Coronavirus - Page 39 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

New Italy numbers

Nearly 6000 new cases in the last day and 627 new deaths.

To put that in perspective (if you accept their numbers) China now has 6569 active cases across their whole country with total deaths 3248. 

edit: whoah WTF the italy new cases number just changed to 15,147 new cases in the last day!

Edited by thplinth

26 minutes ago, exile said:

Have people seen this. Can anyone comment and verify if it's roughly right lines?

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance

• It emphasises the need to act fast
  • It highlights that even if you personally don't fall foul of the virus, anyone needing hospital treatment could be in trouble
  • If you were fighting the actual Nazis, you wouldn't just let them take over the continent, on the basis you could fight back later; no, you'd fight them every inch of the way.

This doesn't end till we get a vaccine which is where the 18 month timeline comes from.

These measures are too late but it;s only to buy time so they cant get an effective treatment, everytime we relax the quarantine it will come roaring back.

UK now has a steeper death curve than Italy and we're 13 days behind where they are.

Edited by phart

21 minutes ago, exile said:

Coronavirus: South Korea’s success in controlling disease is due to its acceptance of surveillance

An interesting article about how South Korea dealt with things, not by locking down, but by tracking those infected. 

Seems much more advanced, 21st century solution, albeit with cost of surveillance. 

The UK seems to have been stuck on 'muddling through'

Yeah test track trace and break i think it's called. Test everyone, track where it's moving, trace infection lines then break them using isolation.

1 hour ago, phart said:

This doesn't end till we get a vaccine which is where the 18 month timeline comes from.

These measures are too late but it;s only to buy time so they cant get an effective treatment, everytime we relax the quarantine it will come roaring back.

UK now has a steeper death curve than Italy and we're 13 days behind where they are.

It's hard to keep up where we are and were. I heard from Italy things were grim 13 days ago, now that's already us. Now in Italy convoys going down the street with the dead. 

Video shows Italian army trucks transporting coffins from Italy's worst-hit city to remote cremation sites because morgues can't cope with more coronavirus deaths

Is this us in a fortnight?   

But of course it's tragic right now. 

Already hospitals in London are struggling to cope with numbers:

London hospitals struggle to cope with coronavirus surge NHS running short of critical care beds after fifteenfold ‘explosion’ in patients

Not looking good

Edited by exile

8 minutes ago, exile said:

It's hard to keep up where we are and were. I heard from Italy things were grim 13 days ago, now that's already us. Now in Italy convoys going down the street with the dead. 

Video shows Italian army trucks transporting coffins from Italy's worst-hit city to remote cremation sites because morgues can't cope with more coronavirus deaths

Is this us in a fortnight?   But of course it's tragic right now. 

Just saw this on facebook.

38 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Not often I say this but fair play to him...

(the Tory chancellor,  not Stan Collymore).

It's the least they could do and let's be honest, they're systematic dismantling and under funding of the NHS in the last 10 years is about to come home to roost in the next few months. The NHS can barely cope with normal winter pressures for fuck sake, the next few months are going to be on a scale we could never have imagined.

46 minutes ago, Mox said:

It's the least they could do and let's be honest, they're systematic dismantling and under funding of the NHS in the last 10 years is about to come home to roost in the next few months. The NHS can barely cope with normal winter pressures for fuck sake, the next few months are going to be on a scale we could never have imagined.

They have been doing that for a very long time.

I fear the UK is about to harvest 30 years of of corruption. Obviously most of my family is there so no gloating on my part.

3 hours ago, Terry Munro said:
BREAKING. UK Government announces wages will be paid 80% of salary of every worker for 3 months. No limit on funding for the scheme.

That's not the case - the 80% salary is only paid if workers are furloughed - eg employers have no work for an employee but they keep them employed, the employer can then seek 80% of the wage for all the time the employee is not working but then commit to having work for them again. 

