Coronavirus - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

12 hours ago, phart said:

Also Donny I was in Amboseli a few weeks back and looking at Kilamanjaro, you came to mind with that picture you posted of your burnt hands from climbing it.

Ha, that was a while ago (think it developed into an argument with someone about the possibility of living at altitude - the good ol' TAMB). Amboseli was parched when I was there. Hope you enjoyed it; it's a great part of the world.

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

Japan and China took it seriously early on. A very organized response and a public very committed to taking preventive measures. Both have now managaed to realtively squash it. Japan was second in the cases list early on they are now 15th with a low death rate and a very low rate per 1 million of population. China also now has a relatively low rate of cases per 1 million of population.  It does work but you have to have a population that will strictly enforce it (china and japan do but for different reasons) and you have to move quickly.

It's very puzzling, and of course I only see it from here, and I guess the Japanese government response was relatively swift but nothing like the scale of China and the virtual cutting off of Wuhan. If you take the Diamond Princess out of the equation, the number of reported cases still seems very low given the movement between neighbouring countries that had it bad, initially at least.

One factor might be the relative concentration of cases - S Korea seemed to be that Christian sect (dunno what it is about Koreans and the weirder fringes of Christianity), and China seemed to be able to contain it (Hong Kong seems to have escaped remarkably unscathed; I was there during SARS and it was way worse). So numbers were high but concentrated, and the vast majority of travellers were virus free.

In the case of Japan, there's also cultural factors. Apart from commuter trains there's not much physical contact - certainly the country's entire female population has been practising strict social distancing from me for getting on for five years; generally, the population is far fitter and more hygiene conscious than any other country I've known; restaurants are still popular, but almost always the kitchen is visible to the diners - food's often prepared in the same room, or at most behind glass, so habitual cleanliness is just part of the process. Makes a difference; maybe.

just announced in Calgary/Alberta province today (sunday 4pm ish)schools closed - likely thru til September

- after friday saying would stay open - despite other provinces shutting down

doesnt give folk much chance to organize alternatives for tomorrow / and likely a number of stay at home (health workers) and oil folks (tanking economy as is) until they find child care - oh and licensed day care homes are also shutting

am off to finish my bat soup

They have announced extra community testing two days after deciding to stop testing suspected coronavirus cases. I'm not sure I understand the logic of that? It's good that they are doing extra testing but they are going to miss out counting the folk who self isolate because they suspect they have been infected. Can anybody explain the thinking behind that one? Unless they are just trying to target anybody who is likely to come in contact with NHS staff?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51895936

Edited by Orraloon

8.20am and I could pick nigh on any seat  I wanted on the Johnstone -Glasgow train which is normally like a cattle market. Granted its a Monday which is normally slightly quieter,  but nothing like this. And thats with schools still being open. People do seem to be adhering to the advice.  

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

8.20am and I could pick nigh on any seat  I wanted on the Johnstone -Glasgow train which is normally like a cattle market. Granted its a Monday which is normally slightly quieter,  but nothing like this. And thats with schools still being open. People do seem to be adhering to the advice.  

Me and my wife are returning to Glasgow from Sydney with emirates on sunday , I have just looked at the seating, most of the seats are empty , we have paid extra to guarantee sitting to extra, looks like we didn’t need to 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Me and my wife are returning to Glasgow from Sydney with emirates on sunday , I have just looked at the seating, most of the seats are empty , we have paid extra to guarantee sitting to extra, looks like we didn’t need to 

7 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Ha, that was a while ago (think it developed into an argument with someone about the possibility of living at altitude - the good ol' TAMB). Amboseli was parched when I was there. Hope you enjoyed it; it's a great part of the world.

It's very puzzling, and of course I only see it from here, and I guess the Japanese government response was relatively swift but nothing like the scale of China and the virtual cutting off of Wuhan. If you take the Diamond Princess out of the equation, the number of reported cases still seems very low given the movement between neighbouring countries that had it bad, initially at least.

