Coronavirus - Page 53 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

I got an email last night saying I wasn't to go into work untill advised to do so. This morning I got one saying that the type of business I work for is not on the list of those told to close and I should come into work. I emailed my manager and he said not to bother today but to go in as normal tomorrow. I work for a timber merchant why they are not on the list I don't know. I am really not sure what to do.

Ian

I'm just about to go my grans shopping will see what it's like. Told her it should be a weekly shop now, normally tuesdays and fridays, hard to get her out of my habits though and she is more stubborn than me.

Ā 

15 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

I got an email last night saying I wasn't to go into work untill advised to do so. This morning I got one saying that the type of business I work for is not on the list of those told to close and I should come into work. I emailed my manager and he said not to bother today but to go in as normal tomorrow. I work for a timber merchant why they are not on the list I don't know. I am really not sure what to do.

Ian

I could be wrong, but I donā€™t think that thereā€™s any reason for timber merchants to be working under the current guidelines?

My mate possibly had it and gave it to his cousin and family, they are all doing fine i think here was his message when i asked him

Ā 

ā€ā€I was fucked like aye, but cud hav been a flu, will niver Know, ####Ā (cousin)fucked aswell,Ā hes tryin hard to get tested but they wina dee it. His cough is killing him, hes got an inhaler and cocodamols,Ā allĀ 5 ofĀ us have been coughing(wife and kids), ####(son)Ā on antibiotics for his lung n throat. Once this is passed naebody will ever KnowĀ how bad it's actually been since they're nae deein community testing, ā€œā€

8 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Does the U.K.Ā Government and Nicola Sturgeonā€™s advice lookĀ to be significantly different here?

The U.K.Ā government advice seems to say that people can still go to work if itā€™s not possible to work from home.

Nicola Sturgeon appeared to say ā€˜essential work only.ā€™ (Which seems a far more sensible approach, in line with the severity of the rest of the guidelines.)

Ā 

Have the U.K. government published that part of the advice incorrectly? Iā€™m sure that a lot of people will be a bit confused by that. Sadly, from what weā€™ve seen over the past week, a lot of people need to be enforcedĀ by lawĀ to act responsibly, rather than being able to make sensible decisions for themselves.

I would assume that it wonā€™t be long before a list of jobs/sectorsĀ which are allowed to continue working is published.

IĀ noticed Nicola Sturgeon said that you could go to the supermarket once per day but the UK government said you should go 'infrequently' which appeared to be clarified as being approximately once per week.

Maybe there are just sightly different rules for different parts of the UK? Confusing if this is the case.

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

IĀ noticed Nicola Sturgeon said that you could go to the supermarket once per day but the UK government said you should go 'infrequently' which appeared to be clarified as being approximately once per week.

Maybe there are just sightly different rules for different parts of the UK? Confusing if this is the case.

Iā€™m not sure why Sturgeon needs to be making statements with regards to specific rules,Ā as that just leads to further confusion, if as in this case,Ā there is some slight discrepancy between what she says and what the U.K. guidelines say.

Edited by dohadeer

Nicola seems to be only able to give recommendations (she certainly chose her words carefully last night, but all the while pressing ā€œstay at homeā€) while anything that has to come in to force is by Boris, who certainly has a much more relaxed attitude.

My work have been told we do not need to close, but boss has taken the decision that we will for a minimum of 2 weeks and then review (phoning around clients itā€™s certainly a miss match, with one main contractor saying they are closing their site, while another saying itā€™s ā€œbusiness as usualā€ and expect us on site next week to do what we need to do).

36 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My mate possibly had it and gave it to his cousin and family, they are all doing fine i think here was his message when i asked him

Ā 

ā€ā€I was fucked like aye, but cud hav been a flu, will niver Know, ####Ā (cousin)fucked aswell,Ā hes tryin hard to get tested but they wina dee it. His cough is killing him, hes got an inhaler and cocodamols,Ā allĀ 5 ofĀ us have been coughing(wife and kids), ####(son)Ā on antibiotics for his lung n throat. Once this is passed naebody will ever KnowĀ how bad it's actually been since they're nae deein community testing, ā€œā€

We in Ireland have been watching the UK response with a mix of horror and bemusement. Hospital only testing is ridiculous.

Dublin has 2 stadiums converted to drive-thru testing centres.

Here's Croke Park, that was set up a week ago...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Nicola seems to be only able to give recommendations (she certainly chose her words carefully last night, but all the while pressing ā€œstay at homeā€) while anything that has to come in to force is by Boris, who certainly has a much more relaxed attitude.