If your employer continues to have work for employees and employees continue to work on a day to day basis then the employer will not benefit from this support. 

34 minutes ago, thplinth said:

They have been doing that for a very long time.

I fear the UK is about to harvest 30 years of of corruption. Obviously most of my family is there so no gloating on my part.

I think you are probably right.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, slasher said:

Thank you so much for all the DM's and messages of support. I appear to have run out of up votes for today however be assured I appreciate the sentiment behind every one of them. Thank you so much ❤️

I especially liked the post above. I can think of nothing better humper! 

I don't post much on here but chin up mate

It occurs to me that it might be as well that Labour didn't win the UK election - if they had - then some Tories would've kicked up at all the current spending if they had tried to bring this or similar policies in.

I'm not saying Boris is great or anything - but, it's hard to attack him from the "right" on this.

Edited by Lobey

Imagine if there had been no General Election 2019...

- There would still be a hung parliament

- We might be still in the EU...  co-operating with EU partners on diseases etc. 

- There could be a government of national unity?

- Or at least, the opposition could force through Corbynite welfare policies...?

- Or Jo Swinson might allow Corbyn to be a caretaker PM leading a rainbow coaltion...

- Boris Johnson would be history...

As I said on another thread Ive had all the symptoms and been self isolating since Wednesday. Persistent dry cough.tight chest .can breathe normally but cant take a deep breath .body really warm but dont have a thermometer to test. Fingers crossed Im only mildly affected .its nothing like manflu at all..im still working from home .mentally fine but physically a wee bit under the weather. Strangely enough I know one other person who has had it and 2 others currently suffering from it ..all in different locations but the commonality is the restricted breathing. In the absence of testing .im of the view that its much more prevalent thanmedia would have us believe. Hopefully it stays mild effects like 4 out of 5 of people affected..but although im relatively fit .the tight chest makes you aware of how much more serious it can be for those with underlying conditions. Only got 3.5 bog rolls and a box of man size tissues left till next Wednesday.

Edited by irnbruman

4 hours ago, Rohan said:

Death toll of all closed cases currently at 11%

Worth pointing out that all the medics still estimate the death rate to be 1% or less. This is because loads of cases are going unreported. We'll see how accurate they are in the fullness of time i suppose.

8 hours ago, irnbruman said:

As I said on another thread Ive had all the symptoms and been self isolating since Wednesday. Persistent dry cough.tight chest .can breathe normally but cant take a deep breath .body really warm but dont have a thermometer to test. Fingers crossed Im only mildly affected .its nothing like manflu at all..im still working from home .mentally fine but physically a wee bit under the weather. Strangely enough I know one other person who has had it and 2 others currently suffering from it ..all in different locations but the commonality is the restricted breathing. In the absence of testing .im of the view that its much more prevalent thanmedia would have us believe. Hopefully it stays mild effects like 4 out of 5 of people affected..but although im relatively fit .the tight chest makes you aware of how much more serious it can be for those with underlying conditions. Only got 3.5 bog rolls and a box of man size tissues left till next Wednesday.

Glad to hear it sounds like you'll come through it OK...just hope the symptoms are gone before the bog roll. Look after yourself & get well soon :)

9 hours ago, irnbruman said:

I am guessing that once the pandemic has calmed down and epidemiologists have had a chance to crunch all the numbers ( probably about two years from now), we will find that the UK is currently undercounting the number of cases by a factor of at least 50. Maybe more.

Now this might seem a daft question but what's with the bog roll obsession. Apart from the obvious, what do folk need all that bog roll for? In about 3 weeks time you be either recovered or past caring about bogroll. 3.5 should be plenty. You might want to start rationing early though. :lol:

You will need to post on here every day now otherwise we will start to think the worst. Keep your spirits up and get well soon. There are loads of golf courses out there waiting for you.

Edited by Orraloon

9 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Look after yourself!! And don’t disappear if you Survive :lol:

When***

Edited by ParisInAKilt