Coronavirus - Page 71 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

There was a lot being made of the economic argument in the States a week or so ago, and some of Trump's varied responses were due to listening to those on Fox espousing it, but it's more than just the economic damage. We're social animals who have created cultures built around social interaction. I know I'm personalizing this, and it's not fully rational, but my mother not being allowed to visit my dying father after sixty years of marriage seems fundamentally wrong. And this must be happening to so many families.

You are being completelyĀ Ā rational Donny, Ā no one should underestimate the emotional stress of this.
Its nothing compared to your mum and dads situation but my daughter has beenĀ staying at her boy friends house as he has 3 elderly grandparents and they did not want to cross contaminate by my daughter and her boyfriendĀ moving between houses.
MyĀ daughter has no grandparents now so it made sense forĀ her to stay at her boyfriendsĀ house.

OnĀ Sunday sheĀ went out for a walk andĀ came down to ourĀ house and stood in the garden and I was at the back door. After she left she texted to say she had burst out crying at the gate as she was leaving and that she missed us so much.Ā 
I know this might seem a small thing to most of you but she is not a needy girl, quite the opposite, but it is affecting her and it must be affecting many families in much bigger ways. Ā 
I would hope we all come through thisĀ more appreciativeĀ Ā of our freedom but I really do feel there could be better ways of dealing with people in the situation you and your family are in.Ā 

22 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Long lie reading book. Take time in shower. Mooch about. Go out for lunch and a couple of drinks. Siesta. Read book. Watch football, have supper. Bed. Repeat.

There are not enough drinks in there for me. CouldĀ Ā I substitute the second book reading for ā€˜few more drinksā€™ ?Ā 

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Goes without saying you need some wine to go with your food. If Iā€™m honest thatā€™s probably my plan for onlyĀ every second day.

Couple of drams before bed too?

13 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Starting to get a bit worrying down her in terms of police using these powers excessively and acting well beyond their remit. Using drones in Derbyshire and highlighting innocent people out walking, stopping people when out driving. We are also getting a lot of Facebook vigilantes grassing people up or outing them on social media. I don't like the way this is going.

I went out for a walk in Glasgow today and there were three police cars, each at a different entrance to a park. The police were stopping people to ask them why they were out.Ā 

As they were at a park Iā€™d have thought the reason most folk were out was pretty obvious. Cops must be bored. Surely they have more importantĀ things to doĀ than this?

2 hours ago, fringo said:

I know itā€™s been and asked already but is there any point whatsoever in comparing the number of cases from country to country? If everyone isnā€™t testing in the same way then itā€™s completely irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I know itā€™s been and asked already but is there any point whatsoever in comparing the number of cases from country to country? If everyone isnā€™t testing in the same way then itā€™s completely irrelevant.

Probably not. I just found it interesting.

29 minutes ago, fringo said:

Probably not. I just found it interesting.

Sorry, just realised that reads a bit like I was challenging you directly rather than the figures themselves which is what I was trying to do.

It just strikes me as strange that so many outlets are doing so without also stating what seems to be obvious: if we aren't testing everyone with symptoms, and every government statement on the figures comes with the caveat "these are likely to be an under-estimate", then comparing the number of cases in the UK with anywhere else is guesswork at best.

29 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Sorry, just realised that reads a bit like I was challenging you directly rather than the figures themselves which is what I was trying to do.

It just strikes me as strange that so many outlets are doing so without also stating what seems to be obvious: if we aren't testing everyone with symptoms, and every government statement on the figures comes with the caveat "these are likely to be an under-estimate", then comparing the number of cases in the UK with anywhere else is guesswork at best.

No, not all. I got what you meant and youĀ are probably correct but that'sĀ  all we've got at the moment as a yardstick.

I phoned a friend of mineĀ in Manila on Saturday.Ā 

Philippines with a population of 105 million but under 1,000Ā cases.probably demonstrates the lack of info in many countries.

Huge differences in so called advanced/developed countriesĀ in Europe.

I guess all it shows are the changesĀ in countriesĀ reporting ( in which ever way they report)Ā mostly Europe, USA, China, Japan and S. Korea.

As I said in a post last week, however bad it looks now in Europe & USA, goodness knows what could happened in Africa and India and other countries without the same infrastructures as we have.

13 hours ago, thplinth said:

Maybe someone should start another thread for all the tangents but one thing that has amazed me as a result of reading into this crisis is just how sketchy is our understanding of what a virus actually is. For example they are debating whether a virus is alive or not. I would have immediately thought yes but apparently Science is not sure at all.

wow ...it's more accurate to think of viruses as part of the continuum between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

WTF are we even dealing with here. Strange little fuckers.

Sorry to quote myself but maybe we are dealing with a zombie plague.Ā :oĀ 

just teeny tiny ones

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I went out for a walk in Glasgow today and there were three police cars, each at a different entrance to a park. The police were stopping people to ask them why they were out.Ā 

As they were at a park Iā€™d have thought the reason most folk were out was pretty obvious. Cops must be bored. Surely they have more importantĀ things to doĀ than this?

$5,000 fine here if you go to a park, or a playground,Ā or the beach, etc.

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ā 

I thought we were advised to stay away from parks. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?Ā 

Maybe because that bit doesn't actually make any sense. We are allowed to walk down the street for "exercise" but not allowed to walk through a park. Where is the sense in that?

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ā 

I thought we were advised to stay away from parks. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?Ā 

YOu are allowed to visit parks that are within reasonable walking distance of your home. In Glasgow alone there is Queens Park, Linn Park, Kelvingrove, Rouken Glen, Victoria Park, Pollok Park and plenty others that will be local to a number of people, you can't stop individuals walking to these places for a stroll.

The issue is what we saw at the weekend with plenty of people getting in their cars and travelling to Strathclyde Park, that then becomes a problem.

44 minutes ago, Mox said:

YOu are allowed to visit parks that are within reasonable walking distance of your home. In Glasgow alone there is Queens Park, Linn Park, Kelvingrove, Rouken Glen, Victoria Park, Pollok Park and plenty others that will be local to a number of people, you can't stop individuals walking to these places for a stroll.

The issue is what we saw at the weekend with plenty of people getting in their cars and travelling to Strathclyde Park, that then becomes a problem.

I haveĀ rereadĀ the advice and it does state parks can be used as long as people adhere to social distancing.Ā 

Persobally i am avoiding parks anyway. No point taking risks

Down here is similar, people are flocking to parks and even beaches however the beaches look emptier today and yesterday.

Ā 

11 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Iā€™m sure I saw a blog or website where somebody is graphing the virus including a line for Scottish cases or deaths. Anyone got a link? Not sure if I saw itĀ originally here or Twitter.

is it this one?

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/?fbclid=IwAR1itEZaOQxdrvfM63YodJBnDllS904UzS2Rt2cl0t9mITSqnJnEp7jDoII