Coronavirus - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Hope you are coping. But it could be worse, imagine in the old days, no TAMB, no YouTube...

At the moment it just feels normal but my wife is packing her bags & moving out over the weekend. 

I’m going to find it hard to cope without the great love of my life...I’d hoped to get to the Wigan game on Saturday but that’s not going to happen now. Hard times. 

Just think Cheltenham, football, concerts etc all held this week too. There will be more people who have this than registered.

We'll see in two weeks, but I think the British government's inaction over this has been shocking. Governed by an absolute bunch of diddles (a bit like the US) who stil think they rule the waves, when in reality they are both fading star's who peaked and won't ever reach the lofty heights again.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, Grim Jim said:

To my ignorant eyes, we are attempting to slow (to one degree or another) the rate of spread.

Is that to reduce the load on hospitals or will the virus peter out if slowed?   How does this pan out long term?

I think the answer is about critical capacity - as I understand it, to put it bluntly: if there is a huge sudden peak more people will die overall.

So the solution is "flattening the curve" - see thplinth's chart on page 14, and explained in more detail here

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

This is why Nicola Sturgeon was talking today about the need to ensure there was enough health/public service capacity, by reducing demand and boosing supply

James Kelly also has a blog post on a related theme today:

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2020/03/how-government-are-playing-russian.html?showComment=1584039021381#c2898376781879564736

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Lucky you, extra hols isnt bad.

Under normal circumstances, for sure - Although I only mentioned our school's update to endorse your point

In reality we're due to fly out for a family holiday, that includes the Masters at Augusta, on April 1st - That's looking highly unlikely now

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

At the moment it just feels normal but my wife is packing her bags & moving out over the weekend. 

I’m going to find it hard to cope without the great love of my life...I’d hoped to get to the Wigan game on Saturday but that’s not going to happen now. Hard times. 

Sorry didn't realise about the wife. That seems harsh. Tough times indeed.

2 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Boris Johnson just said at his coronavirus public address that "Scottish public services were less resilient" - this seemed to be in relation to Nicola Sturgeon seeking a possible ban on public gatherings. No-one from the media pressed him on this. Strange.

Nobody pressed him because they wont get access if they do. 

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Sorry didn't realise about the wife. That seems harsh. Tough times indeed.

I never said that was anything to do with the virus 😁

She's in an awful position to be fair...either stay in isolation with me & not be able to help her parents or see the grandkids, or leave me here. Coming & going isn't really an option any more, so she's dumping me at this point.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

1 in 15 death rate :shocked:

As a comparison regular flu is around 1 in 1000...

My daughters friend has been teaching in Bergamo in Italy since last summer. Her boyfriend went skiing a couple of weeks ago in a different part of Italy and he cant go back to Bergamo just now, it is really bad there. 
Police are patrolling the streets to ensure people are adhering to the self isolation. When you go to a supermarket it needs to be arranged and there is a strict distance between everyone in the queue.  

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Really sorry to hear this Huddersfield. I am sure it will all be worth it and hopefully will not be long before she is back. ❤️

At least you have us to cheer you up .....

So here we go. My 2 sons schools have now cancelled classes for 3 weeks, Provincial decision by the premier. Fair enough. My youngest son is in a hockey tournament this weekend in Kingston, 2 hours from Ottawa. My wife does not want to go now, I dont blame her. It's a big tournament. So my wife called the hotel to cancel, which you have 24 hours before to do so. Now the hotel is saying it needed 48 hours and wont refund us.. What a load of shite. We are not the only parents to cancel. I think the hotels are feeling the backlash from this Corona thing. Anyhoo, I'm not paying £150 for a room in a hotel when the world has gone bat shit crazy over this virus.. Anyone else having a similar problem....

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So here we go. My 2 sons schools have now cancelled classes for 3 weeks, Provincial decision by the premier. Fair enough. My youngest son is in a hockey tournament this weekend in Kingston, 2 hours from Ottawa. My wife does not want to go now, I dont blame her. It's a big tournament. So my wife called the hotel to cancel, which you have 24 hours before to do so. Now the hotel is saying it needed 48 hours and wont refund us.. What a load of shite. We are not the only parents to cancel. I think the hotels are feeling the backlash from this Corona thing. Anyhoo, I'm not paying £150 for a room in a hotel when the world has gone bat shit crazy over this virus.. Anyone else having a similar problem....

Yes. Most of the planet.

3 hours ago, exile said:

I think the answer is about critical capacity - as I understand it, to put it bluntly: if there is a huge sudden peak more people will die overall.

So the solution is "flattening the curve" - see thplinth's chart on page 14, and explained in more detail here

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

This is why Nicola Sturgeon was talking today about the need to ensure there was enough health/public service capacity, by reducing demand and boosing supply

James Kelly also has a blog post on a related theme today:

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2020/03/how-government-are-playing-russian.html?showComment=1584039021381#c2898376781879564736

Yeah, I did see thplinth's post earlier today, thank you both.   So to me, most of us are going to get it, but we're hoping to slow the time-to-spread so NHS can cope better.    Still to read the Kelly blog, but in the meantime I do like the boosing supply idea...

Too slow to edit...

Yeah, I did see thplinth's post earlier today, thank you both.   So to me, most of us are going to get it, but we're hoping to slow the time-to-spread so NHS can cope better.    Still to read the Kelly blog, but in the meantime I do like the boosing supply idea...

Update:   OK James Kelly doesn't quite buy into this and believes it can be contained.   I'm not convinced (expert that I am not) on this occasion.   We're saying then that every time this happens we can snuff it out with actions drastic enough?

A radical response is available and affordable. If less than half of the funds used to bail out the bankers out of public monies in 2008 was given to the public then every adult and child in the uk could be afforded £3,000 per adult and £1,500 per child for an initial month lock down *. This would satisfy most needs . It won’t happen as our government does not function to the benefit or protection of the population. That is our reality. Let’s see how the Cheltenham Festival goes and they have their meeting at gchq

Edited by Shaundy
*control

Italy is a worry.

Check out the death rate of the Closed Cases versus the overall number of closed cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I had been expecting it to fall down a bit by now to the overall death rate. The overall death rate is still horrific at 7% but Italy now have over 2000 closed cases and of those 45% are closed because the person died. It is possible the virus takes out the vulnerable quickly but still...

Edited by thplinth

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Italy is a worry.

Check out the death rate of the Closed Cases versus the overall number of closed cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I had been expecting it to fall down a bit by now to the overall death rate. The overall death rate is still horrific at 7% but Italy now have over 2000 closed cases and of those 45% are closed because the person died. It is possible the virus takes out the vulnerable quickly but still...

Italy has twice the number of ICU facilities that the UK has per 1000 of population as well.