Coronavirus - Page 46 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, exile said:

To be honest, I am not really sure what the government really thinks or wants, I don't know if they know. For example I don't know how much of the following Johnson believed in, himself.

I’m not sure either to be honest but they certainly should be wanting people to catch it. 

If an effective vaccine is genuinely 18 months away there is no way we can keep up the current measures that long. If we can build up immunity by letting it pass through the population in a controlled way then those that get over the virus can start to get back to some sort of normality again.

Boris Johnson is a bumbling mess on camera but he is actually a very intelligent man as well as being an arsehole. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Folk are padding about here like it's a fuckin bank holiday. Tidying up the garden, taking stuff to the tip, thought I even caught a whiff of barbecue there. 

Can it be possible that people still don't appreciate what's coming? 

What's your problem with folk doing gardening?

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The thing is that the government actually want some people to start catching the virus so it passes through the population slowly and steadily so they are actually relying on some people not following their advice. Not that they would ever admit this.  

The politicians would never admit this, but the medics are a lot more frank.

On Friday there was an interview on the Late Late Show with Ireland's chief medical officer. He was talking about the percentage of the population who will follow the social distancing rules (from memory they're expecting a figure somewhere in the 90's), and he said 'we don't need everyone to follow the rules for this to work'. I remember thinking 'ugh, don't say that mate'.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Boris Johnson is a bumbling mess on camera but he is actually a very intelligent man as well as being an arsehole. 

What's your evidence for that? Please show your workings. 

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

The politicians would never admit this, but the medics are a lot more frank.

On Friday there was an interview on the Late Late Show with Ireland's chief medical officer. He was talking about the percentage of the population who will follow the social distancing rules (from memory they're expecting a figure somewhere in the 90's), and he said 'we don't need everyone to follow the rules for this to work'. I remember thinking 'ugh, don't say that mate'.

I saw someone (British) say they only expect 50% of people to follow the guidance effectively and the measures should still work if this is the case. 50% seems a bit low but there is obviously a percentage that is correct.

They basically want people to get it but at low enough numbers at any given time so the NHS can cope. 

13 minutes ago, phart said:

Seems Cummings is getting the blame as well.

I need to double check the timeline on this but from what I recall, the change in approach seems to coincide with the devolved governments getting directly involved in COBRA meetings and the like.

Sadiq Khan was on Marr this morning, who was pressing him on since London was so far ahead of the curve they hadn't acted quicker.  He didn't flat out say it but he seemed to imply that it was only in the last week since he'd been invited to these meetings that he'd been given the full scale what was happening in London.   He of course is not responsible for health in London.

On 12 March, NS said at FMQs that she would be attending COBRA later that day and that she'd be pushing for a suspension on mass gatherings.   It was after that meeting that she had a press conference where she announced that from this Monday, and the SFA followed suit on Friday by cancelling the football program.    That was when the toys went out the pram from various London based commentators and Tory MPs complaining because she'd had her press conference first - their Scottish counterparts to their credit pretty much told then to shove it.

I'm pretty sure that was the first COBRA meeting that was attended by members of the various devolved governments, until then it had all been UK level.

Whether it's true or not, there is an obvious problem there that information may be being filtered to the devolved governments.   There's also a big difference between being directly involved in the decision making process and just being kept appraised of the situation.

This could coincidental, the change in tack could be down to the change in the rate of spread of the virus or it could be the case of there being different voices in the room from different parties and different countries.

I really don't think this is the time for the various governments to start having a public slanging match, that helps absolutely no-one.   The UK and Scottish Governments are going out of their way to avoid that and it's probably the right thing to do.

The inevitable public enquiry will be interesting though.

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I saw someone (British) say they only expect 50% of people to follow the guidance effectively and the measures should still work if this is the case. 50% seems a bit low but there is obviously a percentage that is correct.

They basically want people to get it but at low enough numbers at any given time so the NHS can cope. 

75% is the number I've seen quoted from different sources.

9 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

What's your evidence for that? Please show your workings. 

He got a 2.1 from Oxford. Money and privilege can get you into Oxford but if he was as daft as he appears he’d have got a Desmond or a Thora Hird. 

Being intelligent doesn’t necessarily mean he is a suitable Prime Minister of course but it’s better than having a dumbass in charge I suppose. 

34 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It will be hard in the current climate to get any in the shops but if you can try and get disposable medical gloves and wear them when you are outside

I look after my Dad who is 88 so i have half a box worth's left - you usually get 100 in a box

That's better advice than masks IMO

Was thinking the same, although the ones I have are not medical standard just powdered! latex ones. To make them last longer I plan on just wearing one when out and about and using that gloved hand for holding shopping baskets, pressing lift buttons etc...

