Coronavirus - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Dunno, I'd happily spend the next month in a Balinese beach hut...

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Dunno, I'd happily spend the next month in a Balinese beach hut...

Wee bit worried in getting back at the end of the month up in broome it’s only 2400 kms north of Perth Total isolation up here weather in the 40s no dramas in the shops; but kinda dreading going back after looking at those selfish cunts in the supermarkets fighting over fucking bog roll WTF 

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Well, that's not true. 

You're well aware that some people have a suspicion you're Chripper/TDK.

I’m well aware of those (false) accusations.

I was referring to this thread, where Farcity accused me of having conversations with myself. I’m wondering which account(s) they’re accusing me of being linked to.

It’s a really strange accusation to make. Is that a common issue on here?

Out of all the posts/conversations/debates/arguments/slanging matches that take place on here every day, what part of what I and someone else said made Farcity think ‘Hang on, that’s the same person logging out and in again, and having a ‘discussion’ with themself.’

A really odd conclusion to jump to, before we even get to how untrue it is!

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We are due to fly out in 3 weeks time. If the flight isn't cancelled, I'm still going. That's my thinking at present, but 3 weeks is a long time and I might change my mind.

Im away to Munich again in 5 weeks. If the flight is on and beer halls are open I’ll no be staying put for no cunt. 

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Schools shut. Pubs shut (well, they're shutting down after the 'CloseThePubs' outrage on Twitter today).

Also, lots of panic buying. The supermarkets are full of panic buying. I went to go get stuff on Wednesday... turned around when i saw all the twats in the queues.

This photo went viral on Irish social media. Really shows up the worst of us....

1.jpg

Thats a bloody sin. People really need to take a good look at themselves.
Yesterday in Morrisons the queues were up the aisles. I stood for 10 minutes not even moving. The manageress was trying to manage the queues People were, logically, trying to leave a gap between the tills and the start of the aisles so that shoppers who were not queuing could get by,  but the manageress had to try and manage this as other folk were just jumping in and skipping the queues. She said there was a queue outside the shop at 7am for it opening and that the shop had taken more money in 2 days than it had over 2 days at Christmas.

Bloody mental.  

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would extend that to anyone choosing to go to gatherings of any sort when it’s not a necessity is maybe not quite insane but they are putting themselves and others at risk.

I am supposed to be going to the Hydro on Saturday night with my husband and daughter. I assumed it would be cancelled but I got an email yesterday from Ticketmaster reminding me of the event .
I dont know if it is maybe just a standard email they have diarised to send out as I would be surprised if large events like this went ahead.   I was at the hydro a few nights ago but things have escalated a bit since then. 

I would be quite happy if it was cancelled. If I am going to contract a dose of coronavirus I would prefer it to be at the expense of someone other than David Gray. I am only going as my husband and daughter like him and got me a ticket too.

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would be quite happy if it was cancelled. If I am going to contract a dose of coronavirus I would prefer it to be at the expense of someone other than David Gray. 

😂 That did make me smile!

I am supposed to be seeing The Reytons next Saturday in The Mash House in Edinburgh. Small venue, only about 300. Heard nothing. I’m choosing to not go. Said since I got the tickets it’s the one band I want to see most this year. They can wait.

Following Wednesday due to see Slow Readers Club in the Liquid Rooms. About 800 capacity. They actually emailed yesterday saying that gig will still be on. Which actually annoyed me a lot. Again I will give it a miss.

Interested on hearing of the closing of pubs in Ireland - if the Scottish Gov doesn't close schools next week, then parents should take matters into their own hands. Ridiculous that they let the football and rugby authorities make the decision on games at the weekend - they should have been banned  last week - the Scottish Gov is seriously falling down on this. They are far too worried about "the economy" and not the people they represent - when this is over I would like to see politicians of all political stripes held to account for the decisions they are making now.

I expect it from Boris and chums but had hoped for better from the SNP - god help us Jeremy Hunt and Rory Stewart seem to be the only remaining politicians of any susbstance who seem to get the real seriousness of this

Edited by Lobey

This is the situation evolving in the Czech Republic...