One factor might be the relative concentration of cases - S Korea seemed to be that Christian sect (dunno what it is about Koreans and the weirder fringes of Christianity), and China seemed to be able to contain it (Hong Kong seems to have escaped remarkably unscathed; I was there during SARS and it was way worse). So numbers were high but concentrated, and the vast majority of travellers were virus free.

In the case of Japan, there's also cultural factors. Apart from commuter trains there's not much physical contact - certainly the country's entire female population has been practising strict social distancing from me for getting on for five years; generally, the population is far fitter and more hygiene conscious than any other country I've known; restaurants are still popular, but almost always the kitchen is visible to the diners - food's often prepared in the same room, or at most behind glass, so habitual cleanliness is just part of the process. Makes a difference; maybe.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Obviously this guy must be missing something about the UK's genius strategy... but anyone know what it is?

https://eand.co/why-britains-coronavirus-strategy-is-literally-one-of-the-most-insane-things-in-modern-history-45c755f1db2d

See that a Singapore minister has ripped into us too (along with Switzerland).   UK will be a pariah state and all flights to us will be cancelled very soon I reckon.   Sorry, I don't mean to sound panicky.

1 hour ago, phart said:

This dude is qualified

Great.   It's just a cull we're having in this country.   A cynic (see thplinth's link) might also wonder how the city of London and its pension companies are expected to fare.

More 😋

Panic buying.   Predictable behaviour.   Saw it with petrol, and anyone remember the great 70s sugar shortage :o ?

From 2016 I actually started filling my bunker (ok, just a couple of shopping bags) with a few things in preparation for a sudden panic if a quick hard-brexit occurred.   Just picking a few things on 'special offer' and long use-by dates - though I didn't think of toilet paper.   Therefore not starting any panic myself.

With the brexit sign-off meaning customs were ok to 31-Dec this year, I started eating through my pasta & tins of soup and almost got through it when...

2 hours ago, phart said:

alternative view

This dude is qualified

Saying it is not the virus that kills you but a weakened immune system is not unusual. I belive quite a few other things 'kill' you in a similar manner... i.e. indirectly by provoking your own immune stsyetm to go radge on you by mistake (i.e. the cytokine storm thing). 

What he does so say that is more unusual (29.05) is that it is a high sugar diet that is one of the main contributing factors to a weakened immune system. I can testify to this from personal experience. It was very noticeable to me when I stopped eating anything with added sugar. (That rules out about 80% (or maybe 90%) of every supermarket.) You stop getting sick (mostly) or at least I did. I am not saying it will make you immortal but I really noticed it. I've been saying it for years on here but no cunt listens. lol.

Edited by thplinth

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Saying it is not the virus that kills you but a weakened immune system is not unusual. I belive quite a few other things 'kill' you in a similar manner... i.e. indirectly by provoking your own immune stsyetm to go radge on you by mistake (i.e. the cytokine storm thing). 

What he does so say that is more unusual (29.05) is that it is a high sugar diet that is one of the main contributing factors to a weakened immune system. I can testify to this from personal experience. It was very noticeable to me when I stopped eating anything with added sugar. (That rules out about 80% (or maybe 90%) of every supermarket.) You stop getting sick (mostly) or at least I did. I am not saying it will make you immortal but I really noticed it. I been saying it for years on here but no cunt listens. lol.

Some literature coming out this year (can't be arsed looking for it) say the root cause is inflammation (even for mental health) and sugar is really bad for causing it.

My best mates mum has cut out all extra sugar(obviously can't be avoided as present naturally in some things) and her arthritis and a few other things have dropped off dramatically since she started.

I've lost over 6 stone now but that's via calorie deficit/exercise and nutrition but in doing that obviously cut out all extraneous sugar as well.

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Great.   It's just a cull we're having in this country.   A cynic (see thplinth's link) might also wonder how the city of London and its pension companies are expected to fare.

It is starting to look like that. I knew the tories really did not care about ordinary people but this is a new low even for them. I saw some report saying if the vaccine was developed in 18 months that would be a record. 

I think it's possible for the vaccine to be a new record considering the resources being flung at it. It's still 18 months though.

That's Italy having a death every 4 minutes atm and it's just the Lombardy region not the whole country at that saturation level. France has about 50% of their ICU patients under 50 as well.