Coronavirus - Page 50 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Doesn't almost everyone have a degree these days?

I didn't go to university (straight down the mines at age 13). Does that make me below average intelligence?

I have a degree gained at 29 when went to University -  qualification i value the least

University is a shoe in, so i agree with you  

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Looks like 281 now for UK, v 366. Hopefully an indication of a slow down.

I hope so, but not confident. Could just be a blip in the stats. We are still at relatively low numbers so is easy to skew the stats one way or the other. 

On 2/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, Orraloon said:

Starting to look like it is past the peak. As long there are no more major upward spikes in the next 3 weeks it should hopefully start to fizzle out. 

Ah, I remember this classic post. "Starting to look like it is past the peak."

8 hours ago, phart said:

I guess in some ways it shows that in spite of the passing of generations & everything that has brought with it, human nature is fundamentally much as it ever was. I studied the Black Death in some detail a few years ago & you can see many echoes of a 14th Century response...God-botherers & assorted characters telling everyone they have to change their ways (and, of course, buy into their particular solution); quacks selling various cures; mystics selling/promoting protective devices. In desperate times, people cling onto anything they think gives them hope.

I know of at least one person (medically qualified in fact but ever more into 'alternative' stuff these days) who is telling everyone they will be fine if they increase their intake of a particular batch of herbs.

As we've said before, I think the problem nowadays is that there's probably too much information & whilst the peddlers would wander into your village, sell their wares & be gone before you pegged it, nowadays they can reach your virtual village alongside a cacophany of others with their own theories which may or may not flirt with any sort of truth.

The problem we've got here and why no one listened over the weekend is that the Governments and specifically Boris Johnsons message is full of ambiguity.

The reason that they and particularly he is so hesitant to close everything down is because he is so aware of legacy and history. In years to come when people analyse this crisis he doesn't want to be remembered as the PM that shut Britain down and removed peoples basic freedoms, it's utterly selfish but that is who he is as a man.

Problem with the crowds is, they are encouraging people to stay active (they say go out and get exercise) and on Friday night my wife made the comment "lets head up to Loch Lomand with the kids on Sunday and go for a woodland walk away from all the crowds".... Sunday morning we open our curtain to see Seamill beach more crowded at 10am on a Sunday morning in March, than it ever is in the height of summer, and yesterday I popped along to Asda to get a loaf of bread (that was actually probably the one encouraging thing I noticed yesterday that the supermarket shelves are starting to get back to some kind of normality) but the road from Seamill to Ardrossan was just packed with people out walking, and later on saw photos of scenes in Troon and Largs.

That is the issue here is that people think they are following the instructions the government are giving them, problem is EVERYONE is following them all at the same time (London for example, people probably thinking "no point heading to Oxford Street, so I will head long to Hyde/Richmond/Regents Park") and its just defeating the whole purpose.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

John Mason is a god fearing, selfish prick.

I'd rather the SNP lost a seat than have that cunt retain it again.

Just read about this on Twitter, he really is an absolute fucking cretin.