Coronavirus - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, beardy said:

This was clearly a Pandemic several weeks ago. I feel that the WHO delayed announcing it to allow people to sort out travel and insurance.

I remember reading that declaring a Pandemic invalidates travel insurance. Also I'm sure I read that low level health insurance in the USA is invalidated when a Pandemic is declared.  

When the shit hits the fan in america, thats when we will see the real drama. 

I think UEFA need to make the decision to cancel competitions now.  The situation is only going to get worse now.  Went to the Tesco in Peebles last night.  No pasta left! What the hell is that all about?  There were two cases of the virus in the Borders yesterday and people have panicked.  Try making a Pasta sauce with rice.  Wasn't too bad mind.  But seriously, I now think football comes second.

1 hour ago, beardy said:

Yup, half a million Americans are bankrupt medically each year. This will skewer a lot more. 

Michigan has announced a state of emergency after two cases discovered.

Oh and tom hanks has coronavirus

2 hours ago, beardy said:

This was clearly a Pandemic several weeks ago. I feel that the WHO delayed announcing it to allow people to sort out travel and insurance.

I remember reading that declaring a Pandemic invalidates travel insurance. Also I'm sure I read that low level health insurance in the USA is invalidated when a Pandemic is declared.  

I've been looking into this as I cancelled a holiday. What's generally speaking not covered is what they call 'disinclination to travel'. That includes a general fear of a pandemic & that would include fear that there might be one or that one has been declared. So in a sense declaring one makes no material difference to them probably not paying out in most cases. They are only really interested if either Government advice recommends you not to travel (generally or to the specific place you are going) or you have medical advice that you shouldn't travel.

Younger patients now in the mix. Looks like the elderly just succumb faster.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-italy-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8098831/Coronavirus-doctor-reveals-patients-intensive-care-young-40.html

This is why we needed to take preventative measure far sooner...

11SCI-VIRUS-TRACKER1-jumbo.jpg?quality=9

Edited by thplinth

20 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Chat of Boris closing the schools etc now, this is getting silly

I work at a local college / fee paying boarding school.

Breaking early for Easter (3 weeks and 2 days off) with plans to teach kids remotely post holidays.

Italy has closed all bars, restaurant and most shops. That is not a 3rd world country and they have excellent health care.

827 deaths out 12,462 cases. The growth chart is exponential.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Out of 1872 cases that have had an outcome 1045 recovered and 827 died. That is 44%! 

This is the only way to make it fizzle out.

https://staythefuckhome.com/

Meanwhile in the UK... nothing. The wider EU is not much better.

16 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Chat of Boris closing the schools etc now, this is getting silly

4 or 5 weeks ago I would have agreed with you. But it is better to get the control measures in place before the epidemic gets out of control. By that time it could be too late. It is already too late in some countries. I would rather be looking back in 6, 9, 12 months time saying that the authorities over reacted, than be seeing monster queues of folk trying to get into our hospitals in 1, 2 or 3 months time.

Boris isn't making these decisions on his own. He is relying on advice from our public health authorities.

9 minutes ago, Redz said:

I work at a local college / fee paying boarding school.

Breaking early for Easter (3 weeks and 2 days off) with plans to teach kids remotely post holidays.

Lucky you, extra hols isnt bad.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

4 or 5 weeks ago I would have agreed with you. But it is better to get the control measures in place before the epidemic gets out of control. By that time it could be too late. It is already too late in some countries. I would rather be looking back in 6, 9, 12 months time saying that the authorities over reacted, than be seeing monster queues of folk trying to get into our hospitals in 1, 2 or 3 months time.

Boris isn't making these decisions on his own. He is relying on advice from our public health authorities.

I'd rather my business doesnt go to shit if everything is forced to close and people are told not to leave their homes

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Italy has closed all bars, restaurant and most shops. That is not a 3rd world country and they have excellent health care.

Out of 1872 cases that have had an outcome 1045 recovered and 827 died. That is 44%! 

I'm amazed at the lack of response, especially with what has happened in Italy. The warning signs are there and it all happened in about 3 weeks.

The Italians knew it was coming, they cancelled elective surgery and tried  their best to empty the wards and they still were overrun. 

I just don't get it.

It's the same here in Australia. No aggressive action. 

What I don't get is why our numbers aren't larger especially with how exposed to Asia we are.

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Lucky you, extra hols isnt bad.

I'd rather my business doesnt go to shit if everything is forced to close and people are told not to leave their homes

It's easy to say that, until it's you or your parents who are waiting in that queue desperate to get some treatment to try to save your life.

I would hope it doesn't come to that but a bit of economic grief is better than dying. 

Initially I thought that this would be similar to SARS. I thought that even if it is 10 times or 20 times worse than SARS then it's not that major in the overall scheme of things. It is looking like this COVID-19 is going to be far, far worse than that. The UK still has a chance to do something before it gets out of control here. That chance won't be here forever.

14 minutes ago, beardy said:

I'm amazed at the lack of response, especially with what has happened in Italy. The warning signs are there and it all happened in about 3 weeks.

The Italians knew it was coming, they cancelled elective surgery and tried  their best to empty the wards and they still were overrun. 

I just don't get it.

It's the same here in Australia. No aggressive action. 

What I don't get is why our numbers aren't larger especially with how exposed to Asia we are.

Look at how slow it is growing now in China (assuming you trust the numbers). Lockdowns work. Hong Kong have managed to pretty much squash it as well doing the same.

The UK is doing nothing, open borders, unrestricted travel in and out and I am not aware they are even testing people in large numbers. It is a three monkeys approach to the problem. I could see people really turning on Boris and his government if this goes like Italy in the UK. (edit: same for the Scottish Government to be fair.)

This has the potential to put a lot of small businesses under water quite quickly. I see the Dow Jones futures are down over a thousand points again today. Another bloodbath session coming up. Global recession blah blah, disrupted supply chains etc... it is all very possible at this point. 

One amazing thing I read is that the US gets 90%+ of their generic drugs out of China (& India). This is a result of 'globalization'. Basically all production was outsourced starting in the 1990's. Britain probably did the same.

Edited by thplinth

33 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The WHO have the death rate as 3.4%.

For comparison the CDC flu figures for 18/19 were 34000 deaths from 35,000,000 infections. That's roughly 0.1%.

Those idiots who keep comparing it to the flu are out by at least a multiple of 34. 

Italy was ventilating one in ten patients. Fvck me that is a massive number. Search for your local ICU and see how many Level III beds it has, multiply by 10 and that is then at capacity for overall cases  It's scary how quickly the system can be overloaded.

This is very scary.