Coronavirus - Page 70 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 3/21/2020 at 11:54 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I'm not convinced about China at all

Japan is at it too IMO because of the Olympics

Time will tell

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-japan-tokyo-olympics-2020-postponed-cases-map-a9433301.html

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

That lays out things that have been troubling me (and no doubt many of us) for a while. The figures in, say, Italy and Germany don't make sense unless it's a different form of the virus, or remarkably different populations, or they're recording death rates differently. "Rushed science is usually bad science." Indeed.

Ā 

Starting to get a bit worrying down her in terms of police using these powers excessively and acting well beyond their remit. Using drones in Derbyshire and highlighting innocent people out walking, stopping people when out driving. We are also getting a lot of Facebook vigilantes grassing people up or outing them on social media. I don't like the way this is going.

7 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah the lack of homogenity in recording methods is causing confusion. Although the main concern seems to be the amount of people requiring ventillators rather than outright deaths, the overload of the healthcare system as the pertinent problem as opposed to the death total.

I did not make it past the first paragraph...

In announcing the most far-reaching restrictions on personal freedom in the history of our nation, Boris Johnson resolutely followed the scientific advice that he had been given. The advisers to the government seem calm and collected, with a solid consensus among them. In the face of a new viral threat, with numbers of cases surging daily, Iā€™m not sure that any prime minister would have acted very differently.

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, phart said:

It seems to be leading us to think folk were going to die anyway so lets not devalue the economy too much.

There was a lot being made of the economic argument in the States a week or so ago, and some of Trump's varied responses were due to listening to those on Fox espousing it, but it's more than just the economic damage. We're social animals who have created cultures built around social interaction. I know I'm personalizing this, and it's not fully rational, but my mother not being allowed to visit my dying father after sixty years of marriage seems fundamentally wrong. And this must be happening to so many families.

Maybe someone should start another thread for all the tangents but one thing that has amazed me as a result of reading into this crisis is just how sketchy is our understanding of what a virus actually is. For example they are debating whether a virus is alive or not. I would have immediately thought yes but apparently Science is not sure at all.

https://www.sciencealert.com/virus

Are viruses alive?

This is a question scientists continue to discuss as definitions of life and ecology change. Current thinking suggests viruses should be considered part of a complex living system, one that extends between all organisms.

'Virions' are the inactive particles that move through the environment, which we don't tend to think of as alive. Only once they're part of a cell do viruses take on living characteristics of their own, borrowing the host's biochemistry to reproduce.

As such, it's more accurate to think of viruses asĀ part of the continuumĀ between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

wow ...it's more accurate to think of viruses as part of the continuum between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

WTF are we even dealing with here. Strange little fuckers.

Edited by thplinth

15 minutes ago, phart said:

It seems to be leading us to think folk were going to die anyway so lets not devalue the economy too much.

Yes, as you say, it's all about trying not toĀ overwhelm the NHS and prevent the number of deaths getting out of control. It would be politically disastrous to be in charge when the NHS totally collapses. If it had just been about number of deaths v the economy, there is a good chance that the economy might have won in that political battle. But the collapse of the NHS is a different story.

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Maybe someone should start another thread for all the tangents but one thing that has amazed me as a result of reading into this crisis is just how sketchy is our understanding of what a virus actually is. For example they are debating whether a virus is alive or not. I would have immediately thought yes but apparently Science is not sure at all.

https://www.sciencealert.com/virus

Are viruses alive?

This is a question scientists continue to discuss as definitions of life and ecology change. Current thinking suggests viruses should be considered part of a complex living system, one that extends between all organisms.

'Virions' are the inactive particles that move through the environment, which we don't tend to think of as alive. Only once they're part of a cell do viruses take on living characteristics of their own, borrowing the host's biochemistry to reproduce.

As such, it's more accurate to think of viruses asĀ part of the continuumĀ between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

wow ...it's more accurate to think of viruses as part of the continuum between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

WTF are we even dealing with here. Strange little fuckers.

Aye, that's a debate which has been going on for decades. It doesn't really matter much to virologists though. It's just an academic discussion for them.Ā 

27 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

There was a lot being made of the economic argument in the States a week or so ago, and some of Trump's varied responses were due to listening to those on Fox espousing it, but it's more than just the economic damage. We're social animals who have created cultures built around social interaction. I know I'm personalizing this, and it's not fully rational, but my mother not being allowed to visit my dying father after sixty years of marriage seems fundamentally wrong. And this must be happening to so many families.

It's hard to argue that mainly cause i agree.

Was reading this recently:Ā Ā  There are millions of viruses in every drop of seawater.Ā Ā  The thousands of bacteria in the same drop get battered by them.Ā Ā  Their remnants in turn feed many of those bacteria and so on up the food chain.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

At some point the lockdown will be doing more harm than good. It will be difficult to decide when that point comes. Different folk will have different views when that is. Plenty folk will think we are already past that point.

Probably put a few folk off the idea of early retirement.

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

At some point the lockdown will be doing more harm than good. It will be difficult to decide when that point comes. Different folk will have different views when that is. Plenty folk will think we are already past that point.

Got my letter from government today saying I should stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least 12 weeks. Iā€™m an unsociable bugger and even I am gonna struggle. No idea how normal people will cope, especially those who live alone.

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I keep getting loads of posts saying this is Nature taking revenge or teaching is a lesson, but if itā€™s a living thing maybe itā€™s just Natureā€™s way of telling us there are too many Vegans.Ā 

v1.bTsxMTIyMDgxNjtqOzE4NDQ0OzEyMDA7MTUzN