Coronavirus - Page 56 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The NHS is always short of beds (and people to staff them). Just because they are ICU beds doesn't mean that they can't be used for other patients at times when there is less demand for the ICU bit.

One positive that might come out of this is that the HNS might just get wee bit more respect and funding from the politicians and folk who control the purse strings. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Actually I don't think you can.   You have to keep the ICU beds free in case they are needed.  

I'm not entirely convinced that there are too few beds in general terms in normal times.   You can obviously always have more.   Staff might be a different matter and there will always be shortfalls in certain locations or certain specialities due to fluctuating demand or local issues.

One big problem - although this has been getting better - is bed blocking, where people can't be released when they should be as their care package hasn't been sorted out, ie, someone is fit enough to be released to convalesce but the care outside the hospital they need to do that isn't available.

The trick in normal times is to have the right number of beds with just enough extra capacity to cope with demand.

Agree with your second point 100%.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

One positive that might come out of this is that the HNS might just get wee bit more respect and funding from the politicians and folk who control the purse strings. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Nope, the outcome of this will be the NHS failed.and that private firms should take over sections of it.

I will go for pathology and radiology first. 

35 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think that the best data will come out of places like S Korea and China. After it's under control and things get back to some normality (whatever the new normal will be), they will go back and test huge more chunks of the population who haven't already been tested to get a idea of how many folk had it and how badly they were affected. They won't be testing for the actual virus but for antibodies to get a feel for how widespread it was. They will also be able to use this data to get an idea about immunity levels after having the virus. We probably won't do that here because it will be considered too expensive. 

My sister in law works for a company commissioned to make these 'testing kits'

Just finalising the data (Whatever that means / looks like) - It'll take around 3 weeks apparently

I had a wee thought last night that made me feel a wee bit better. It might be total bollocks, wouldn't bet the first time, but it made me feel a bit more optimistic.

It's based around the number of deaths so far. The number of deaths is the only real number we know with any degree of certainty at present. Most of the other numbers are speculative at this time. 

It kind of assumes that the number of deaths is proportional to the number of infections, which I think is a reasonable assumption.

When Italy went into lockdown on the 9th of March, they had had 8 deaths per million of total population (dpm). The UK went into lock down on the 24th with the rate at 6 dpm. The number for Scotland at the same time was 3 dpm. Based on that measure alone it looks like Scotland went into lockdown at a much earlier stage of the virus spread than either the UK or Italy. Considering that most of the Italian deaths were in north Italy then maybe that number at a more regional level might have been as high as 16 to 20? 

I'm hoping that Scotland might come out of all this a wee bit more lightly than other places?

So now they are saying big ears contacted the virus March 12. Bollocks. They would have known this if he as much as coughed once he would have been tested. Surprised it took that long for him to get infected wae the size of those fuckin lugs.. Anyhoo, he has NO business in Scotland. None!! Stay the fuck at home and infect your own ya selfish prick...

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Are there two different strains of this virus, one which is more aggressive than the other?

No idea, but there are several clades that have been identified. It's highly adapatable apparently. I think clade is the technical name for strain, not too sure though as getting into esoterics for me.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The NHS is always short of beds (and people to staff them). Just because they are ICU beds doesn't mean that they can't be used for other patients at times when there is less demand for the ICU bit.

Or it'll go tits up and start to be privatised further. One of the two..

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1242802038234374148

21 year old dead from Coronavirus

No pre-existing health conditions

There must have been something wrong with her that hadn't been identified surely?

If this thing is starting to kill fit and healthy 21 year olds we might all be in deep shit here.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There must have been something wrong with her that hadn't been identified surely?

If this thing is starting to kill fit and healthy 21 year olds we might all be in deep shit here.

Could be some people's immune systems are more susceptible to this virus. Total lottery in other words. 

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Could be some people's immune systems are more susceptible to this virus. Total lottery in other words. 

Could be but surely more younger people would've died already if this was the case?

The girl may well have had an undetected underlying health condition. A lot of us could be in that position.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Maybe this will make younger people take this more seriously.

My mates 20 year daughter instructed to go to work (travelling Motherwell to Glasgow) as a key worker. Van insurance and renewals!!! Nothing in their plans to allow working from home. Utter madness. I think some businesses should be taking it more seriously. 

4 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

My mates 20 year daughter instructed to go to work (travelling Motherwell to Glasgow) as a key worker. Van insurance and renewals!!! Nothing in their plans to allow working from home. Utter madness. I think some businesses should be taking it more seriously. 

I seriously doubt that classifies as being a key worker.   A lot of businesses will have a lot of rebuilding of trust with both employees and their customers.

Some advice from the STUC on this very situation.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

I seriously doubt that classifies as being a key worker.   A lot of businesses will have a lot of rebuilding of trust with both employees and their customers.

Thanks aaid. I'll pass that on

36 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

They'll probably claim it is essential work to keep vans on the road for deliveries.

You could connect almost any job to essential services though. Mike Ashley tried his best to convince us Sports Direct was an essential business.

54 minutes ago, aaid said:

A lot of it is still vague and not too well defined. It can't be easy to have set in stone rules applied so quickly as things are moving so fast. It's still illegal to drive a vehicle without an MOT or insurance, so at present MOT testing stations and insurance companies are still considered essential businesses, and are allowed to stay open. You would think insurance companies could make it easier for staff to work from home. MOT testers can't do that. They have so far suspended MOTs for buses and lorries but not cars or vans yet. My mate who does MOTs is expecting to be closed down soon but something will need to change to allow folk to continue driving if their MOT runs out.

Edited by Orraloon

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They'll probably claim it is essential work to keep vans on the road for deliveries.

You could connect almost any job to essential services though. Mike Ashley tried his best to convince us Sports Direct was an essential business.

The general principle that should apply to all businesses - and people -  should be unless I'm certain that I'm exempt then I shouldn't open up and I should send all my staff home.   It shouldn't be trying to game the system to manufacture some reason to stay open.  If they are in doubt they should shut down and contact the government to see if they should stay open.