Coronavirus - Page 31 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Even if 200,000 pensioners die, it'll free up what, £25m a week? It's hardly a masterstroke.

Country will be losing more than that daily due to these measures.

Yes, but those losses were always going to happen. 

4 minutes ago, exile said:

Yeah, and some people said "The Govt knows what it's doing, it's following the science" "Don't listen to Twitter hordes" and "Keep Calm and Carry On"  (they were literally still saying it to my face, yesterday)

More details in that twitter feed.

I actually went back and read the 2018 paper on modelling yesterday and compared the data to reality. Conincidentally the paper and real life both had the same starting point for patient 0 here but Covid spread like 3 times quicker. I was speaking to my best mate about it last night who was more skeptical about the risks than i am so just been sending all the tweets to him to show that sounding reasonable at a press conference is no substitute for your data following reality.

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Do these health supplements actually work ? I completely agree that keeping yourself as healthy as possible is half the battle and taking supplements will do no harm, but do they actually do anything. Anytime I have taken supplements I have felt no difference whatsoever. 

As a supplement to good nutrition and not as a replacement for good nutrition, yes I think they can be helpful. Vitamin D especially during the winter months in the higher northern hemisphere is a good move. I am not sure the benefits would be perceptible unless you were scurvy level deficient on some. Problems may have manifested and you would not think to link it to a deficiency, it can be subtle. 

19 hours ago, Mox said:

What is also blatantly obvious, is how out of his depth Johnsone is, he's absolutely shitting himself.

The contrast between Johnson's vague, semi-literate mumblings and our FM's clear, calm information is stark.  Johnson is not fit to be a PM.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Even if 200,000 pensioners die, it'll free up what, £25m a week? It's hardly a masterstroke.

Country will be losing more than that daily due to these measures.

And kill 190,000 Tory voters. as much as Boris is a clown, he isn’t this daft. 

24 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

These morons are people?

Sadly yes

There is no defence for some, if not most, of the loutish behaviour

However being stuck in Benidorm on lockdown for over 48 hours it was fucking murder polis

The cabin fever was kinda diluted by worrying about getting home and having brains enough to stay 100% sober until we got home

I have no idea what my state would have been if i was still there now like some of these folk

It is honestly torture and as i said yesterday it was the closest thing to martial law without it actually being martial law

You have to be out your accommodation for a reason - groceries, water etc and it's understandable some folk will just say fuck it and look for a release

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sadly yes

There is no defence for some, if not most, of the loutish behaviour

However being stuck in Benidorm on lockdown for over 48 hours it was fucking murder polis

The cabin fever was kinda diluted by worrying about getting home and having brains enough to stay 100% sober until we got home

I have no idea what my state would have been if i was still there now like some of these folk

It is honestly torture and as i said yesterday it was the closest thing to martial law without it actually being martial law

You have to be out your accommodation for a reason - groceries, water etc and it's understandable some folk will just say fuck it and look for a release

Just spoke to my parents in France there. Full on lockdown now. If you want to go outside the house, you have to download and print a form. You have to fill in the reason you're outside (going to buy food, for example). If you don't have the correct paperwork, the police will fine you.

My Dad lives across the road from a hotel that was used by the Gestapo during the war. He was joking about it being 1940 all over again. 

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Just spoke to my parents in France there. Full on lockdown now. If you want to go outside the house, you have to download and print a form. You have to fill in the reason you're outside (going to buy food, for example). If you don't have the correct paperwork, the police will fine you.

My Dad lives across the road from a hotel that was used by the Gestapo during the war. He was joking about it being 1940 all over again. 

What if you don't have a printer?

5 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Self-certify that you’re exempt from self-isolation....... by order of ...... yersel!

Aye. The French love their bureaucracy though. I think this is just about hammering the message home. I doubt many people will actually get fined (well, apart from folk like that swimmer in Ally's video). 

6 minutes ago, jailender said:

The government have delayed implementing that until this is over.

To be correct, its the BBC that's not implementing it, not the government.  They're taking the hit.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:00 PM, thplinth said:

Italy seems a bit delayed in posting their numbers for good reason. But...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2500+ new cases and 250 new deaths in the last day. ooft.

Overall 10,000 new cases and 442 new deaths in the last day.

10,000 new cases took a long time to get to not that long ago. Now it is one day. What will it be like in a month.

Quoting the above for comparison...

Italy 3,526 new cases and 345 new deaths in the last day

Overall 14,737 new cases (and it is early still 8pm GMT) and 800 new deaths.

Check out the curves on the graph (link above)... they are steepening again.

407 new cases in UK and 16 new deaths. Boris' approach means he undoubtedly has and is going to have a lot of these deaths on his hands that could have been avoided.

Should surpass 200,000 cases before the end of the day.

Edited by thplinth

Hate to say it but I expect the internet to go down at some point. The sheer demand on it with everyone bored out their nut at home must be extraordinary right now. If that happens ooooh man. Communities and family used to be the societal glue that held shit together... now it is the internet. If it goes off I would expect a bit of a melt down. lol.