Coronavirus - Page 33 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

A crisis like this should be manna from heaven for a Tory PM. It's what they're meant to be good at. Strong leaders, and all that.

Instead you have the Irish PM channelling Churchill, while the Tories have elected a bumbling clown. An taoiseach FFS :lol:

I think in the modern world the Churchill approach is the LAST thing we need, which unfortunately is the style he's 100% reliant on. People want facts, predictions, reassurance, someone to show they understand, etc., etc...not just standing in the rubble waving two fingers around & saying it'll all be OK because we're British.

21 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I think in the modern world the Churchill approach is the LAST thing we need, which unfortunately is the style he's 100% reliant on. People want facts, predictions, reassurance, someone to show they understand, etc., etc...not just standing in the rubble waving two fingers around & saying it'll all be OK because we're British.

I'm not sure what has changed about crises in the modern world? 

I agree you want someone with substance, but style counts too.

Boris seems to lack both.

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

I'm not sure what has changed about crises in the modern world?

Information, I think...in older times, people knew nothing. In Churchill's times, people 'knew' largely what they were told. Nowadays, you can find any fact, theory, myth or bollocks you want.

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Information, I think...in older times, people knew nothing. In Churchill's times, people 'knew' largely what they were told. Nowadays, you can find any fact, theory, myth or bollocks you want.

Aye, after i posted the question, it occurred to me that that'd be your answer. I think you're right.

As of time of this post in the UK there have been 2626 "known" cases and 71 deaths

There is something they are not letting on about

Edited by Ally Bongo

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As of time of this post in the UK there have been 2626 "known" cases and 71 deaths

I can see London especially being a hotspot could as bad as Italy unfortunately and the masses still travel on the underground madness 

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The truth is that we are only testing those who have been admitted into hospital, so in actual fact we have no clue what the actual numbers are, trends etc.

Also, people in their 30s & 40s in France & Italy with no pathological history are seriously ill are requiring intensive care. Mainland Europe have realised already that this is 'not just the flu' and have put more drastic measures in place. Our government have adopted a 'we know best' attitude based upon advice from medical experts in the UK which are contradicting those produced in mainland Europe.

We are an island, we had the chance to isolate sooner and protect ourselves (border controls, quarantine etc.), but we didn't and I fear this will turn out to be a huge mistake.

24 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I am not a great believer in conspiracy theories but I agree, there is something going on that we are not getting told about. I am not an expert in body language, however, BJ looks a bit shifty when he gives updates. Maybe better not knowing.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye, the real number of actual infections is probably more than 100,000. 

They also seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it quite that the initial modelling was done for a different virus.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm assuming the stats above were from yesterday teatime

As it's now 2626 "known" cases and 104 deaths

Majority of deaths are in London area as Where's the Pies suggested

1 hour ago, Replay said:

The truth is that we are only testing those who have been admitted into hospital, so in actual fact we have no clue what the actual numbers are, trends etc.

Also, people in their 30s & 40s in France & Italy with no pathological history are seriously ill are requiring intensive care. Mainland Europe have realised already that this is 'not just the flu' and have put more drastic measures in place. Our government have adopted a 'we know best' attitude based upon advice from medical experts in the UK which are contradicting those produced in mainland Europe.

We are an island, we had the chance to isolate sooner and protect ourselves (border controls, quarantine etc.), but we didn't and I fear this will turn out to be a huge mistake.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but were the younger deaths in France and Italy, or at least young people in a serious condition, not partly due to the fact they were taking ibuprofen to relieve the symptoms , which actually exacerbated the fever and therefore the illness ? Only paracetamol should be taken I believe. 

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

I can see London especially being a hotspot could as bad as Italy unfortunately and the masses still travel on the underground madness 

There are businesses that still insist that people come into work. Until the Govt says don't, then they have every right to do so. 

Don't blame the people.

Anyway, London is a ghost town - I walked through the city this morning and it was like a Sunday. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but were the younger deaths in France and Italy, or at least young people in a serious condition, not partly due to the fact they were taking ibuprofen to relieve the symptoms , which actually exacerbated the fever and therefore the illness ? Only paracetamol should be taken I believe. 

As far as I know this is a hoax, however, it is known that ibuprofen can make respiratory conditions worse.

Current advice is if you are taking ibuprofen for an existing condition, contact your GP.  If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, take paracetamol (NOT ibuprofen) to reduce your temperature and drink plenty of water.

For the record, the French authorities are advising against taking ibuprofen, which is in line with my point in a previous post about UK sending out different messages to the rest of Europe!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

Nearly 500 new deaths in Italy alone today. 4,200+ new cases in last day.

Ibuprofen is warned against, avoid it but paracetamol is ok. You are now being told to avoid anti inflammatories which ibuprofen is while paracetamol is not.

However I understand you are better to let the fever run as that is your body fighting the attack and apparently fever is a highly evolved response that you are best not to try to abate with paracetamol. Apparently you should just let it run as that helps your body most efficiently fight the attack. Somebody may have posted above on it as I saw something about this recently. And yeah it is the French leading this warning.

50 minutes ago, Replay said:

As far as I know this is a hoax, however, it is known that ibuprofen can make respiratory conditions worse.

Current advice is if you are taking ibuprofen for an existing condition, contact your GP.  If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, take paracetamol (NOT ibuprofen) to reduce your temperature and drink plenty of water.

For the record, the French authorities are advising against taking ibuprofen, which is in line with my point in a previous post about UK sending out different messages to the rest of Europe!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

👍

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Not according to a local medical expert in Tayside who is known to  Dr friend of mine.