Coronavirus - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

4 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Iā€™m going to show some total ignorance here.....

What do face masks do? Are you not still breathing the same air? Do they have some kind of filter system within them? Or is there another obvious way that they work, and Iā€™m being totally stupid? Iā€™ve often wondered that, when I see people wearing them for pollutionĀ reasons rather than infection reasons.

Surgical face masks do help if you are in close contact with infected people as they act as a barrier to ingesting the particles they may be coughing and sneezing out. They do not protect against pollution, as those particles are much smaller and are not filtered out.

Interestingly, the trend in wearing face masks in ChinaĀ started when they were advised to do so during the SARS outbreak, and afterwards they continued to wear them as they had a misguided belief they would help protect against pollution. Ironically, studies have shown that wearing them for pollution can actually be detrimental, as people end up spending more time out in polluted air because they feel protected.Ā 

Right now, don't worry about face masks. Make sure you're avoiding contact with as many public surfaces as you can, and wash your hands regularly,Ā  especially after making contact withĀ surfaces. Finally, don't touch your face (which is legitimately impossible).

13 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Surgical face masks do help if you are in close contact with infected people as they act as a barrier to ingesting the particles they may be coughing and sneezing out. They do not protect against pollution, as those particles are much smaller and are not filtered out.

Interestingly, the trend in wearing face masks in ChinaĀ started when they were advised to do so during the SARS outbreak, and afterwards they continued to wear them as they had a misguided belief they would help protect against pollution. Ironically, studies have shown that wearing them for pollution can actually be detrimental, as people end up spending more time out in polluted air because they feel protected.Ā 

Right now, don't worry about face masks. Make sure you're avoiding contact with as many public surfaces as you can, and wash your hands regularly,Ā  especially after making contact withĀ surfaces. Finally, don't touch your face (which is legitimately impossible).

I still donā€™t understand how they act as a barrier? Youā€™re still breathing the same air arenā€™t you, just from inside the mask, rather than outside it? Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

I still donā€™t understand how they act as a barrier? Youā€™re still breathing the same air arenā€™t you, just from inside the mask, rather than outside it? Am I missing something?

Air particles yes, but a cloud of suspended saliva etc (sent out by a cough or sneeze) carrying the virus will be blocked by the barrier, just like putting your hand in front of your face. Even better, get the infected person to wear a mask!

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"Richard Hatchett, the doctor leading efforts to find a vaccine for coronavirus, says it is much more lethal than normal flu."

It is far too early to know that for sure. Not enough data yet. Lot's of folk trying to get themselves noticed.

I think what's worrying them is how highly infectious/easily transferrable it is and it's that which makes it more dangerous

Ā 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think what's worrying them is how highly infectious/easily transferrable it is and it's that which makes it more dangerous

Ā 

We have seen a few of these crop up over the years....bird flu and SARS from memory. I canā€™t remember any of those causing the cancellation or requirement to be football games behind closed doors.Ā 

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

We have seen a few of these crop up over the years....bird flu and SARS from memory. I canā€™t remember any of those causing the cancellation or requirement to be football games behind closed doors.Ā 

TheĀ novel coronavirus detected in China is genetically closely related to the SARS-CoV-1 virus. SARS emerged at the end of 2002 in China, and it caused more than 8 000 cases in 33 countries over a period of eight months. Around one in ten of the people who developed SARS died.

The current COVID-19 outbreakĀ causedĀ around 7ā€Æ000Ā reportedĀ casesĀ in ChinaĀ during the first month after initial reports (January 2020), with a further 80 000 cases reported globally during the second month (February 2020). Of these first 87 000 cases, aboutĀ  3000 died.Ā CasesĀ are now being detected inĀ Europe and across the globe. See the latest situations updates for the latest available information.Ā 

While the viruses that cause both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are transmitted from person-to-person and may cause similar symptoms, the two virusesĀ are very different andĀ do not behave in the same way. ECDC estimates that between 15 000 and 75 000 people die prematurely due to causes associated with seasonal influenza each year in the EU, the UK, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. This is approximately 1 in every 1000 people who are infected. By comparison, the current estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per 1000 people.

