirus - Page 80 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

If you have a press conference and stand by someone, who then a few hours later stands down, your judgement looks poor.

Fair enough I suppose. The media were never going to let thisĀ lie so maybe she should have called it so šŸ‘

I still think sheā€™s performing tremendously well under enormous pressureĀ 

Edited by slasher

4 hours ago, exile said:

Can't understand how someone could be so naive. it's like - you've got one job - to persuade people to stay home because we're all in it together. Then you do that.

OK I know her role is more than that, but the key public part of it is the messaging. Maybe she was careful and did no damage physically and would have attracted little attention if she hadn't been CMO. But she is CMO, at the height of her game, in what could've been her finest hour...

It's turning into a bit of a witch hunt (while Charlie and Lizzie get off without a caution) but she must have known that the media are itching to damage the first minister and Scottish Govt.

Possibly not - she's a doctor, after all, not a politician.Ā  A doctor, even a high profile one, wouldn't normally expect to be followed by paparazzi (I don't buy that the pictures were taken by a neighbour).

She did something stupid and I was a bit pissed off when I found out too but there's a lot more to worry about at the moment than one woman's hypocrisy.Ā  A hypocrite she may be but she was a health expert, and we need experts right now.Ā  Instead she's resigned from her job and the gutter press have a scalp under their belts. Good for them.

If we're talking just about politics, then I think Calderwood was probably toast from the moment the expose was published, and the time it would take before she went was only going to damage the authority and judgement of the FM (I would say the same if the whole thing was UK level). In terms of whether or not it was right decision from a public health point of view, probably academic, as the public acceptance is part of the job, so part of the story. Probably best outcome to move on and focus on combatting the virus.

Ā 

Ā 

On another front, are the media yet questioning the hypocrisy of the Queen, who (I hear) urges us to stay safe and pull together, while her own son escapes to Scotland.

Talking of which, if Birkhall is his home, does that mean he pays tax in Scotland?

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Probably the right decision but only because our scumbag media would have hounded her relentlessly. A shame but thereā€™s no accounting for stupidity even from clever folk.

She had to go but a real shame the slavering cunts that are the British media aren't hounding Charlie boy for doing exactly the same. I absolutely despised the Royal family preCovid but that wankers actions has intensified my loathing of them. They can go and fuck themselves, every man jack of them.Ā 

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

Fitba players are grossly overpaid, but they all pay as PAYE so cant screw the system.

How about getting corporations to pay their correct taxes, or getting pricks using shell companies to pay their fair share, or stopping MPs using tax avoidance schemes, or people like Lorraine Kelly using a loophole, or tell the Queen to pay her tax.

The cunts in the cabinet are screwing everyone, and they are allowed to. The fitba players are doing things correctly, and getting a hammering, cmon tae fuck now. I say this as someone who thinks players should take a paycut.

EBT's ?Ā  Ā That was the one disqualified, but no doubt they are using other loopholes - Not so long ago Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo all up in court for tax evasionĀ Ā 

20 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

EBT's ?Ā  Ā That was the one disqualified, but no doubt they are using other loopholes - Not so long ago Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo all up in court for tax evasionĀ Ā 

Has Spain annexed us now?

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

I'd love to know what the NHS volunteer force of 600,000 are doing. Seems to have gone quite.Ā 

I don't know anything about England, but in Scotland they aren't doing very much yet. No need so far. The first thing that will happen is training. But they are concentrating most of thatĀ effort in refresher training and specific infection training for NHS folk who have come back out of retirement, and current staff who have been redeployed into different jobs. They are the most important people to get back up to speed. The level of jobs the volunteers are asked to do will depend on how bad the epidemic gets.

Ā 

Ā 

37 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

I'm happy to stay twoĀ metres away from a Tiger if I pass one on the street

No doubt you keep a good distance from passing Bears as well.... šŸ˜‰Ā 

15 hours ago, kumnio said:

Fitba players are grossly overpaid, but they all pay as PAYE so cant screw the system.

How about getting corporations to pay their correct taxes, or getting pricks using shell companies to pay their fair share, or stopping MPs using tax avoidance schemes, or people like Lorraine Kelly using a loophole, or tell the Queen to pay her tax.

The cunts in the cabinet are screwing everyone, and they are allowed to. The fitba players are doing things correctly, and getting a hammering, cmon tae fuck now. I say this as someone who thinks players should take a paycut.

https://smithandwilliamson.com/en/insights/what-footballers-need-to-know-about-image-rights-deals/

From the above it looks like you can still get away with 'Image Rights' at 19% so long as it is for your retirement and don't touch it before hanging the boots up. Ā 

In fairness to the players they are in a bit of aĀ  shit-storm but they could have managed it a lot better.Ā  They can't sook on the media teet that funds them and then start kicking off when it has nothing else to report bar the apparent lack of them wanting to take a pay cut.Ā  The other thing is they are literally representing the community they play for - now I'm not daft enough to think a number of players give two sh!ts about who they're playing for but it isn't like a normal job and whether they like it or not they are representing the folk who watch them. Ā 

The problem now though is some players look like they're potentially going to need to keep their clubs afloat rather than giving it away to charity.Ā  If 20-25% of revenue is going to be lost, and they're the biggest liability on the balance sheet, then there willĀ  be pressure from a purely business sense for them to drop their wages - Bournemouth and Burnley could be on their arse because they've budgeted againstĀ  that revenue without a sugar daddy to bail them out. Ā 

However, thought this was interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/26/biggest-taxpayers-bet365-founder-denise-coates-tops-list-uk-dyson

Ā 

Stoke owners pay c.Ā£275m tax into the pot personally and about twice as much as second place (JD Sports owner) with Dyson third at Ā£100m.Ā  Stoke are paying everyone through the first 5 months of this and so are Bet365 without furloughing too.Ā  The more interesting bit for me though is if 30% of PL wages = Ā£200m tax then the full amount must be comparable/ more than the 3 biggest contributors in UK. Ā 

I agree totally that there are others who are taking the piss more than footballers.Ā  It's overly simplistic but how is the Duke of Westminster worth Ā£4bn more than Coates but paid just 20% of the tax? Ā 

The high profile of footballers though mean they are under more scrutiny, potentially unfairly, but they can't get around that they are directly representing communities and should have had a better response to this than been seen so far.Ā  Imagine if they'd said they would take a pay cut of 30% pay cut but so long as the NHS was paid 45% as per tax and then put a structure in place where they could get some of the 55% back anyway when things kicked off again - they'd be legends without doing very much at all. Ā  Ā  Ā 

Ā  Ā