Coronavirus - Page 64 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

44 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

The clapping thing was self congratulatory, back slapping bullshit. Either the people who vote Tory don't give a eff, or they are too stupid to realise.

And the yummy mummies on social media who were posting videos of their kids clapping were the same ones who were moaning about people talking about "boring" politics around election time.

"I'm not even voting cos they're all liars"

"Everyone on facebook thinks they're a politician these days"   etc etc

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Glad to hear it Scotty.

I have a neighbour who is a dentist and he said he was one of the first places shut down (for obvious reasons spending your time working in the exhaled breath of someone else). I was wondering afterwards what happens if you get a real bad toothache... That could be torture if you cant get it seen to. Maybe avoid toffee apples and the like until this blows over. ;) (edit: better add a smilie before someone has a moan)

I was at the dentist a few days before everything was effectively closed down and we were talking about everything being closed down . My dentists main concern was how she was going to pay the school fees for her 3 kids who were at private school. 
I found it a strange priority. 

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

As far as I can tell it's only in London so far that the NHS is close to breaking point. The rest of the country, so far, seems to be normal flat out busy. Although they are cancelling loads of "non emergency" treatments in preparation. It won't need too many more COVID-19 cases for it to turn to chaos though. Everyone is just bracing themselves for the onslaught. We are also lucky that this just happens to have been one of the quietest flu seasons for a while.

That may be the case (I've no idea), but I'm talking about the lock-down's effect on 'care' in a wider sense.

My siblings hadn't been allowed to visit at all since Monday, and by Thursday they were told to visit as it may be the last chance - he wasn't good before, but those three days had seen a real deterioration. Before that, there had only been two people allowed in a visit (I have three siblings). One of my sisters drove 40 miles and wasn't allowed in as my other brother and sister were already there - they weren't allowed to simply tag-team. Just spoken to one of them, and the place (a Parkinson's facility) has patients with dementia who don't understand why their family have stopped visiting (my dad understood - he has a functioning brain in a failing body), but he's stopped eating, and so had many of those with dementia.

I'm not suggesting we're in any way exceptional or worthy of exceptional treatment - this must be happening all over the country. It use seems that the balance of risk to harm is skewed.

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is it overly cynical to think this might just be a ploy to help reinforce the “we’re in it together”?

Probably, but completely understandable.
We will no doubt be getting regular updates from Philip Scofield and Holly Willoughby’s sofa, telling us all he really is ‘one of us’ . 

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is it overly cynical to think this might just be a ploy to help reinforce the “we’re in it together”?

Maybe, but if I was a frontline health worker who was being denied a test then I would feel further away from the whole in it together shebang. You're in there with positive cases day in day out and fandans like Prince Charlie and BoJo are getting tests for mild to non existent symptoms.

40 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

That may be the case (I've no idea), but I'm talking about the lock-down's effect on 'care' in a wider sense.

My siblings hadn't been allowed to visit at all since Monday, and by Thursday they were told to visit as it may be the last chance - he wasn't good before, but those three days had seen a real deterioration. Before that, there had only been two people allowed in a visit (I have three siblings). One of my sisters drove 40 miles and wasn't allowed in as my other brother and sister were already there - they weren't allowed to simply tag-team. Just spoken to one of them, and the place (a Parkinson's facility) has patients with dementia who don't understand why their family have stopped visiting (my dad understood - he has a functioning brain in a failing body), but he's stopped eating, and so had many of those with dementia.

I'm not suggesting we're in any way exceptional or worthy of exceptional treatment - this must be happening all over the country. It use seems that the balance of risk to harm is skewed.

Sorry to hear about your family's situation, it must be tough.

Some of the rules do seem a bit daft and they are just being made up on the hoof. The rules will seem even dafter for folk when emotions come into play. Do these rules help? Who knows? We are currently all taking part in a huge global experiment. And, it's not a very well controlled experiment. 

At some point the lockdown will be doing more harm than good. We could already be at that stage? 

22 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Maybe, but if I was a frontline health worker who was being denied a test then I would feel further away from the whole in it together shebang. You're in there with positive cases day in day out and fandans like Prince Charlie and BoJo are getting tests for mild to non existent symptoms.

As much as he's a total twat, he's probably one of the most key workers in the UK right now.  Which in itself doesn't fill me with masses of confidence but that's where we are.

TBH, I'm surprised they aren't being tested regularly as a matter of course.   That applies to the SG and the various chief medical and scientific bods as well.

Totally different situation from Prince Charles.  

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

This also might throw some light on how Japan is doing so 'well' relatively speaking.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/japans-winning-its-quiet-fight-against-covid-19/

I suspect only when this has passed will the analyses (like the Italy one above of normal historical deaths versus this CV period's actual deaths) reveal the true CV related deaths. Dying due to the system being overwhelmed due to CV, but not directly dying of the CV, should still be a CV related death (IMO), but they are not being counted like that currently. That Italy study captures them (possibly).

I am starting wonder if I have already had this but the symptoms were so mild I did not attribute it to the CV.  

It looks like even the actual number of deaths isn't an absolute known number. It's going to depend on how each country records them. 

The pneumonia vaccine bit is interesting. Quite a lot of older folk in Scotland will have had that. Some might not even know they've had it. It doesn't protect against viral infections, just some of the bacterial ones. Although COVID-19 is a viral infection, some of the folk who die from COVID-19 will die because their immune systems have become weakened enough to allow bacterial pneumonia infections to set in. Hopefully it will help to save some lives.

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

seeing a good bit on my social media feeds just now praising boris,, for what? decimating the service, i think the tone will turn to anger very shortly. are you from the north east also?

Yes mate, lived in the north east most of my life but now down south. Been here almost 4 yeats to the day