Between that and the mask however the temptation to constantly grab my crotch while shouting Shamone! is overwhelming.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I need to double check the timeline on this but from what I recall, the change in approach seems to coincide with the devolved governments getting directly involved in COBRA meetings and the like.

Sadiq Khan was on Marr this morning, who was pressing him on since London was so far ahead of the curve they hadn't acted quicker.  He didn't flat out say it but he seemed to imply that it was only in the last week since he'd been invited to these meetings that he'd been given the full scale what was happening in London.   He of course is not responsible for health in London.

On 12 March, NS said at FMQs that she would be attending COBRA later that day and that she'd be pushing for a suspension on mass gatherings.   It was after that meeting that she had a press conference where she announced that from this Monday, and the SFA followed suit on Friday by cancelling the football program.    That was when the toys went out the pram from various London based commentators and Tory MPs complaining because she'd had her press conference first - their Scottish counterparts to their credit pretty much told then to shove it.

I'm pretty sure that was the first COBRA meeting that was attended by members of the various devolved governments, until then it had all been UK level.

Whether it's true or not, there is an obvious problem there that information may be being filtered to the devolved governments.   There's also a big difference between being directly involved in the decision making process and just being kept appraised of the situation.

This could coincidental, the change in tack could be down to the change in the rate of spread of the virus or it could be the case of there being different voices in the room from different parties and different countries.

I really don't think this is the time for the various governments to start having a public slanging match, that helps absolutely no-one.   The UK and Scottish Governments are going out of their way to avoid that and it's probably the right thing to do.

The inevitable public enquiry will be interesting though.

There was also new models released by Imperial college as well, which maybe informed the discussion.

No energy by important decision makers should be expended at the blame game atm, once we get passed this though there should be a huge public enquiry. IMO ofc.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

He got a 2.1 from Oxford. Money and privilege can get you into Oxford but if he was as daft as he appears he’d have got a Desmond or a Thora Hird. 

Being intelligent doesn’t necessarily mean he is a suitable Prime Minister of course but it’s better than having a dumbass in charge I suppose. 

Doesn't almost everyone have a degree these days?

I didn't go to university (straight down the mines at age 13). Does that make me below average intelligence?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Being well educated doesn't necessarily mean he's intelligent either.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

There was also new models released by Imperial college as well, which maybe informed the discussion.

No energy by important decision makers should be expended at the blame game atm, once we get passed this though there should be a huge public enquiry. IMO ofc.

That definitely fed into the decision making process.   I'm not for a minute suggesting that Nicola Sturgeon got on the phone and took charge but more wondering if having a load of different people with totally different perspectives in the room introduced a different dynamic into the decision making process.

One thing about Cummings, seems he was one of the main advocates of the herd immunity concept, flipped completely on reading the Imperial College report and is now behind a complete lockdown.   He's apparently the one responsible for the unattributed briefings about old people being locked in their houses for four months and a total lockdown of London being imminent.

On one hand, its very good to change your mind on something when you are given new information but I'm not sure this level of instability is really whats required so close to the heart of government.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

That definitely fed into the decision making process.   I'm not for a minute suggesting that Nicola Sturgeon got on the phone and took charge but more wondering if having a load of different people with totally different perspectives in the room introduced a different dynamic into the decision making process.

One thing about Cummings, seems he was one of the main advocates of the herd immunity concept, flipped completely on reading the Imperial College report and is now behind a complete lockdown.   He's apparently the one responsible for the unattributed briefings about old people being locked in their houses for four months and a total lockdown of London being imminent.

On one hand, its very good to change your mind on something when you are given new information but I'm not sure this level of instability is really whats required so close to the heart of government.

Certainly the Sunday Times report gives the impression that Cummings was driving the original strategy, then when realising the problem realised the need for the U-turn. As such you could say that is decisive/leadership, not sure where that puts Johnson, or the government as a whole and mainstream media who tend to give the impression all is/was well and there was no U-turn.

Briefing now from Nicola Sturgeon - 10 people have now died, an increase of 3 since yesterday. They have called on the military to help transport someone from an island...

Emergency powers to close pubs etc, in days, but ask to stop doing it now

Ferry companies no longer to take non essential travellers

Hotels to stop taking bookings

Employers to ruthlessly restrict those they want to call key workers

Stuff about childcare, school assessment, shielding & isolation

Advice from medical officer...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-51987906

Edited by exile

The wrong model led them to sitting on their hands for so long? FFS these clowns remind me of the daft cunts who drive into rivers because their sat-nav told them to.

All you needed was eyes in your head to see what was coming (all those helpful countries getting ravaged ahead of us was the minor clue) and that the UK's non-response was total lunacy. I am just a punter on the TAMB and it was obvious weeks ago what needed to be done but not to these clowns...

This is definitely going to costs a lot more lives in the UK than had it been taken seriously (when it was bloody obvious it was serious).