Coronavirus - Page 47 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

You were suggesting people shouldn’t be gardening or having barbecues and I was pointing out that it is fine to do these things. 

I didn’t know you meant they weren’t social distancing as well (although I’m not sure how you knew this about the alleged barbecuer as you only smelled it). This wasn’t clear from your tone. Or if it was I completely missed it. 

The thing is that the government actually want some people to start catching the virus so it passes through the population slowly and steadily so they are actually relying on some people not following their advice. Not that they would ever admit this.  

Has anyone ever referred to you as a pedant?

18 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Quite right. There was an old guy at one of the shops wearing a face mask and gloves

Just back from Morrisons in Johnstone . An old guy was wearing a mask and blue surgical gloves. A month ago folk would have been stopped and stared.  Today no-one batted an eyelid. 

Thing is he was the only one in the shop wearing them. I am surprised supermarkets aren't encouraging their check out staff to wear gloves at least. For their own protection as much as anyone else's. Scanning every food item must increase the chances of it being passed on. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Just back from Morrisons in Johnstone . An old guy was wearing a mask and blue surgical gloves. A month ago folk would have been stopped and stared.  Today no-one batted an eyelid. 

Thing is he was the only one in the shop wearing them. I am surprised supermarkets aren't encouraging their check out staff to wear gloves at least. For their own protection as much as anyone else's. Scanning every food item must increase the chances of it being passed on. 

Not really sure what extra protection using gloves gives you over and above proper hand washing.  Presumably if you touch your face wearing gloves then you have same level of risk 

i suppose it lessens the chances of you passing it on if you have it though.

Edited by aaid

41 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Give it another week or max two and you will all be staring at anyone not wearing a mask.

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Doesn't almost everyone have a degree these days?

I didn't go to university (straight down the mines at age 13). Does that make me below average intelligence?

Around 35% of people go to uni these days I think. I was more referring to the fact that it was Oxford he went to. I’m pretty sure it’s ranked as the best university in the world. 

I’m not sure if you’re below average intelligence or not. Not going to university does not mean that you are but stupid people do not get a 2.1 from Oxford. I’m also fairly sure it would be very difficult to become the UK Prime Minister if you are of below average intelligence. We leave that sort of thing to the Americans.

Please don’t take this as me liking BJ by the way. I hate the prick. 

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not really sure what extra protection using gloves gives you over and above proper hand washing.  Presumably if you touch your face wearing gloves then you have same level of risk 

i suppose it lessens the chances of you passing it on if you have it though.

Masks aren’t that effective either. You’re just as likely, if not more so, to contract the virus through your eyes so unless you’re wearing goggles as well the mask won’t do you much good. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Masks aren’t that effective either. You’re just as likely, if not more so, to contract the virus through your eyes so unless you’re wearing goggles as well the mask won’t do you much good. 

Absolute codswallop. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Being well educated doesn't necessarily mean he's intelligent either.

Yes, he could just have an excellent memory but the fact he was a King’s Scholar at Eton and also managed to become Prime Minister would suggest he is probably pretty intelligent. 

He’s also a bellend and a useless public speaker but that doesn’t mean he’s not intelligent. 

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Is it the same recurring fanny yet again?

6 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Not entirely sure if it's the same one but im leaning towards that theory. The symptoms are definitely present though.  

Are you suggesting I’m Chripper because you disagree with something I posted?

Fuck me, this place is becoming an absolute joke. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn't make it up mate.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

Thanks for your excellent contribution though. 

And the part that says you are more likely to get it through the eyes? 

A quick Google search would suggest a mask would make you five times less likely to be infected through the mouth/nose. I'd say that was pretty substantial.