Coronavirus - Page 38 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

27 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

My wife's due a baby in 3/4 weeks so trying to keep her at the house and away from the public at the moment as shes also had a previous illness that has weakened her immune system and she has had lung/asthma problems in relation to this. Unfortunately it seems that the baby will be born around the peek of the virus here. 

I’m sure it will turn out just fine, but all the best. As if bringing a baby into the world wasn’t stressful enough! 

21 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

Rumour tonight at work is that there is going to be an announcement tomorrow at at 5pm of an immediate 15 day lockdown.  Work for one of the largest manufacturing sites in the country and information like this which is leaked by the union is usually pretty reliable. 

Good one.

25 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I see the old “my source tells me” was pish yet again. Nothing locked down, no army on the streets. I don’t know, never see me quoting “my source tells me”. 

we will be locked down on monday, announcement with be sunday afternoon, i have no source just my gut feeling, its inevitable 

3 minutes ago, Slide tackle said:

So the UK death toll is growing faster than any other country has at this point barring Spain?

If I follow it correctly, yes, but not only that, it's higher than China and Italy ever were, and we have had extra weeks to act, while watching it unfold there. 

29 minutes ago, Slide tackle said:

So the UK death toll is growing faster than any other country has at this point barring Spain?

Probably not

There are many countries not testing even to the meagre levels the UK is

Brazil is one to watch out for - it could be horrific

I think we have to be slightly cautious with that type of graph...all it actually records is known & recorded cases. In somewhere like Italy, Spain, here, that's going to be fairly accurate due to systems of post mortem, etc. But in some other countries, I have little doubt that people will have died, & probably continue to do so, in the most impoverished areas in particular, without putting in an appearance in any official statistics.

Plus we know that China was, shall we say, a little slow of the mark when it came to going public with its problem.

10 hours ago, Slide tackle said:

The UK strategy so far is only to test those who have been admitted to hospital, so effectively the data only tells us the death rate for those who have had symptoms serious enough to be admitted into hospital.

Possibly a good benchmark for the actual death rate in Europe is Germany, as they are testing more than any other country in Europe, and their death rate is about 0.2 to 0.3%.

However, they have 25,000 ventilators in Germany (population: 84M), as opposed to 5,900 in the UK, (population: 64M) so they are able to provide better and more widespread treatment. The underfunding of the NHS is about to be seriously exposed!

It's an evolving situation though, every day brings new data and knowledge on the behaviour of the virus. There are also a lot of social circumstances to consider. In parts of Italy for example, it's normal for 2 or 3 generations of a family to be staying in the same house, so greater exposure to the elderly.

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I just noticed the "Truth" about Coronavirus thread has been removed ...... 

Was there any announcement about who did it and why? Very odd, surely? 

Aren't threads usually locked or a moderator will tell us what happened? 

Have people seen this. Can anyone comment and verify if it's roughly right lines?

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance

• It emphasises the need to act fast
  • It highlights that even if you personally don't fall foul of the virus, anyone needing hospital treatment could be in trouble
  • If you were fighting the actual Nazis, you wouldn't just let them take over the continent, on the basis you could fight back later; no, you'd fight them every inch of the way.
Edited by exile

Coronavirus: South Korea’s success in controlling disease is due to its acceptance of surveillance

An interesting article about how South Korea dealt with things, not by locking down, but by tracking those infected. 

Seems much more advanced, 21st century solution, albeit with cost of surveillance. 

The UK seems to have been stuck on 'muddling through'