Coronavirus - Page 36 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

10 hours ago, slasher said:

I had to visit Hairmyres hospital tonight to say goodbye to my terminally ill mum. (not corona related) It was an eerie experience with the place on lockdown and the doomsday feel wasn't helped by the army trucks we saw in Motherwell on the way home. 

Ive implored my wife to stay home from work and she's finally agreed. Everyone should stay at home if they can for now..... not possible for all I know. Good luck to everybody and try to stay positive 👍

That's truly heart breaking pal 😥 

11 hours ago, fringo said:

You know that's not what I meant. 😁

I see what you mean though but under the current situation that means a higher % of the most vulnerable are in Europe.

Not really. Means folk in Europe are generally fitter - therefore they live longer.

I'd hazard a guess at a 70 year old in Italy being fitter than say your average 60 year old yank.

11 hours ago, slasher said:

I had to visit Hairmyres hospital tonight to say goodbye to my terminally ill mum. (not corona related) It was an eerie experience with the place on lockdown and the doomsday feel wasn't helped by the army trucks we saw in Motherwell on the way home. 

Ive implored my wife to stay home from work and she's finally agreed. Everyone should stay at home if they can for now..... not possible for all I know. Good luck to everybody and try to stay positive 👍

Really sorry to hear that mate, keep safe, keep your family close and hopefully we'll have a sense of normality back in the not too distant future.  

11 hours ago, slasher said:

That is horrendous my man, much love to you and your family.

I'm not one for these things but at the end of this, I'd love a beer with the guys on this thread, Something to look forward to - doesn't even have to be before a Scotland game as we all have our pals that we go to games with.

Can be a night/afternoon in Glasgow/Edinburgh or wherever and just chew the fat over a pint or 8.  This forum could be a place of refuge for many in the coming weeks when things at home etc get on top and folk just need 15 mins to chill!

1 hour ago, Redz said:

Aye, I've seen / heard a few comments in terms of this

Is this legitimate/ What source?

phart posted a link to it a good few pages back in this thread. The jist of it was that the original UK strategy was based on modelling done based on the properties of one of the flu viruses. It didn't take enough account of the differences between that virus and this new coronavirus. That's how I understood it anyway. 

The policy started to change after the publication of different modelling done by some folk at Imperial College which was based more closely on the properties of the actual coronavirus as reported from China, S Korea and Italy.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Scientists, who were sceptical about the government's original approach, had been asking to see how the modelling was done for a while before this new modelling was revealed. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not really. Means folk in Europe are generally fitter - therefore they live longer.

I'd hazard a guess at a 70 year old in Italy being fitter than say your average 60 year old yank.

Good quaility universal healthcare - which is standard in Europe - has more to do with it. 

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not one for these things but at the end of this, I'd love a beer with the guys on this thread, Something to look forward to - doesn't even have to be before a Scotland game as we all have our pals that we go to games with.

Can be a night/afternoon in Glasgow/Edinburgh or wherever and just chew the fat over a pint or 8.  This forum could be a place of refuge for many in the coming weeks when things at home etc get on top and folk just need 15 mins to chill!

Sounds good mate

Sadly, we've already lost one of the members on another forum I use to this virus, he posted last week to tell us he had been diagnosed with cancer and on the same thread his son announced he was dead just a few days later and confirmed it was the coronavirus that killed him, so we'll be having a beer for him when things get back to normal

30 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Sounds good mate

Sadly, we've already lost one of the members on another forum I use to this virus, he posted last week to tell us he had been diagnosed with cancer and on the same thread his son announced he was dead just a few days later and confirmed it was the coronavirus that killed him, so we'll be having a beer for him when things get back to normal

Grim - my gran who's 89 has lung cancer and I'm dreading the cases ramping up here and her catching it as it would end her. Basically only my dad and aunt taking her food now as she is still well enough to live at home. My sister went to visit her at the weekend with my baby niece as it might be last time she get's to see her for a long time, if at all.

Can't imagine how folk feel with worse circumstances, as my families situation is pretty trivial in the wider scale.

Came home yesterday to news that someone from West Kilbride has died as a result of it (though he had been suffering from pneumonia) and he had attended an event at West Kilbride Golf Club on Friday night, which has seen the club put on lock down.

Certainly hit home for us as we live a stones throw from the golf club. 

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Came home yesterday to news that someone from West Kilbride has died as a result of it (though he had been suffering from pneumonia) and he had attended an event at West Kilbride Golf Club on Friday night, which has seen the club put on lock down.

That could be all round the village by now. Pubs would be a real focal point for spreading and then distributing it.

41 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Aye, I was a member there for a over a decade and plenty of my mates still are.

Horrible.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Assuming there are any boozers left...............

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Assuming there are any boozers left...............

Brewdog have said they’ve lost/will lose approx 70% of income overnight  

11 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Apparently the police were called to Iceland in Johnstone today as daft cunts were scrapping over food.

Stuff like this really shows folk up for being self centred dicks

It’s ridiculous, seeing cunts queuing outside these places at 6am. I was in Tesco on Monday night and folk were grabbing stuff out of the trollies before they hit the shelves. Baskets loaded up with meat, bread & milk. A report suggested folk were buying sma baby formula to use in their coffee as it will last longer than milk. 

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Brewdog have said they’ve lost/will lose approx 70% of income overnight  

It’s ridiculous, seeing cunts queuing outside these places at 6am. I was in Tesco on Monday night and folk were grabbing stuff out of the trollies before they hit the shelves. Baskets loaded up with meat, bread & milk. A report suggested folk were buying sma baby formula to use in their coffee as it will last longer than milk. 

If this is true these people should be strung up.