Coronavirus - Page 62 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, fringo said:

I check the WHO site everyday although it's stats seem to be about 24 hrs other news reports and the site you've linked.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

However scary things are in Europe I really dread to think what could happen in other parts of the world with less developed medical systems and structures e.g. Africa.

Cheers. That worldometers site is pretty fast. I usually have a look at the end of the day and then all the countries have posted their daily changes. It is surprisingly variable when you look at it country by country as well.

These two Daily Cases and Daily Deaths bar graphs (scroll down a bit) are a quick way to gauge how it is going. When they start to flatten out and then fall that will be when the measures taken start to show.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/

I think we will start to see certain countries (mostly) getting on top of it and becoming islands (using strict border controls) surrounded by other countries who are still struggling to varying degrees. When it first kicked off I think Japan was No 2 on the total cases list after China. They have gradually fallen to 27th now and have less total cases than Luxembourg. 

32 minutes ago, fringo said:

I check the WHO site everyday although it's stats seem to be about 24 hrs other news reports and the site you've linked.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

However scary things are in Europe I really dread to think what could happen in other parts of the world with less developed medical systems and structures e.g. Africa.

You really have to worry about will happen - may already be happening and we don't know - if it gets into refugee camps in places like Syria.

Just now, aaid said:

You really have to worry about will happen - may already be happening and we don't know - if it gets into refugee camps in places like Syria.

My friend is a diplomat in Kenya once it get's going there (and Kenya is the jewel in the East African crown) it will be a nightmare, refugee camps will be hit even worse.

They're getting repatriated this weekend. FCO minister been dithering like fuck as well. BA putting on special flights. They were almost having to be flown out in c-130's.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think we've chatted before that we have a mutual friend in Manila (Neil W.).

I also have 2-3 other friends there. They've been in lockdown weeks before us but the number of cases in Philippines is well under 1000 (population 104m!). One of my friends pointed out it's because the state had no idea of numbers.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hate to be pedantic but the greater Glasgow population is around 1.2 million.  Greater Manchester is 2.8 million.

Fair point but I did say Glasgow is a bigger city. The transmission rate in Glasgow and surrounding area is unlikely to be significantly lower than it will be in Manchester or probably even Birmingham.

The Highlands and Islands, Fife and the North East etc. are a different matter of course.

10 minutes ago, fringo said:

I think we've chatted before that we have a mutual friend in Manila (Neil W.).

I also have 2-3 other friends there. They've been in lockdown weeks before us but the number of cases in Philippines is well under 1000 (population 104m!). One of my friends pointed out it's because the state had no idea of numbers.

Know him well - last time I saw him was on an epic night out in Manila about 10 years ago.    

I've loads of Filipino ex-colleagues and can see from Facebook they've been self isolating for a while.

I'd definitely go with the government not knowing or not being honest about the numbers, particularly with Digong in charge.   That country is rife with corruption.

There's certainly loads of barangays in Manila that would be breeding grounds for any kind of infection.

12 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Did the TAMB go into early precautionary lock-down? No new members allowed in since February 15.

I think Chripper has given up creating new profiles for the moment and there is no football so maybe there just hasn't been any new members?

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Know him well - last time I saw him was on an epic night out in Manila about 10 years ago.    

I've loads of Filipino ex-colleagues and can see from Facebook they've been self isolating for a while.

I'd definitely go with the government not knowing or not being honest about the numbers, particularly with Digong in charge.   That country is rife with corruption.

There's certainly loads of barangays in Manila that would be breeding grounds for any kind of infection.

I've not been out to visit but see him back here occasionally for a quick pint. I almost booked flights in January to visit another friend and Neil. Would have been flying next weekend. Thankfully I backed out of going just before this all kicked off.

6 minutes ago, fringo said:

I've not been out to visit but see him back here occasionally for a quick pint. I almost booked flights in January to visit another friend and Neil. Would have been flying next weekend. Thankfully I backed out of going just before this all kicked off.

You should definitely go.  It's a fantastic place and the people are wonderful amongst the friendliest people I've ever met in my life.

Get out Manila though, its a lively city with great nightlife, but the real beauty of the Philippines is in the islands.

I used to go there with work about 3 or 4 times a year with a previous job but unfortunately - maybe fortunately 😉- I moved on from that not long after he moved there so I think I was only out with him that one time.   Real fun time, went out with him and a load of other guys from the ADB.  He'd just bought a car from the US embassy and it still had the diplomatic plates on it so we were bombproof 😄

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why are you asking? Were you trying to create a new login for yourself? ;)

Bottom of the home page: newest member 'keithrichards - joined February 15'; or summat like that. Just seems odd. I remember when the last iteration of the board was dying, folk weren't being registered. On the other hand, I'm assuming Wendy Who / Ormond / WCTA was been banned around then along with chripper / TDK. Did they shut the board to stop 'em re-registering? Seems a bit extreme.

35 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Bottom of the home page: newest member 'keithrichards - joined February 15'; or summat like that. Just seems odd. I remember when the last iteration of the board was dying, folk weren't being registered. On the other hand, I'm assuming Wendy Who / Ormond / WCTA was been banned around then along with chripper / TDK. Did they shut the board to stop 'em re-registering? Seems a bit extreme.

