Coronavirus - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well if that is true (and I share your fears) we are really even more fucked.

The way it is spreading in Europe and the Middle East is vastly outpacing China now in terms of growth rates... China went into lockdown early... empty streets etc... look around you... we are all like yaaay everything is cool. I was in the pub earlier... it was packed.

Flights still flying everywhere... where are the preventative measures in Europe?

We don't even seem to be looking for it. Anyone been tested going through an airport in the UK, a station or whatever.

South Korea tested hundreds of thousands or people and wow they found it in large numbers.

The UK's approach is the three monkeys one.

In Kenya they were thermal scanning everyone for fever (not hugely effective but still) none of that coming back into Europe. This was weeks ago as well.

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well if that is true (and I share your fears) we are really even more fucked.

The way it is spreading in Europe and the Middle East is vastly outpacing China now in terms of growth rates... China went into lockdown early... empty streets etc... look around you... we are all like yaaay everything is cool. I was in the pub earlier... it was packed.

Flights still flying everywhere... where are the preventative measures in Europe?

We don't even seem to be looking for it. Anyone been tested going through an airport in the UK, a station or whatever.

South Korea tested hundreds of thousands or people and wow they found it in large numbers.

The UK's approach is the three monkeys one.

Im sure an Italian minister said the speed of it spreading didnt match the figures that the Chinese provided them. Now, I doubt that the Italians would cope with it worse than the Chinese. Their figures will be nonsense probably.

I hope flights are still flying, I have a Hong Kong to London flight a week on Monday.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

In Kenya they were thermal scanning everyone for fever (not hugely effective but still) none of that coming back into Europe. This was weeks ago as well.

You get scaned for temperature going into pubs hereĀ šŸ˜‚

Edited by kumnio

3 minutes ago, phart said:

Hang on, they were scanning you on the way into Kenya (weeks ago for this) but not out on the way back home? Really?! FFS... lol You just run of expletives.

I would not fly anywhere at this point. The risk is not to you personally, it is to any elderly relative you have that you will subsequently come into contact with. A death rate of 14-15% for the 80+ age bracket is massive. Even if it levels out at 3-4% overall it is massive.

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Hang on, they were scanning you on the way into Kenya (weeks ago for this) but not out on the way back home? Really?! FFS... lol You just run of expletives.

I would not fly anywhere at this point. The risk is not to you personally, it is to any elderly relative you have that you will subsequently come into contact with. A death rate of 14-15% for the 80+ age bracket is massive. Even if it levels out at 3-4% overall it is massive.

in and out of Kenya but not in and out of edinburgh and paris cdg.

Ā 

To my ignorant eyes, we are attempting to slow (to one degree or another) the rate of spread.

Is that to reduce the load on hospitals or will the virus peter out if slowed?Ā Ā  How does this pan out long term?

It's my (limited) understanding that these things spread everywhere until the remaining population is immune.Ā Ā  If you are in an isolated population, you just don't build immunity and it (or a similar virus) may blight you later on.

Modern travel gets us to the end point faster, which is terrible for the folk that can't cope.Ā Ā  I never used to go jump in the car to visit my mother if I had a cold.

[I'm trying to ask questions here, and apologise if I come across badly like bawbag Bojo.]

25 minutes ago, phart said:

in and out of Kenya but not in and out of edinburgh and paris cdg.

Ā 

That was interesting, especially the point about how smoking was the Achilles heel that made so many Chinese people above a certain age so vulnerable to this virus while for us in the West it could be obesity that proves to be the killer variable.

UK is doubling rate is projected to speed up, we're 13 days behind Italy in modelling. I've pretty much self-isolated since I realised I was wrong to think it wasn't that serious. It will take months for this to burn out. Hopefully a lot more folk start to realise they were wrong too.

some more numbers

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
Ā 
8.0%
60-69 years old
Ā 
3.6%
50-59 years old
Ā 
1.3%
40-49 years old
Ā 
0.4%
30-39 years old
Ā 
0.2%
20-29 years old
Ā 
0.2%
10-19 years old
Ā 
0.2%
0-9 years old
Ā 
no fatalities

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Was it not cancelled last year for horse flu or something like that?

No, was cancelled in 2001 due to foot in mouth.

One of the days was cancelled in 2008 ( I think due to storms)

That's all I can remember. I normally go down and was down in 2008 but thankfully not the day it was cancelled!

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Anyone else get the feeling this government is more concerned about our economy?

No question, this is capitalism in action, the cost is being counted in pounds rather than bodies.