Coronavirus - Page 74 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What over-the-counter drugs would be good to have in your medicine cabinet right now? I read that ibuprofen is a bad idea with this particular virus so what would be a good alternative? Anyone got any views? (I fully understand I should check with my doctor first etc etc.) 

I have bought some sudafed type products (just in case) but feck knows if they are that advisable. Anything else out there that might prove useful should the flu hit the fan?

I can't think of anything other than what you would normally have.

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What over-the-counter drugs would be good to have in your medicine cabinet right now? I read that ibuprofen is a bad idea with this particular virus so what would be a good alternative? Anyone got any views? (I fully understand I should check with my doctor first etc etc.) 

I have bought some sudafed type products (just in case) but feck knows if they are that advisable. Anything else out there that might prove useful should the flu hit the fan?

I was sent home from work 2 weeks ago just as all this was kicking off as I had cold symptoms and they didnt want to take any chances, I have been working from home since.. I bought Sudafed in Superdrug on my way home. 

It did exactly as it says, cleared my blocked nose for a couple of hours, but i did experience most of the side effects on the key facts list below. I had palpitations and my body was having waves of heat and I felt really dehydrated. They were ok for my mild symptoms but dont think they would be much good for the flu. 
I think paracetamol and vicks are good, pretty basic i know but i  think vicks is particularly good at night when it is hard to breathe if you have a cold . Some people say to rub it into your feet and put socks on. Apparently the vicks works its way up through your body. Might be pish, I have never tried it.,

7EC7509C-D339-45B0-9D5E-4345DF829BD5.thumb.png.8c0c1cc1a11c3fd6788b2b54585c836b.png

On 3/18/2020 at 4:49 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I'm assuming the stats above were from yesterday teatime

As it's now 2626 "known" cases and 104 deaths

Majority of deaths are in London area as Where's the Pies suggested

Now 2921 deaths from 104 in 15 days

Yeah it is restricted in chemists because that particular ingredient has an amphetamine characteristic and was being hoovered up by people who were using it as an ingredient in the manufacture of crystal meth!

Interestingly Donald Trump was inadvertently photographed at his desk in Trump Towers (eating a Taco Bowl, look it up) with a drawer half open in the back ground and it was stuffed full of packs of (European apparently) Sudafed pills. He does not drink or do drugs... just a shit load of sudafed. lol.  

22 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Apparently there's some evidence that azithromycin might bring some benefits...which coincidentally is the antibiotic I'm on permanently & I have a cupboard full of the stuff. If it starts to be proven useful, I might feel an eBay store coming on 💊💊

14 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Apparently there's some evidence that azithromycin might bring some benefits...which coincidentally is the antibiotic I'm on permanently & I have a cupboard full of the stuff. If it starts to be proven useful, I might feel an eBay store coming on 💊💊

Antibiotics won't have any effect on the virus itself. They are only effective against bacterial infections. But it might help prevent getting a secondary bacterial infection due to the virus weakening the immune system.

46 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If all else fails you could get in touch with this guy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/01/south-london-faith-healer-promises-followers-covid-19-protection/

23 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

You might be onto something. There have been a few reports in the last year or two that a certain type of dog medicine (yep) that when taken by humans (yep) puts cancers into remission. It caused a bit of a run on that product.

Sometimes a drug intended for one purpose unexpectedly proves very effective dealing with another problem. Similar stories are circulating about an anti malarial (i think it was) drug that when used to treat the symptoms of covid19 is very effective. (Prescription only I think.)

But anyway anything worth a fuck I can get at boots without a prescription?

Edited by thplinth

Personally, I never take ibuprofen for colds. I've never had the flu, that I know of anyway. I tend to use ibuprofen for damaged muscle pain or sprains and strains, stuff like that. They are painkillers and anti inflammatory. I'll use paracetamol for a sore head or for the cold sometimes. Paracetamol helps to reduce the body temp so can give some relief from a fever. But a raised body temp is part of the body's defence mechanism against viruses. On the other hand a high body temp can in itself be bad for you. Swings and roundabouts. I'm not a doctor so don't take this as personal advice. Your own GP will know if you have other conditions for which it is advised not to take ibuprofen.

I'd be cautious about anti malarial drugs at the moment

I remember reading about the wee lassie from Liverpool that developed the mad cow disease

She deteriorated rapidly and they flew her to the USA where it seemed Quinacrine was halting her demise and even improving her faculties 

The problem was it was absolutely burning her liver to fuck

As soon as they stopped giving her the medicine she died within days

Completely different illnesses and possibly a different malarial drug but still ...

Edited by Ally Bongo

52 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Yeah it is restricted in chemists because that particular ingredient has an amphetamine characteristic and was being hoovered up by people who were using it as an ingredient in the manufacture of crystal meth!

Interestingly Donald Trump was inadvertently photographed at his desk in Trump Towers (eating a Taco Bowl, look it up) with a drawer half open in the back ground and it was stuffed full of packs of (European apparently) Sudafed pills. He does not drink or do drugs... just a shit load of sudafed. lol.  

😂 that might explain his strange colour. 

29 minutes ago, thplinth said:

But anyway anything worth a fuck I can get at boots without a prescription?

I picked sudafed up off a shelf in Superdrug . I always feel anything that doesn't have the medicine  polis guarding it cant be too potent . So scour the shelves that are behind the staff at the chemist bit in Boots as they are likely to be stronger. 
If you do get a cold/flu and do use Sudafed try and get the stuff you take at night as well as during the day as it can help you sleep. 

50 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Antibiotics won't have any effect on the virus itself. They are only effective against bacterial infections. But it might help prevent getting a secondary bacterial infection due to the virus weakening the immune system.

Yes that’s basically correct from what I’ve read. In seriousness, I know from researchers I’m in contact with that they are not willing to say anything with any certainty but there is some optimism that it’s a useful tool once you have contracted it. 

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/antibiotics-kill-coronavirus-3534867/

Just looked... 

It is now just over a million cases and over 50,000 deaths. It is really starting to kick on now.

Cant be that far away from 100,000 new cases per day now.

You know it is bad when it is one million cases total but 65,000+ new cases in the last 19 hours (with 5 hours in the day to go so probably closer to 75-80k)

Edited by thplinth

13 minutes ago, Rohan said:

I bet the figures are really 10 fold to what they are producing

The CMO for Scotland regularly says that her working assumption is that every death translates to around a 1000 people infected - the vast majority of who either have no symptoms at all or only very mild ones.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Amazing how well Boris spoke yesterday, and Charlie. Not even the slightest cough. 
Boris’s pal looking wonderfully tip top on QT tonight too. It’s almost as if they’ve not had it nor had any symptoms.

Those cunts will make sure they get the best treatment. Meanwhile my family are preparing to potentially say goodbye to my father in law who in all likelihood has the virus. Can't get up to see him and his condition is getting worse. Wife and son are in bits, my son was very close to his papa. Surreal this crisis has touched my front door. Hardest bit is that he may die all on his own. Horrible 

4 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Those cunts will make sure they get the best treatment. Meanwhile my family are preparing to potentially say goodbye to my father in law who in all likelihood has the virus. Can't get up to see him and his condition is getting worse. Wife and son are in bits, my son was very close to his papa. Surreal this crisis has touched my front door. Hardest bit is that he may die all on his own. Horrible 

Sorry to hear that. What hospital is he in?