Coronavirus - Page 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Who are targeting them?

Government ?Ā 

was asking since you responded "probably" to RedzĀ 

Ā Ā 14 hours ago,Ā RedzĀ said:

Apologies if already asked - Individual pension pots and savings at risk in order to pay for this at some stage ?

Ā 

My wife's aunt is in hospital in Birmingham. She is 95 and up until three weeks ago she was still living at home on her own and pretty independent. However she started to develop aĀ  cough, most likely caught from one of the support team that visited her a couple of times a week. She is now diagnosed with the virus. Will have to see how she gets.She is not on a ventilator but we are not getting much info from the hospital.

Since this virus arrived in Scotland I didn't know or heard of anyone I knew that had any symptoms. In the past week it has become more real for me. My close friend has had symptoms, on the mend. I spoke to a girl I used to work with, different service same organisation and she told me that her and four of her staff team (I know them all) all have symptoms. She also said she was feeling better and hoped to return to work soon (key worker) but this depended on if her grandparents survived. Her grandparents are both in hospital with symptoms and are in a bad way. Hope they all recover soon.

5 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Government ?Ā 

was asking since you responded "probably" to RedzĀ 

Ā Ā 14 hours ago,Ā RedzĀ said:

Apologies if already asked - Individual pension pots and savings at risk in order to pay for this at some stage ?

Ā 

Not yet as far as know. So far they are just spending money that didn't exist a few months ago. I think they are too busy to make any plans about how to pay for it yet. I don't thinkĀ pension pots will be top of their list for taxation purposes but most folk will be paying for it one way or another. Inflation might be big problem?

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

On the pensions theme I think 40% tax relief for higher earners will be scrapped. They have been waiting for the moment to do this and this will be the perfect opportunity.Ā 

Will be a brave Tory government that scraps that. Mail and Express readers will goĀ apoplectic. The Mail will no doubt go on a one newspaper crusade to save middle class homes from this abominable idea.Ā Ā 

Frederick Forsyth has now joined the "Government is overeacting and it's not that bad" camp

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/frederick-forsyth/1264336/coronavirus-latest-UK-death-toll-boris-johnson

15 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Those cunts will make sure they get the best treatment. Meanwhile my family are preparing to potentially say goodbye to my father in law who in all likelihood has the virus. Can't get up to see him and his condition is getting worse. Wife and son are in bits, my son was very close to his papa. Surreal this crisis has touched my front door. Hardest bit is that he may die all on his own. HorribleĀ 

Terrible.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Not yet as far as know. So far they are just spending money that didn't exist a few months ago. I think they are too busy to make any plans about how to pay for it yet. I don't thinkĀ pension pots will be top of their list for taxation purposes but most folk will be paying for it one way or another. Inflation might be big problem?

Isn't it obvious how all this will be paid for? They'll print the money. Every government in the world will print money. Pension pots won't be touched. The value of what's in those pots will be fucked. But since it's liable to be a global devaluation, there's a chance that the fuckedness might be only relative to today. The global currency system has long been an agreed fiction, ever since the gold standard was done away with, and agreed fictions can survive most anything, so long as people continue to agree.

4 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Isn't it obvious how all this will be paid for? They'll print the money. Every government in the world will print money. Pension pots won't be touched. The value of what's in those pots will be fucked. But since it's liable to be a global devaluation, there's a chance that the fuckedness might be only relative to today. The global currency system has long been an agreed fiction, ever since the gold standard was done away with, and agreed fictions can survive most anything, so long as people continue to agree.

This what I expect to happen. This is a global issue which is rare , there should be some sort of equilibrium from the QE . Ā Ā 

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Fair comment

After asking the question yesterday I went and checked my DC pots, which in total are down 1% from January

The above will not be an exact science and, I doubt will be the end of it however, perhaps offers some hope for pensions in the main

I took my FS scheme (16yrs employed) last month on the back of my dad passing in Aug - We decided to spend some of what we'd saved before it was too late.Ā 

Hopefully that was the right decision....

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Not to me it isn't.Ā 

We quantitatively eased our way out of the last financial crisis. The UK is rapidly heading towards Ā£3,000,000,000,000 of debt. I would have thought that inflation would kick in big style at some point. I don't understand why it hasn't already. It's like economics doesn't work like it used to. This new financial system just doesn't make sense to me.

Ā 

11 hours ago, EddardStark said:

On the pensions theme I think 40% tax relief for higher earners will be scrapped. They have been waiting for the moment to do this and this will be the perfect opportunity.Ā 

In US no one can pay more than $19,500 into pension (Company is 9% on top)

Ā 

Sadly my wife's aunt died today from Corona Virus. She was a lovely lady. She was very matter of fact and told us a story of how sheĀ  was bombed out in the war but they still had breakfast in the morning in the back yard because her mum was a stickler for routine. šŸ˜…šŸ˜…. She had some stories to tell. I visited her every month and loved her wit and humour. Ā 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Going to attempt to clipper my own napper this weekend.

Bought this earlier in the week

Problem which i never noticed is that it's scheduled to be delivered May 18th

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Clipper-iXpro-Rechargeable-100-240V/dp/B07F8SF9DP/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=iXpro&qid=1585954701&s=drugstore&search-type=ss&sr=1-10

The numbers we were given today for Ontario (only) for an 18 month to 2 year coronavirus pandemic:

If nothing was done... 100,000 deaths

If folk adhere to guidelines... 3,000 to 15,000 deathsĀ 

Current death count for Canada... 178

:(

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

The numbers we were given today for Ontario (only) for an 18 month to 2 year coronavirus pandemic:

If nothing was done... 100,000 deaths

If folk adhere to guidelines... 3,000 to 15,000 deathsĀ 

Current death count for Canada... 178

:(

Netflix for 18mths ?

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change