Czech Republic went from all bars and restaurants must close between 8pm and 6am to, just 24 hours later, all must close for 10 days, but now including non essential shops, . Imagine the tourists who went there for a trip, room service only, if they have it!. Total travel lock down starting Monday, in and out of the country. No gathering private or public >10 people. It goes on... All shops with a list of exceptions (food shops, pharmacies etc) have been shut. The Prime Minister is saying the maximum stage is about to come. That will be a full lock down like Italy. Might even be difficult getting to a food shop at that point. 

Looking the numbers the Czechs have 20 cases per 1 million of population. Compare and contrast with the measures not being taken in the UK with 16.8m cases per 1 million of population. Someone is getting it very wrong.

Edited by thplinth

I've already had an email telling me that SLF  is cancelled on Thursday night, haven't heard anything about the alarm at the garage next Saturday but presuming that will be cancelled. 

Also have a couple of premier inns booked in the next couple of weeks and have received an email asking if we would like to rebook later in the year. 

11 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

😂 That did make me smile!

I am supposed to be seeing The Reytons next Saturday in The Mash House in Edinburgh. Small venue, only about 300. Heard nothing. I’m choosing to not go. Said since I got the tickets it’s the one band I want to see most this year. They can wait.

Following Wednesday due to see Slow Readers Club in the Liquid Rooms. About 800 capacity. They actually emailed yesterday saying that gig will still be on. Which actually annoyed me a lot. Again I will give it a miss.

I suppose it really is the choice and responsibility of each individual to do what they think is best. I suppose you cant really blame folk for going when the government is being wooly about what can and cannot go ahead. 
I had a look at the Hydros website , this is the current situation . 
I cannot understand why some events are going ahead and some are not. Surely the risk is there at every event. 

ATTENDING AN EVENT

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE: 13 MARCH

Following the latest instruction from the Scottish Government, we continue to work closely with the organisers of upcoming events across the campus. We are hopeful that the majority of events affected will be able to reschedule to a future date.

We will communicate on an event by event basis and would encourage people to visit the event listing section of the website for the latest information.

We were due to fly to New Zealand from Japan a few days ago, but decided against it. Non-essential, and the friend we were due to stay with is in her 70s, not worth the chance of picking something up on the plane and transferring it to her. Couple of days after we cancelled, NZ put all arrivals on self-isolation anyway (not sure how that would work in practice).

Seems odd that Japan hasn't seen higher numbers - most in Hokkaido - considering the amount of movement between here, S Korea & mainland China. Schools were closed a fortnight back, bit of a bog roll shortage for a while, but life's more or less as normal atm. A lot of talk about true numbers being suppressed from fear of Olympic cancellation, but don't think they'd be that daft.

Sorry to see you're having to self-isolate, Huddersfield. All the best :ok: [shit - the emoji bank has gone wank]

Bit of advice please? Intending to cancel my holiday to Australia. Heard this morning that we need to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival. Are we entitled to a refund or will we need to re-schedule? Trying to contact Emirates but there is a 7 hour waiting time. I just don't fancy spending the first 2 weeks of a 4 week holiday stuck in a house. Don't mean any harm but hoping the Australian Gov. stop all flights so it is taken out of our hands. My own thoughts are because we are cancelling/re-scheduling we are screwed.

21 minutes ago, Lobey said:

Interested on hearing of the closing of pubs in Ireland - if the Scottish Gov doesn't close schools next week, then parents should take matters into their own hands. Ridiculous that they let the football and rugby authorities make the decision on games at the weekend - they should have been banned  last week - the Scottish Gov is seriously falling down on this. They are far too worried about "the economy" and not the people they represent - when this is over I would like to see politicians of all political stripes held to account for the decisions they are making now.

