Coronavirus - Page 63 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 3/25/2020 at 7:14 AM, thplinth said:

Jeezo so if things start getting out of hand you will not just have to avoid getting the virus but avoid getting any and every other serious medical condition as well during the crisis period.

Not just falling ill for some other reason but random shit like getting hit by a car might prove fatal whereas before they would have been able to save you. It could be anything that requires urgent medical care which is probably just not going to be available if they are totally overwhelmed.

The ramifications of this thing just don't end at this point. Social unrest, the lot.

So, my 20 year old nephew is doubled over in pain this morning and his Dad (my brother) rushes him to hospital.

He has emergency surgery to have his appendix removed before it bursts.

The operation went as well as it could have.

Soooo grateful that they were able to take him.

Canada 'strongly opposed' to U.S. stationing troops near shared border

Sources say President Donald Trump is looking to place soldiers near border in response to coronavirus fears.

There were over 74,000 cases of coronavirus in the United States as of Thursday midday. About half were in New York -- almost 10 times more than any other state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The greater fear (for us) is people trying to escape NY to come to Canada, rather than the other way around (as our whole country only has 4,000 confirmed cases).

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

So, my 20 year old nephew is doubled over in pain this morning and his Dad (my brother) rushes him to hospital.

That's great it went well Scotty. 

23 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Boris seems to be getting a lot of spin off praise from the support for the NHS staff. It wasn't that long ago Tories in the House of Commons were applauding the blocking of a pay rise for nurses. 

I live in tory heartlands. Not one of my neighbours realised their hypocrisy

This also might throw some light on how Japan is doing so 'well' relatively speaking.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/japans-winning-its-quiet-fight-against-covid-19/

I suspect only when this has passed will the analyses (like the Italy one above of normal historical deaths versus this CV period's actual deaths) reveal the true CV related deaths. Dying due to the system being overwhelmed due to CV, but not directly dying of the CV, should still be a CV related death (IMO), but they are not being counted like that currently. That Italy study captures them (possibly).

I am starting wonder if I have already had this but the symptoms were so mild I did not attribute it to the CV.  

Edited by thplinth

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Glad to hear it Scotty.

I have a neighbour who is a dentist and he said he was one of the first places shut down (for obvious reasons spending your time working in the exhaled breath of someone else). I was wondering afterwards what happens if you get a real bad toothache... That could be torture if you cant get it seen to. Maybe avoid toffee apples and the like until this blows over. ;) (edit: better add a smilie before someone has a moan)

Edited by thplinth

39 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Glad to hear it Scotty.

I have a neighbour who is a dentist and he said he was one of the first places shut down (for obvious reasons spending your time working in the exhaled breath of someone else). I was wondering afterwards what happens if you get a real bad toothache... That could be torture if you cant get it seen to. Maybe avoid toffee apples and the like until this blows over. ;) (edit: better add a smilie before someone has a moan)

I guess they'll all be different, but my daughter picked up a toothache last week. She got an appointment (pre-lockdown to be fair) but said she was ushered in, they had a quick look, gave her a prescription & couldn't get her out of the door fast enough.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I live in tory heartlands. Not one of my neighbours realised their hypocrisy

seeing a good bit on my social media feeds just now praising boris,, for what? decimating the service, i think the tone will turn to anger very shortly. are you from the north east also?

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

This also might throw some light on how Japan is doing so 'well' relatively speaking.

I suspect only when this has passed will the analyses (like the Italy one above of normal historical deaths versus this CV period's actual deaths) reveal the true CV related deaths. Dying due to the system being overwhelmed due to CV, but not directly dying of the CV, should still be a CV related death (IMO), but they are not being counted like that currently. That Italy study captures them (possibly).

I am starting wonder if I have already had this but the symptoms were so mild I did not attribute it to the CV.  

Very interesting. Cheers. :ok:

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

That all looks quite possible. I imagine that hospitals everywhere are treating the symptoms rather than the virus though.

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Boris seems to be getting a lot of spin off praise from the support for the NHS staff. It wasn't that long ago Tories in the House of Commons were applauding the blocking of a pay rise for nurses. 

The clapping thing was self congratulatory, back slapping bullshit. Either the people who vote Tory don't give a eff, or they are too stupid to realise.

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

He's getting support from his pals in the media but the reality is he and his government have handled this whole thing horrendously. We're still no closer to finding out when staff ill have the right equipment to try and tackle this virus.

A mate of mine works in The Royal and told me that he is petrified going into work everyday because they are not protected, thats the reality.

I also wonder what will happen with the NHS once this is all over as i suspect a lot of NHS staff will chuck it after this.

14 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

That all looks quite possible. I imagine that hospitals everywhere are treating the symptoms rather than the virus though.

Yes, but Japan just seems to be far, far better at doing it. It's possible that if our NHS hadn't been so run down that the UK might be taking the same approach as Japan?

25 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Given that there is currently no treatment for the virus, that seems pretty likely. 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes, but Japan just seems to be far, far better at doing it. It's possible that if our NHS hadn't been so run down that the UK might be taking the same approach as Japan?

Yes, that does seem to be the case. The lock-down restrictions are impacting care.

It's hard for me to comment as I'm not there, but I hear things as my family are in a situation that mirrors slasher's. Father dying (not Covid related). Had a call from one of my sisters yesterday that they were going into the hospital to say goodbye as he's deteriorated further, but my mother isn't allowed as she's high risk (married sixty years). Dunno, just seems unnecessary - she's got terminal bone-marrow cancer and won't last much longer anyway. Meanwhile I'm here; not that my being there would do any good.

17 minutes ago, Mox said:

A mate of mine works in The Royal and told me that he is petrified going into work everyday because they are not protected, thats the reality.

At the reception at the Vicky the staff at the front line dealing with the public have still not been given face masks. They did however tape up the hole in the plexiglass screen for them. They also have nurses at the entrance pre screening anyone trying to get to reception with many being told to GTF as it is not that important. All seems a bit half arsed and nickle and dime in the UK at the moment. I had a look at the funding of the NHS relative to Germany, France, Italy... wow we are possibly in for a rough ride.

Really pisses me of when the Chancellor and Boris go on about how the government's aid package to the British people is un-precedented, won't let anyone down, help to everyone pish. When this is over or under control it doesn't take a genius to work out who is going to pay for it all. Another recession on it's way and the rich will get richer.

17 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yes, that does seem to be the case. The lock-down restrictions are impacting care.

It's hard for me to comment as I'm not there, but I hear things as my family are in a situation that mirrors slasher's. Father dying (not Covid related). Had a call from one of my sisters yesterday that they were going into the hospital to say goodbye as he's deteriorated further, but my mother isn't allowed as she's high risk (married sixty years). Dunno, just seems unnecessary - she's got terminal bone-marrow cancer and won't last much longer anyway. Meanwhile I'm here; not that my being there would do any good.

As far as I can tell it's only in London so far that the NHS is close to breaking point. The rest of the country, so far, seems to be normal flat out busy. Although they are cancelling loads of "non emergency" treatments in preparation. It won't need too many more COVID-19 cases for it to turn to chaos though. Everyone is just bracing themselves for the onslaught. We are also lucky that this just happens to have been one of the quietest flu seasons for a while.

Edited by Orraloon