Coronavirus - Page 51 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

9 hours ago, wanderer said:

Problem with the crowds is, they are encouraging people to stay active (they say go out and get exercise) and on Friday night my wife made the comment "lets head up to Loch Lomand with the kids on Sunday and go for a woodland walk away from all the crowds".... Sunday morning we open our curtain to see Seamill beach more crowded at 10am on a Sunday morning in March, than it ever is in the height of summer, and yesterday I popped along to Asda to get a loaf of bread (that was actually probably the one encouraging thing I noticed yesterday that the supermarket shelves are starting to get back to some kind of normality) but the road from Seamill to Ardrossan was just packed with people out walking, and later on saw photos of scenes in Troon and Largs.

That is the issue here is that people think they are following the instructions the government are giving them, problem is EVERYONE is following them all at the same time (London for example, people probably thinking "no point heading to Oxford Street, so I will head long to Hyde/Richmond/Regents Park") and its just defeating the whole purpose.

Yes but in the same statements they do say about keeping distance etc.Ā 

I think some people are going for that reason but not listeningĀ to the most important bit about keeping their distance.

If it's crowdedĀ stay clear.

It's a mixture of selective hearing and/or stupidity/ignorance/selfishness/arroganceĀ etc.

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

Yes but in the same statements they do say about keeping distance etc.Ā 

I think some people are going for that reason but not listeningĀ to the most important bit about keeping their distance.

If it's crowdedĀ stay clear.

It's a mixture of selective hearing and/or stupidity/ignorance/selfishness/arroganceĀ etc.

Yep, I think peopleā€™s intentions are good, but seems to be a case of ā€œwe have come this far....ā€ when really they should be just heading back home.

North Ayrshire Council effectively put Largs seafront on lockdown this afternoon.

My friends sister received this. May or may nor be useful.

The below extract was sent to all hospital workers at the Princess Of Wales Hospital.

I thought I would share with you all to help with your preventative measures.

Ā 

Ā 

This is the advice given to hospital staff.

It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.

Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Ā 

Virus Detection:

Ā 

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.

The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.

The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.

Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Ā 

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Ā 

Prevention:

The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80Ā°F (27Ā°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.

Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ā 

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

Ā 

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.

The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.

If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.

When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.

The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.

Washing your hands is essential.

The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.

You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.

Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

I got my letter from the NHS today saying I'm highly vulnerable & total isolation for 12 weeks minimum; not even supposed to walk near my garden fence! I'm a week in to doing it anyway, but you're supposed to register as a vulnerable individual & ... well, I don't know. They reckon I can ask for help with shopping, prescriptions, etc. I don't need it as I have people bringing supplies but wonder what will be available to people who really are alone?

On a more positive note, my local is arranging delivery of 4 pint jugs of real ale, discounted by 50p/pint, so I don't really need food from this point on.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

This theory is fake news ,fibrosis is not a symptom of coronavirus and being able to hold your breath for 10 secs will notĀ confirm or deny the presence of the virus unfortunately there area lot of "experts" out there and a lot of crap sailing around tinternet

just read the rest of it there is some more fake news in it as well

In a nutshell keep your distance and keep washing your hands

Edited by davierobbsagod

6 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

This theory is fake news ,fibrosis is not a symptom of coronavirus and being able to hold your breath for 10 secs will notĀ confirm or deny the presence of the virus unfortunately there area lot of "experts" out there and a lot of crap sailing around tinternet

just read the rest of it there is some more fake news in it as well

In a nutshell keep your distance and keep washing your hands

šŸ˜ In that case you should all file it underā€™ may not be usefulā€™Ā 

Tbh it came from someone I would not expect to peddle shite. As you say, its a minefield and difficult to work out the truth from lies. Ā Ā 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

šŸ˜ In that case you should all file it underā€™ may not be usefulā€™Ā 

Tbh it came from someone I would not expect to peddle shite. As you say, its a minefield and difficult to work out the truth from lies. Ā Ā 

zacktly.....its like endless chain letters of duff info, do your own research .its all out there and make your own mind up

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

So , do we think people are goingĀ to adhere to this lockdown?Ā 
How will they monitor the once a day exercise or supermarket visits ?Ā 
They will probably be heaving again tomorrow after this.

Not a chance

Itll be army and more police on the streets next because the morons will still go out

we have changed our shopping habits completely instead of going with a list as we normally would we go and see whats there and our meals are based on what we get .

went for a walk yesterday and every tesco express/sainsburys local and co-op we passed we would go in and have a look I've never been so pleased for such a long time when I found a bag of bread flour.....down to the last sachet of yeast tho......

When a lockdown is not a lockdown.... pre-recorded message, and unlike Nicola who took questions, and still had the nerve to break into a chuckle half way through it.

Parks allowed to stay open, no limit of public transports, airports and ports allowed to stay open, and only in place for 3 weeks (initially).

People still allowed to go to work,Ā with nothing at all on what constitutes ā€œessentialā€ work, only work that can not be done from home.... so London Underground will still be packed tomorrow.

Whole part about the NHS at the start stank of shock and awe tactics (given how much using the NHS as his barging chip in EU referendum) to just get the message across to not go out, with the bit about extra police efforts.

The exercise bit i think is very important. I went out for a walk on the cycle trackĀ with my daughter yesterday as I had been stuck on a seat in my living room for 9 hours everyĀ day last week with only a break to go to the toilet. I was feeling awfulĀ and desperately needed some exercise.Ā 
I know the way I was feeling is trivial in comparison to what is going on Ā but other healthĀ problems will arise if this goes on a while.Ā 
People should use the time they areĀ allowed but Ā do soĀ responsibly.Ā 

I walked 21km today as well, hardly saw anyone really, been refining a good route with minimum amount of people as thought this might happen sooner. Friday walking round linlithgow loch was like it was the start of london marathon so had to find new places to go. If it rains i'm fucked though as was a bit muddy in places and thats with 4 dry days in a row.