I expect it from Boris and chums but had hoped for better from the SNP - god help us Jeremy Hunt and Rory Stewart seem to be the only remaining politicians of any susbstance who seem to get the real seriousness of this

Simple reason - if the Scottish Government acts before Johnson does then you'll get the usual suspects in the British press howling to the moon about undermining BoJo, politicising this situation. 

But I do agree though. We need to act further within the powers we have and not wait on this dithering UK Government 

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

I don’t recall where I saw it or how accurate it is but someone was saying travel insurance/ refunds were possibly effected when the WHO declared a pandemic. Force majeure type deal.

Which is exactly when you’d need insurance. Bastarding capitalism. 

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I don’t recall where I saw it or how accurate it is but someone was saying travel insurance/ refunds were possibly effected when the WHO declared a pandemic. Force majeure type deal.

The airlines will have a get out of compensation under the EU regulation 261/2004 as this will be classed as "extraordinary circumstances". So it will be up to individual airlines to decide whether they refund or not. For example if you're on Ryanair, forget it. 

That's where insurance comes in and it will depend on the terms and conditions of what insurance you have. 

Some, probably many, folk will lose out. Especially those who don't have insurance.

22 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Simple reason - if the Scottish Government acts before Johnson does then you'll get the usual suspects in the British press howling to the moon about undermining BoJo, politicising this situation. 

But I do agree though. We need to act further within the powers we have and not wait on this dithering UK Government 

Yes I think the Scottish Government could do more to take advantage of whatever flexibility it has to act. The British media howled not so much because of Nicola Sturgeon's policy but simply because she was swifter in action (as if stealing his thunder or making him look as if dragging feet). But the actual political opposition in Scotland seemed to accept or support her action. So I think the downside is neglible. In any case, doing what the opposition want *now* in line with UK Govt is not going to save them, if their strategy fails on thier watch, come 2021.

The Scottish Gvt really needs to look at what the WHO is advising and all the other countries except UK. They actually have a chance to make a difference and not get us sucked into the mire the UK is getting into.

Also Scots Govt should tell us a.s.a.p. which bits of the UK Govt advice apply in Scotland, as it's hard to tell how many of their advice/strategy is supposed to apply outside England.

Edited by exile

With Air NZ we were able to put the flights on hold for six months and then rebook within the next six months; so hoping to go this time next year with no penalty.

Emirates used to be twats, unless you'd gone for one of the more expensive ticketing options. I can see Emirates buying up every other global airline in the coming months as this'll fuck the lot of 'em.

Edited by DonnyTJS

32 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nice to see you back Donny. At least there has been one positive by product of the coronavirus 😊

Ey up, TDyer. I don't really think this can be classed as a positive, particularly since it was actually the demise of Genesis P. Orridge that brought me back (unless that was Covid19-related, which, considering the life s/he'd led, would be a bit of a bastard).

Edited by DonnyTJS

46 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

We were due to fly to New Zealand from Japan a few days ago, but decided against it. Non-essential, and the friend we were due to stay with is in her 70s, not worth the chance of picking something up on the plane and transferring it to her. Couple of days after we cancelled, NZ put all arrivals on self-isolation anyway (not sure how that would work in practice).

Seems odd that Japan hasn't seen higher numbers - most in Hokkaido - considering the amount of movement between here, S Korea & mainland China. Schools were closed a fortnight back, bit of a bog roll shortage for a while, but life's more or less as normal atm. A lot of talk about true numbers being suppressed from fear of Olympic cancellation, but don't think they'd be that daft.

Sorry to see you're having to self-isolate, Huddersfield. All the best :ok: [shit - the emoji bank has gone wank]

What do you think Japan has done differently. They seem to have it under control.

Just now, Orraloon said:

What do you think Japan has done differently. They seem to have it under control.

Honestly don't know. As said, school's closed a couple of weeks ago; most large gatherings banned (the current Osaka grand sumo championship is behind closed doors, museums, concert venues shut), but as I said, the number of Chinese and Koreans who were traveling here (and Japanese there) in the early days was huge, so you'd expect more hot-spots.