Coronavirus - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Different cultures have different values. Folk in the west, in general, are OK with boiling things like mussels and lobsters alive but would draw the line well before boiling a live cat. These old school Chinese folk probably think of dogs and cats as no different to snails or any other animal in that respect. We think it's weird and horrible behavior to boil live cats but some Chinese folk think nothing of it. We have some weird behaviour when it comes to animals as well. We have all seen folk taking their dog for a "walk" but the dog is in a pram. Now, that is fukin weird behaviour in my book,. Almost as weird as boiling a live cat.

Mussels and lobsters cant feel pain, and wont scream in pain if harmed, dogs and cats will. It would take a certain kind of psychopath to do that in the West, or an average Chinese person.

Id argue its not culture, China and Taiwan split only 70 years ago, but Taiwan is a first world country, and would never tolerate, let alone participate in similar behaviour.

If you take pleasure in harming animals, Id suggest youre an uneducated wanker, be in a Chinese person participating in skinning a dog, or a Yank shooting a lion. 

30 million Chinese starved to death under communism. They were eating anything to survive. Apparently this is where a lot of the weird shit that gets eaten started.

I can’t get my head around bird’s nest soup. Surely that must be totally caked in bird shite?

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

30 million Chinese starved to death under communism. They were eating anything to survive. Apparently this is where a lot of the weird shit that gets eaten started.

Yep, the CCP created these issues, not culture.

China is a failed social experiment, carried out by a series of dictators with varying degrees of success and morality.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

One for the conspiracy theorists. 

Coronavirus – An Orchestrated Overreaction?

I wonder whether part of the worry is this idea that we're overdue some horrible pandemic.  Spanish Flu often crops up in these types of conversations. I'm no virologist and have no idea to what extent scientists think they can predict future trends based on the past, inductive arguments can only give levels of probability.  Politicians and health experts have a difficult balancing act between overreacting and causing hysteria and downplaying a threat and not taking it seriously.  Hopefully one result at my school will be teenagers with better personal hygiene as more of them might actual wash their hands better after going to the loo!

I've only just noticed that the WHO put the death rate at 3.4%

That is a tad worrying since the Spanish Flu epidemic which killed (at a low scale) between 30 and 40 million was about 2.8%

I'm actually raging my reply to Huddersfield didnt even warrant a titter

Nae wonder the board is fucking dying - that was a classic IMO

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I saw it as a subliminal message about how to deal with my anxiety & went straight to the pub where I sat chuckling into each of my several pints all afternoon.  

I’m discovering that one of the advantages of having a serious lung disease is that all I have to do to get a seat is just walk in & start a coughing fit. One of my phlegmy specials. The place cleared in seconds. 

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Well I got it. What do you want? a bunch of sycophantic smilies up your bum?

naw... we are are way too cool for that. it is is you who is out of step pal.

edit oh god I better add a :lol:

Edited by thplinth

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Markets always react to fear, nothing new there.

I know they do , but thats not the point.  The point is: 

‘who or what is really driving this and are the parties behind it really being responsible with their roles or are they intentionally misleading the markets in clandestine effort to benefit from losses?’

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I wonder whether part of the worry is this idea that we're overdue some horrible pandemic.  Spanish Flu often crops up in these types of conversations. I'm no virologist and have no idea to what extent scientists think they can predict future trends based on the past, inductive arguments can only give levels of probability.  Politicians and health experts have a difficult balancing act between overreacting and causing hysteria and downplaying a threat and not taking it seriously.  Hopefully one result at my school will be teenagers with better personal hygiene as more of them might actual wash their hands better after going to the loo!

This is very true. You are damned if you do and damned if you dont. 

You are going too far on the teenagers personal hygiene though 😁 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

You can’t big up your own joke! If it was met with tumbleweed, then accept it and move on. You can’t throw in a call back to the post, and have a second try! Poor form.

58 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

You can’t big up your own joke! If it was met with tumbleweed, then accept it and move on. You can’t throw in a call back to the post, and have a second try! Poor form.

Image result for hot fuzz crossword

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

OK I'll admit it. I just don't see how a one eyed man holding up a pint is funny? If it was, my local boozer would be a comedy club.

He is winking and the frame of reference is "wait till it all blows over" 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

He is winking and the frame of reference is "wait till it all blows over" 

OK, if that's what passes for "comedy" then my local boozer is a comedy club. Maybe it's funny if you've seen the whole film, I suppose? But if that's one of the highlights then I don't think I'll bother.

Breaking news: Former Hearts and Scotland manager Craig Levein nonchalantly admits he originally created the Coronavirus in his secret home laboratory "to give all they moaning cunts who hounded me out of two jobs where I was lord and master - a taste of their own medicine !"

Image result for craig levein

I am very worried now. Not for myself but I have a few elderly relatives including both parents who are right in the danger zone now. One has a history of having a weak chest as well. It is extremely concerning at this point. Just don't see how they can stop this. The worst thing is you could end up infecting them yourself. Fucking nightmare.

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I am very worried now. Not for myself but I have a few elderly relatives including both parents who are right in the danger zone now. One has a history of having a weak chest as well. It is extremely concerning at this point. Just don't see how they can stop this. The worst thing is you could end up infecting them yourself. Fucking nightmare.

I think you're right...I'm starting to move past the joking around about it phase (Phase 1 in my version of the Government's strategy) & am getting to the next phase of 'bloody hell this could get nasty'. My wife (generally fit as a fiddle herself) has me with a serious lung problem, her mum & dad are both generally in good health but in their mid/late 80s plus 2 very young grandchildren. She's glued to the news every night now thinking that one bit of bad luck & she could end up wiping out half her family.

It's weird but a few years ago, I used to go to various strategic planning groups for my work & we once had a civil servant present the national risk assessment tool used for various planning activities. It was stamped 'highly confidential' although he said he didn't really think anyone cared too much if it leaked out. It was the usual mix of likelihood & severity. The only thing on it that was marked as both high likelihood & severe impact was a global pandemic. I've pretty much had it in my head ever since that one of these days...& even if we fix this one there's probably another not far down the tracks.

Anyway, that's enough misery for one day. I'm away to look for some places beginning with T.

I am now also starting to think this might be worse than I had expected. Initially I thought "Ach it's just another virus which will kill a few 100,000 folk then get largely forgotten about". But It's starting to look like it could be a bit more serious than that. 

What's happening in Italy is what has got me worried. They don't seem to have that under control and the mortality rate seems to be much higher there. That could be down to a number of different reasons and hopefully the stats have just been distorted a wee bit by something which hasn't been highlighted yet. 

Time to get the respirators out of the garage and go into lockdown. I'm no answering the door to anyone.

Shaking hands should be banned immediately, and as for all that hugging nonsense, that has always been ridiculously daft behaviour.