I think Chripper is still here. He was smart enough to have his extra logins preloaded. Maybe he saw the TAMB lockdown coming?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think Chripper is still here. He was smart enough to have his extra logins preloaded. Maybe he saw the TAMB lockdown coming?

I don’t think he is. I haven’t heard from him in a while anyway. 

Mind you, who knows - he could be anybody. I was even accused of being him the other day.

Maybe he’s got the virus?

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

First there was an angry under reaction now there is an angry over reaction. I am past caring at this point.

There wasn't any initial anger, there might be a bit now. 

I am sorry for your loss but you said it was an unrelated illness and I assume from your posts not entirely unexpected so why you are having a go on this coronavirus thread I am not sure.

Wow. This doesn't reflect well on you. The correlation is obvious. 

This will be my last post on it but I was trying to show why the authorities are reacting the way they are. That should have been obvious as I was taking a range of infection rates and seeing what that might mean given the mortality rates we are seeing. Even if it hits 1% of the world population it would be very serious and that combined with the high rate of infectiousness means we need to go into serious lockdown now (see the Hammer & the Dance article referenced above).

Your interpretation is skewed imo. It's not so much you're a glass half empty guy, more like you've dropped the fucker on the floor and smashed it. 

Anyhoo fuck it, not worth the snide pish that this thread is degenerating into now.

Snide pish doesn't appear to be something you're immune to

Thanks for sparking this Tidy. Nice one.

I fail to see how you can blame Tidy or indeed anyone else 🙄

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, aaid said:

You should definitely go.  It's a fantastic place and the people are wonderful amongst the friendliest people I've ever met in my life.

Get out Manila though, its a lively city with great nightlife, but the real beauty of the Philippines is in the islands.

I used to go there with work about 3 or 4 times a year with a previous job but unfortunately - maybe fortunately 😉- I moved on from that not long after he moved there so I think I was only out with him that one time.   Real fun time, went out with him and a load of other guys from the ADB.  He'd just bought a car from the US embassy and it still had the diplomatic plates on it so we were bombproof 😄

I keep meaning to go but glad I didn't this time. I was days away from booking flights before the outbreak. The plan included some golf with them both and a trip to some of the islands. My other mate also works at ADB (Neil flagged up a possible job advert to him a couple of years ago). ADB closed for 30 days (about 2-3 wks ago). They've told me so many good things about the people there. Do you know Neil married a local girl there about 6-7 yrs ago ?

12 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Embrace the wonderful memories you have of your Mum and let the comfort from that carry you through.

We mourn because we miss, because we care, and because we love.

You'll always be grateful for her, and for her influence. 

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4

Hey Scott - never got round to telling you - my mother passed in February, so was back in Scotland for funeral - will give you ca call  

6 hours ago, Alan said:

My wife works for NHS Scotland in Glasgow and is part of various teams to get staff tested and setup testing centres for the public.  They are looking for minimum 400 temporary staff.  From her take

We don't have enough protective equipment for frontline staff.

We are not testing enough staff to get them back to work.

3:1 ratio of good guys to wanks.  Self isolation from people with recorded high levels of absence.  Bank nurses signing up for shifts then going off sick with now pay.

Wards getting prepared. Lot of staff waiting and preparing for the peak in couple of weeks.

Lack of centralised processing for volunteers.  You need organisation and staff to process.

Full levers of the state slowly turning.  Resources and experiences being shared UK wide.  Army getting involved in logistics and ready to cover prisons.

So after this we need a big review where Scottish Government succeeded and failed.

fecking hilarious - I was going to doctor your post and add an "SNP BAD" line as a joke - but you got there 1st -

36 minutes ago, fringo said:

I keep meaning to go but glad I didn't this time. I was days away from booking flights before the outbreak. The plan included some golf with them both and a trip to some of the islands. My other mate also works at ADB (Neil flagged up a possible job advert to him a couple of years ago). ADB closed for 30 days (about 2-3 wks ago). They've told me so many good things about the people there. Do you know Neil married a local girl there about 6-7 yrs ago ?

Yes - I was aware that he'd got married.   TBH, I don't know many western guys who go out there for an extended period who don't end up married 😂

Edited by aaid

42 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

fecking hilarious - I was going to doctor your post and add an "SNP BAD" line as a joke - but you got there 1st -

If anything is incorrect and does not mirror many other western nations experience and planning please point out the inaccuracies.

Nicola Sturgeon is better standing atva lectern than Boris Johnson but share the same problems and some failings in dealing with this dreadful disease.

Edited by Alan

Some interesting news from work today (I work at https://www.strath.ac.uk/research/advancedformingresearchcentre/ )

Scottish Government has set up a three level process for handling all enquiries that come in with regard to Covid-19 - NMIS https://www.nmis.scot/  will be at level two assessing proposals on a  daily basis and facilitating the production of those ideas in practice - manufacture, supply chain etc. - a clearing house for ideas if you will.

Also a  production line for ventilators is currently going in down South at GKN - partly developed by Mclaren and Williams - secondary site is hoped to be setup at NMIS in the near future - looking to produce 175 ventilators each day when up to capacity.

Edited by Lobey

8 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Hey Scott - never got round to telling you - my mother passed in February, so was back in Scotland for funeral - will give you ca call  

So sorry, Euan. :(

Hope you and your brother are doing as well as possible.