My work have been told we do not need to close, but boss has taken the decision that we will for a minimum of 2 weeks and then review (phoning around clients itā€™s certainly a miss match, with one main contractor saying they are closing their site, while another saying itā€™s ā€œbusiness as usualā€ and expect us on site next week to do what we need to do).

I suppose it depends on what the decisions are and whether they are covered by the Scottish parliament's remit. The Scottish government made the decision to close our schools before the UK government for instance.

Sturgeon's announcements are far more coherent than Boris Johnson's as well so I'd rather listen to her.

44 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ā 

What a strange way to write.

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Iā€™m not sure why Sturgeon needs to be making statements with regards to specific rules,Ā as that just leads to further confusion, if as in this case,Ā there is some slight discrepancy between what she says and what the U.K. guidelines say.

She would probably be accused of showingĀ a lack of leadership if she didn't make any announcements.Ā  They should be consistent with the UK announcements though to prevent confusion unless there is a specific reason why we are to do things differently up here and this should be made clear.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I suppose it depends on what the decisions are and whether they are covered by the Scottish parliament's remit. The Scottish government made the decision to close our schools before the UK government for instance.

Sturgeon's announcements are far more coherent than Boris Johnson's as well so I'd rather listen to her.

Yep, I think this is where Holyrood and Westminster legislation and differences get muddled up.

NicolaĀ is certainly pushing full lock down, but knows her hands are tied with certain aspects and can only recommend on certain aspects rather than put into force.

As leader of Scotland, Nicola is certainly do what is expected of her, but as said, all the while her use of words seem to be carefully thought out.

59 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

We in Ireland have been watching the UK response with a mix of horror and bemusement. Hospital only testing is ridiculous.

Dublin has 2 stadiums converted to drive-thru testing centres.

Here's Croke Park, that was set up a week ago...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I really don't understand why we have virtually stopped testing. It makes no sense. Unless there is something that we are not being told. Like they are low on test reagents or something like that?Ā 

56 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

One of the big problems is that people just don't believe what politicians tell them. Let's face it, that should come as no surprise. I think that, in Scotland, Nicola is slightly more trusted than Boris is but she is still a politician. A huge amount of folk just won't believe them until coronavirus hits themselves or somebody they know. By which time it will be too late.

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

One of the big problems is that people just don't believe what politicians tell them. Let's face it, that should come as no surprise. I think that, in Scotland, Nicola is slightly more trusted than Boris is but she is still a politician. A huge amount of folk just won't believe them until coronavirus hits themselves or somebody they know. By which time it will be too late.

Ā 

Ā 

I agree but you'd need to be daft not to pay attention to what the government are saying right now.Ā 

Surely anyone with half a brain can distinguish between the usual flannel a politician gives you about how great they are and how crap the opposition is and what they are telling us to do now?

I suppose there will always be unionists that will never listen to Sturgeon and Labour voters that would never listen to Boris.

Maybe they should get Ant & Dec to do these announcements.Ā ā˜ŗļø

Ā 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree but you'd need to be daft not to pay attention to what the government are saying right now.Ā 

Surely anyone with half a brain can distinguish between the usual flannel a politician gives you about how great they are and how crap the opposition is and what they are telling us to do now?

I suppose there will always be unionists that will never listen to Sturgeon and Labour voters that would never listen to Boris.

Maybe they should get Ant & Dec to do these announcements.Ā ā˜ŗļø

Ā 

The damage to the economy will be dramatic. Anyone who thinks the UKĀ conservative government is over reacting or exaggerating Ā needs their heads tested. From a financial perspectiveĀ this is their worst nightmare.Ā Ā 

20 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its pretty much written in doric

I think itā€™s odd when people try to write in an accent, like that.

ā€™Niverā€™ instead of ā€˜never.ā€™

ā€™Naebodyā€™ instead of ā€˜nobody.ā€™

ā€™Deeinā€™ instead of ā€˜doing.ā€™

Ā 

An accent when we speak is usually natural or subconscious, and for many of us, learned at an early age, so not something that we have much control over. Going to the trouble of trying to write (made up) words in an accent is strange though.

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

Ā 

An accent when we speak is usually natural or subconscious, and for many of us, learned at an early age, so not something that we have much control over. Going to the trouble of trying to write (made up) words in an accent is strange though.

Doric isn't an accent ya daft gype.

Ā 

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Going to the trouble of trying to write (made up) words in an accent is strange though.

I agree, all made up words should be banned.Ā 

In desperate times, such as these, when people are literally collapsing and passing away, we should be worried about what people type. Its whats really important.

Edited by kumnio

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

Ā 

Its a dialect, even argued that its, its own language, we were taught how to write and speak doric from an early age, so I donā€™t really get where you are coming from, when i amĀ messaging Ā friends i will write in doric, its not made up words, thats just ignorance to think such