Coronavirus - Page 43 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

I've seen figures for coronavirus-related deaths as

• 220 in England
  • 7 in Scotland
  • 5 in Wales
  • 1 in Northern Ireland.

From my rough hunch England is proportionately higher and Northern Ireland lower than one might expect from population. Presumably to do with clustering down south and SE England being closer to the continent and N Ireland being more isolated? Since the health/lockdown policies are not much different between these countries? If so there could be case for more lockdown and travel restrictions?

Edited by exile

15 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Are we allowed to question official releases?

(Just asking.)

Yes but mental conspiracy theorist loonies usually derail everything

22 minutes ago, exile said:

• 220 in England
  • 7 in Scotland
  • 5 in Wales
  • 1 in Northern Ireland.

From my rough hunch England is proportionately higher and Northern Ireland lower than one might expect from population. Presumably to do with clustering down south and SE England being closer to the continent and N Ireland being more isolated? Since the health/lockdown policies are not much different between these countries? If so there could be case for more lockdown and travel restrictions?

Yes

England is a far larger travel hub meaning more first exposure to infected people coming in but as it is infectious as fuck it is more reasonable to expect that smaller population density may just take a bit longer to catch up

Think the horse bolted a couple of weeks ago regarding travel restrictions but after the fiasco today it's a neccessity in the short term

https://twitter.com/i/status/1241313715665985536

NEW: Boris Johnson initiated a partial shutdown only after Macron threatened to close the border, warning that the rest of Europe would follow suit. ā€œWe clearly had to threaten him so that he would finally move.ā€

Edited by Ally Bongo

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

England is a far larger travel hub meaning more first exposure to infected people coming in but as it is infectious as fuck it is more reasonable to expect that smaller population density may just take a bit longer to catch up

Think the horse bolted a couple of weeks ago regarding travel restrictions but after the fiasco today it's a neccessity in the short term

The virus is also moving north so it makes sense that England would have it worse than us to begin with.Ā 

Some insight into the behind the scenes confusion, chaos and incompetence....

10 Days That Changed Britain: "Heated" Debate Between Scientists Forced Boris Johnson To Act On Coronavirus

A sobering thought that we are in their hands.

And that the mainstream media is not holding them to account, or even clarifying what's going on.

Edited by exile

My missus is a nurse manager in the A+E department of our local hospital in Dublin. She's been working nightshift since Monday.

Every day i get an update from her, but talking to her tonight was quite sobering. Said she can see the fear in her colleagues faces. They've already had to make some heartbreaking 'do not resuscitate' decisions that would have otherwise been straightforward if not for the crisis.

Said staff morale is on the floor, and some of her colleagues will need counselling when all this is over.Ā :unsure:

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

My missus is a nurse manager in the A+E department of our local hospital in Dublin. She's been working nightshift since Monday.

Every day i get an update from her, but talking to her tonight was quite sobering. Said she can see the fear in her colleagues faces. They've already had to make some heartbreaking 'do not resuscitate' decisions that would have otherwise been straightforward if not for the crisis.

Said staff morale is on the floor, and some of her colleagues will need counselling when all this is over.Ā :unsure:

God Bless each and every one of them!

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

That must be awful for her, and you, and everyone. At least they have the consolation that everyone - from politicans to public - is doing their best and taking the best advice the world has to offer. I dread to think what will happen here.

Salut

last thirty six ours were massive for cases and deaths in Europe. Italy is ahead on the curve for social multi generational culture and Switzerland is for having their armed, bunkered and tested population. In the uk we have provisions for the privileged with assumption the labour will be done .Ā 
Ā 

popcorn

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

From FB

Glasgow already seeing the effects - probably why Nicola has been as sombre the last 24 hours

Image may contain: possible text that says 'From intensive care nurse, know tonight Glasgow just finished an ITU shift. So much week, number of very sick coronavirus patients overwhelming. to equipment. capacity enough ITU through the We worked as hard as we still strong could. My number people my journey morning seeing the the and on the but people aren't We won't single person takes home! We are all in people's jobs risk hard. responsibility and financial hardship, if saw what understood this only shift and beginning, yourself: please please you needed to at home unless frontline." Go gently be safe don't be fanner denier flame'

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

From FB

Glasgow already seeing the effects - probably why Nicola has been as sombre the last 24 hours

Image may contain: possible text that says 'From intensive care nurse, know tonight Glasgow just finished an ITU shift. So much week, number of very sick coronavirus patients overwhelming. to equipment. capacity enough ITU through the We worked as hard as we still strong could. My number people my journey morning seeing the the and on the but people aren't We won't single person takes home! We are all in people's jobs risk hard. responsibility and financial hardship, if saw what understood this only shift and beginning, yourself: please please you needed to at home unless frontline." Go gently be safe don't be fanner denier flame'

Ā 

Sorry to go off topic but do people call the Underground/subway in Glasgow the "tube"? I've heard it used occasionally (but never ever 'Clockwork Orange')

Edited by exile

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A local pub in my home town defied the orders to close too. People who.messaged the pub were told to fuck off. These types of utter cretins are what will cause martial law.

They should be reported to licencing authorities. I doubt we have theĀ  police resources to raid the establishments. I don't think it will be long before we see the army on the streets.Ā 

8 hours ago, exile said:

• 220 in England
  • 7 in Scotland
  • 5 in Wales
  • 1 in Northern Ireland.

I think that's right...if you split the figures into London/SE & 'everywhere else' you'd have a major imbalance. I can't pin down any stats on deaths by region, but if you assume that it's a rough proportion of cases then something like 75%+ of deaths so far are either in London or areas that are generally commuter zones for London. Of course, that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't a week or two behind, but the population density there must be a factor.