Coronavirus - Page 60 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

30 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Sounds right, but its definitely not as populous as London, Birmingham, Manchester etc.

I reckon we have an older population and we are well known for being less healthy so it probably all balances out.

Glasgow is a bigger city than Manchester.

The infection rate should be lower in Scotland as a whole but the central belt is likely to be similar to the rest of the UK outside of London I would reckon. 

It's perfectly natural to speculate on these things, just the same as it's natural not to like the speculation, there is no conscription to read posts though, so I don't see the point of blaming the messenger.

These are unprecendented times all aspects will get discussed. As i said earlier if you don't like what someone is saying or discussing, mute them or don't go where they discuss things can't expect someone to moderate their speech to your sensibilities.

By the same token people should be asking (especially now) if their posts are helpful to anyone. The truth is vitally important at all times. Unless someone has access to something else all I have seen here is speculation... oh and maybe one or two feathering their own ego nest. 

16 minutes ago, slasher said:

By the same token people should be asking (especially now) if their posts are helpful to anyone. The truth is vitally important at all times. Unless someone has access to something else all I have seen here is speculation... oh and maybe one or two feathering their own ego nest. 

It's your earlier point about too many unknown variables that I think is key. People can speculate all they want, but we need reminding every now and again that raw numbers mean next to nowt.

31 minutes ago, slasher said:

We know it's speculation. It's a message board. Speculation is the lifeblood most of it unhelpful to anyone. Just because you don't like the content of this speculation suddenly the "truth is vitally important at all times"

You're trying to censor folk (I'm assuming this is the goal) to stop you reading stuff you can choose to read. It's just not a good enough reason imo. This has been my position on censorship on the board for over 15 years and the old-timers will remember.

Anyway i'm just restating old arguments here.

1 minute ago, phart said:

We know it's speculation. It's a message board. Speculation is the lifeblood most of it unhelpful to anyone. Just because you don't like the content of this speculation suddenly the "truth is vitally important at all times"

You're trying to censor folk (I'm assuming this is the goal) to stop you reading stuff you can choose to read. It's just not a good enough reason imo. This has been my position on censorship on the board for over 15 years and the old-timers will remember.

Anyway i'm just restating old arguments here.

Utter bollocks. You post numbers as de facto, they are not. Show me your disclaimers? You and your sidekick are getting on my tits now 😠

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

Utter bollocks. You post numbers as de facto, they are not. Show me your disclaimers? You and your sidekick are getting on my tits now 😠

I've not even posted number of my own. So you're just babbling pish now. I've posted the official numbers from BNO newsroom. You say the last part like i'm meant to care. I don't. I can't make it any clearer i'm not interested in your opinion on what i should or should not post.

10 hours ago, Och Aye said:

My mates 20 year daughter instructed to go to work (travelling Motherwell to Glasgow) as a key worker. Van insurance and renewals!!! Nothing in their plans to allow working from home. Utter madness. I think some businesses should be taking it more seriously. 

From about a week ago here...

Ontario is extending the validity for drivers’ licences, licence plate stickers, health cards, and other documents amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Officials made the announcement Thursday and said the purpose is to prevent the need for in-person visits to ServiceOntario, DriveTest centres, and International Registration Plan offices during the coronavirus outbreak.

“These new regulations include extensions for driver licences, licence plate validation, Ontario Photo Cards, and Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration certificates, among others,” a statement from the Ministry of Transportation said.

TORONTO -- As of early Wednesday morning, all travellers returning home to Canada must go into mandatory self-isolation for 14 days according to new measures being enacted under the federal Quarantine Act.

The law also includes a range of penalties for those who violate such measures, including a fine of up to $1 million and up to three years in prison.

17 minutes ago, phart said:

I've not even posted number of my own. So you're just babbling pish now. I've posted the official numbers from BNO newsroom. You say the last part like i'm meant to care. I don't. I can't make it any clearer i'm not interested in your opinion on what i should or should not post.

Ok fella. I challenge you to post something positive tomorrow.

Later this week I’ll have to bury my mum. Latest word from the undertaker is that it’ll be just me, my Dad and my sister there. I’m not on here to say that this is not horrific because it is but you’re not helping one bit sir !

March 25th - 

The City of Toronto has begun to fine non-essential businesses that remain open.

and

Toronto closing playgrounds, dog parks to stop gatherings amid coronavirus outbreak.

“The city of Toronto will enforce the closure of these amenities in accordance with the Toronto Municipal Code,” Chief Pegg told the briefing. “Depending on the nature of the offence, the fines associated with accessing or using a city-owned facility or amenity can be as high as $5,000.”

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Later this week I’ll have to bury my mum. Latest word from the undertaker is that it’ll be just me, my Dad and my sister there. 

Embrace the wonderful memories you have of your Mum and let the comfort from that carry you through.

We mourn because we miss, because we care, and because we love.

You'll always be grateful for her, and for her influence. 

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

TORONTO -- As of early Wednesday morning, all travellers returning home to Canada must go into mandatory self-isolation for 14 days according to new measures being enacted under the federal Quarantine Act.

The law also includes a range of penalties for those who violate such measures, including a fine of up to $1 million and up to three years in prison.

Too little , too late

cbc news reported a woman who had ‘masked’ the symptoms to get back in country

dont get me started on the folk who recently flew to peru etc ; looking for govt to rescue them

was some girl on a costa rica yoga retreat that was cut off from the world too....

First there was an angry under reaction now there is an angry over reaction. I am past caring at this point.

I am sorry for your loss but you said it was an unrelated illness and I assume from your posts not entirely unexpected so why you are having a go on this coronavirus thread I am not sure.

This will be my last post on it but I was trying to show why the authorities are reacting the way they are. That should have been obvious as I was taking a range of infection rates and seeing what that might mean given the mortality rates we are seeing. Even if it hits 1% of the world population it would be very serious and that combined with the high rate of infectiousness means we need to go into serious lockdown now (see the Hammer & the Dance article referenced above).

Anyhoo fuck it, not worth the snide pish that this thread is degenerating into now.

Thanks for sparking this Tidy. Nice one.

Edited by thplinth

Let's be honest about this.  

No-one on this board has enough data nor any level of knowledge or experience to make any kind of informed projections. 

If they had then I'd hope they were working to tackle the pandemic and not spending all day making stuff up and posting it on here. 

Read it, don't read it, but don't believe anyone on here has any special insight into this - that includes me.

Edited by aaid

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hate to be pedantic but the greater Glasgow population is around 1.2 million.  Greater Manchester is 2.8 million.

Sorry to outpedant you 😁

Greater Manchester is a district council area - the biggest component part is Manchester itself with a (give or take) population of about half a million. The rest comprises several small & larger towns surrounding Manchester, such as Bury, Bolton, Oldham, Stockport, etc., whose population generally wouldn't thank you for saying they come from Manchester.