Despite the relatively low mortality rate for seasonal influenza, many people die from the disease due to the large number of people who contract it each year. The concern about COVID-19 is that, unlike influenza, there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for the disease. It also appears to be as transmissible as influenza if not more so. As it is a new virus, nobody has prior immunity which in theory means that the entire human population is potentially susceptible to COVID-19 infection.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Global bedwetting and you lot are party to it. šŸ™„

Look to your laurels, look at your face! šŸ¤”

I think it is an over reaction but understand why people on the at risk category will be worried, the media as usual are stirring the pot.Ā 

Governments and companiesĀ areĀ responding the way they are becauseĀ if they aren'tĀ seen to be doing something they will be savaged. This is an infection, not global warming.Ā 
Ā 

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Global bedwetting and you lot are party to it. šŸ™„

Look to your laurels, look at your face! šŸ¤”

Should the 2nd sentence not be the other way around? If it is you're also quoting a tweet from a Scottish Fighter(Celtic fan) from last week.

Considering the transmission rate and the emerging mortality profile some of us have grounds to be worried. I for example am the primary carer for someone in their 90's with respitatory issues.

52 minutes ago, phart said:

Should the 2nd sentence not be the other way around? If it is you're also quoting a tweet from a Scottish Fighter(Celtic fan) from last week.

Considering the transmission rate and the emerging mortality profile some of us have grounds to be worried. I for example am the primary carer for someone in their 90's with respitatory issues.

Yes, I was quoting Tom commentator of Rangers TV fame.Ā 

Yes, I get some people are worried. All I am saying is that they are fuds! šŸ‘Š

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ā 

ItĀ was looking like it had settled down to about 1 to 2K new cases a day which would have been not too bad. But in recent days it's started to head upwards again to about 3 to 4K new cases per day. To give some perspective, the peak in China never got much above 5K per day. I think that health professionals can only see that number getting higher over the next few weeks.

It's still only 100K cases and 3.5 K deaths so far but that has all happened in the space of a couple of months. It looks like we will be past the "containment" phase within the next couple of weeks.Ā 

Ā 

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

ItĀ was looking like it had settled down to about 1 to 2K new cases a day which would have been not too bad. But in recent days it's started to head upwards again to about 3 to 4K new cases per day. To give some perspective, the peak in China never got much above 5K per day. I think that health professionals can only see that number getting higher over the next few weeks.

It's still only 100K cases and 3.5 K deaths so far but that has all happened in the space of a couple of months. It looks like we will be past the "containment" phase within the next couple of weeks.Ā 

Ā 

Indeed

Another perspective is that the Spanish Flu (also highly transferrable) infected 50 million people worldwide between 1918 and 1920 when Global Travel was in it's infancy - nae Jets taking people from one corner of the world to another in a matter of hours

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Indeed

Another perspective is that the Spanish Flu (also highly transferrable) infected 50 million people worldwide between 1918 and 1920 when Global Travel was in it's infancy - nae Jets taking people from one corner of the world to another in a matter of hours

Current thinking is that air travel has little impact on the overall numbers of people infected on a global scale by viruses. It will affect how widespread the infections are, but overall numbers are not changed much with,Ā  or without, air travel. This is one of the reasons why international air travel has not been shut down.

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Yes, I was quoting Tom commentator of Rangers TV fame.Ā 

Yes, I get some people are worried. All I am saying is that they are fuds! šŸ‘Š

An incoherent view but what can one expect considering your sources.

2 hours ago, phart said:

An incoherent view but what can one expect considering your sources.

The Tom commentator reference was clearly a joke, unless........ unless you're maybe not as smart as you think you are. šŸ¤”