Coronavirus - Page 68 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

12 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Total covid 19 deaths for the year just about matching the deaths due to hunger today. A third of today’s abortions. 
figures that should be comparable if the concern is human lives. 

The problem with that line of thinking is neither of these causes of deaths overwhelm the health service to the point that any critical health issue becomes a death sentence.

If you just read the totals and not the actual underlying ripples caused by these totals then you could compare like for like, the situation is more complex than that though.

The Australian picture is interesting. 

I don't  believe a flattening of the curve is happening.  Testing is at best sporadic.

However the death toll remains remarkably low.

I honestly would have expected Australia  to be ahead of most of the European countries. We are heavily exposed to Asia. A vast number is students would have returned from China at the middle/end of January.

It is very strange. 

There has been a marked ramping up of critical care service which still makes me fearful thens storm is coming.

It was an unusually hot Jan and Feb so maybe there is some truth in the climate aspect.

Still.veru worried though.

2 minutes ago, beardy said:

I don't  believe a flattening of the curve is happening.  Testing is at best sporadic.

I honestly would have expected Australia  to be ahead of most of the European countries. We are heavily exposed to Asia. A vast number is students would have returned from China at the middle/end of January.

It is very strange. 

There has been a marked ramping up of critical care service which still makes me fearful thens storm is coming.

It was an unusually hot Jan and Feb so maybe there is some truth in the climate aspect.

I've seen various models and the "southern temperate" sub totals have always been lower, that maybe a function of population being lower in that sub region though or it may be enviromental conditions affecting transmission. Until more info is gleaned from study a lot of these models are operating with huge margins of error though.

One of my friends was bemoaning the lack of sensitivity testing on these models. She knows what she is talking about unlike me.

30 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

How many folk will touch Boris's letter before it comes through your letterbox ?

Is it an actual letter - I mean its not as if Posties aren't stretched enough as it is.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Wonder if he licked all the envelopes himself? Mine will go straight in the bin without touching it.

I wouldnt worry, the time it takes royal mail to deliver at best of times is long enough for the virus to be killed off. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I wouldnt worry, the time it takes royal mail to deliver at best of times is long enough for the virus to be killed off. 

Our posties are doing a grand job. When are they going to get a clap?

I read one study, using a different coronavirus, which suggested it could remain viable on a surface for up to 9 days depending on conditions. They gave an average range of a few hours up to 5 or 6 days. I suppose it might depend on how much slavers he transferred to each envelope? Hope you've had your dinner.:barf:

9 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Jesus Christ

Raymoondo... :(

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

That’ll be No then.

It's far too early for me to come to a conclusion of what ingredients have contributed to this crisis.

3 hours ago, beardy said:

It is very strange. 

The population of Canada is 38 million.

We've only just started Spring here, but temperatures still going below zero (as it normally does in these parts).

We have 5,596 cases, and 61 deaths (so far).

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Our posties are doing a grand job. When are they going to get a clap?

I read one study, using a different coronavirus, which suggested it could remain viable on a surface for up to 9 days depending on conditions. They gave an average range of a few hours up to 5 or 6 days. I suppose it might depend on how much slavers he transferred to each envelope? Hope you've had your dinner.:barf:

As a postal worker in my 32nd year of service, my take would gladly be that any show of appreciation would be saved for the health workers.

I couldn't tie their shoes.

With folk in isolation, it's important for the sake of morale and hope that they continue to see the outside world functioning as normally as it can, and that's why things like garbage collection and postal delivery are important in that regard.

It's a privilege to be able to bring folk their CD's, DVD's, video games, books, appliances, medicine, groceries, alcohol, clothes, etc, if it can help break up their day, help keep them occupied, and help them to stay isolated.

The job is now a duty. 👍

25 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Raymoondo... :(

It's far too early for me to come to a conclusion of what ingredients have contributed to this crisis.

The population of Canada is 38 million.

We've only just started Spring here, but temperatures still going below zero (as it normally does in these parts).

We have 5,596 cases, and 61 deaths (so far).

As a postal worker in my 32nd year of service, my take would gladly be that any show of appreciation would be saved for the health workers.

I couldn't tie their shoes.

With folk in isolation, it's important for the sake of morale and hope that they continue to see the outside world functioning as normally as it can, and that's why things like garbage collection and postal delivery are important in that regard.

It's a privilege to be able to bring folk their CD's, DVD's, video games, books, appliances, medicine, groceries, alcohol, clothes, etc, if it can help break up their day, help keep them occupied, and help them to stay isolated.

The job is now a duty. 👍

is it typically household/letterboxes in your part of  TO , or communal mailboxes - as we have in our cul de sac ?

- the one down the road had its entire front ripped off few weeks back - word on the street was teens ; but is a federal offence turns out

2 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

is it typically household/letterboxes in your part of  TO , or communal mailboxes - as we have in our cul de sac ?

'Oakville' (where I live) was pretty much the Canadian pilot for 'community boxes'.

(I, however, deliver parcels in downtown Toronto around The Rogers Centre/Ripley's Aquarium/ CN Tower and Queens Quay areas.)

4 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

- the one down the road had its entire front ripped off few weeks back - word on the street was teens ; but is a federal offence turns out

The criminal code has its' own section when it comes the mail.

The sentences are very strict as the mail is considered the Queen's property until it's delivered.

Just now, Scotty CTA said:

'Oakville' (where I live) was pretty much the Canadian pilot for 'community boxes'.

(I, however, deliver parcels in downtown Toronto around The Rogers Centre/Ripley's Aquarium/ CN Tower and Queens Quay areas.)

The criminal code has its' own section when it comes the mail.

The sentences are very strict as the mail is considered the Queen's property until it's delivered.

thanks for feedback mate

good luck